IGNORED

Semenyo

BCFC Rich

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, he scored 4 on debut, a hatrick v Cov on Boxing Day, and another 12 goals in 120-odd games!

And the best game I ever saw Joe play for us was as a makeshift centre-half at Notts Forest. His heading was exemplary. Never mind his 4 goal debut (I was there) but Joe should've been converted into a full time centre back.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, he scored 4 on debut, a hatrick v Cov on Boxing Day, and another 12 goals in 120-odd games!

Royle was a childhood hero of mine when at Everton (my mother wrote to him to get me his autograph,) so was made up when rumoured he was coming to AG.

Memory fails and I know he signed in the November though had thought on debut he played via a special 'loan' arrangement. I recall there was a last minute hitch with the paperwork with doubt he could figure on the Saturday, so after he scored the 4 everybody was desperate to make sure the signing was ratified.  Pretty sure he didn't score more than that for the remainder of the season (the Cov hat-trick match being the season after 'the fix'.)

Not doubting your stats but if true, those two games aside, that's 9 in 118, hence my comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nov 25th 1977 - in a 4-1 win over Middlesborough.

My first ever City game. I think we finished 17th that season (77-78), which was a good result after the previous season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

My first ever City game. I think we finished 17th that season (77-78), which was a good result after the previous season.

This happended before I'd attended my first game. But it started my Bristol City scrapbook. I'm sure I remember making the 'glue' out of flour and water.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@BTRFTGi didn’t start going until 78.  My first game was Liverpool (1-0 Royle shanked volley), my second game was Coventry a few weeks later on Boxing Day (5-0 Royle hatrick).  It wasn’t until some years later I looked at his stats and saw how poor they were bar those 2 games and his debut!

I slightly exaggerated his appearances though!

image.thumb.png.c0c6c1ed83b7b45122ae0d732dba5c7f.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Semenyo

Haven’t listened yet.

re Nige’s interview, it seems him and @BTRFTGare more aligned on ages of players  breaking into the first team (doffs cap?) and holding down a spot.  Nige says 18/19….I think a bit older.  In my defence, as per my “one loan too many” article, I am definitely an advocate of at least finding out early whether they can swim straight away or not.  In the past we haven’t given players a chance early enough.  I do believe that players like Benarous have benefitted from training daily as part of the first team group, let alone playing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Haven’t listened yet.

re Nige’s interview, it seems him and @BTRFTGare more aligned on ages of players  breaking into the first team (doffs cap?) and holding down a spot.  Nige says 18/19….I think a bit older.  In my defence, as per my “one loan too many” article, I am definitely an advocate of at least finding out early whether they can swim straight away or not.  In the past we haven’t given players a chance early enough.  I do believe that players like Benarous have benefitted from training daily as part of the first team group, let alone playing.

The only bright thing about this season is the kids he's played. Are they good enough? I don't know. But by next season they'll have had a good few games under their belt, hopefully the likes of promising Pring will have ironed out his needless and costly challenges. If they haven't progressed I'm sure they'll be offloaded.

I think Pearson calls kids brilliantly, gives them a chance, as it should be. None of this early 20's 'one for the future' rubbish.

• Like 1