IGNORED

Non parachute payment clubs

Alan Dicks

6 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Do we really stand a chance of competing against those clubs in the championship who have parachute payments?

seems to me the gap widens every year.

Obviously, if well spent, PP gives sides a massive advantage BUT you only have to look at Brentford last season to see what can be done without PP.

• Like 1

before I dip into the Hendricks tonight....yes nearly the same teams are competing for the same prizes in a circle every year. Norwich, Baggies, Watford, Newcastle, Fulham.....and money is the difference. The oddity of Bournemouth and Brentford was good to see. and I'd love City to be one of those "oddity" teams, but it wont be this year and it wont be next year. I began my working life in 1981 (we all know what happened in 1982) and I'd love to see City in the top flight this side of retirement. Newcastle should power through the Championship next season (so thats one place gone already)

Edited by Sweeneys Penalties

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

We had our chance. Lansdown backed the wrong horse. 

Now we’ve got a lot of work to do before we’ll be in such a position again. 

Think what you said sums it up perfectly. Looks like it’s gonna take years to get back to that level which is why people need to be more patient with nige and understand he can’t work miracles in one full season .

18 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Didn’t they lose 7 nil v Fulham?

Yeah but they are competing in the league without PP and with FFP.

So can they compete directly with Fulham and Bournemouth? probably not. Can teams do well in the league without PP yes they can.

Edited by Pezo
  • Like 2

Here’s a list of all teams that have been in receipt of PPs since the first season we were back in the Champ (15/16).

image.thumb.png.3f796d1d01ac0310945a50f88ae13aeb.png

22 teams!!!

25 teams in the list though, as Brentford, Brighton and Leeds haven’t had them in our time, but would if they got relegated going forward (future proofing my spreadsheet ?).  Cardiff, Fulham, Hull, Norwich and West Brom have been in receipt of two are more sets of PPs.

Sunderland, Wigan and Bolton are now in Lg1 (Hull have been).  Bolton have been in Lg2.

13 current Championship teams have had PPs at some point.  If West Brom or Fulham don’t go up this season (and we don’t go down), they will have received £155m and £157.50m respectively in PPs is the time we’ve been in the champ!!!

Shocking innit!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

How did they fair against Fulham ?

but yes that is our target and has been steady progress over a number of years . It’s slow and you need patience . Brentford were also a good reference . COVID has changed much too. And widened the gap . 

To be fair in that game they played an hour with 10 men (at 0-2) after having a man sent off.

I think Mowbray has been in charge for longer than anyone else in The Championship (5 years next month) he is very much a Pearson contemporary, so that gives me a reason to be positive about our current set up.

Blackburn are doing quite nicely. Sheffield United under Wilder did really well. Brentford of course. Leeds and Wolves non PP but both went for broke a bit, stars can need to align however. 

Huddersfield via momentum surged, Brighton spent big but would have hit FFP within a year or 2.

Can need the stars to align a bit. Barnsley nearly last year, Coventry have kicked on bit remains to be seen how long things go well there this season.

43 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

How can a league spout financial fair play yet allow another entity to inflate the budget of some teams by 40 m ? I’m surprised there has been no legal challenge to that as it is anything but fair play . If I were a multi billionaire why am I not allowed to give my team the same 40 m as a Fulham / WBA etc ? The Coates family asked that question a while back , it needs a legal challenge . 

I can see why some might think this a good idea but then what happens why the so called millionaire/billionaire decides they’ve had enough and the club goes bust. Nobody really wants that.

So you could stop clubs getting so a PP but then that gives those teams going up to the prem even less chance to compete through fear of going down to the champ again with players they can’t afford.

The only fair way to deal with this is for the prem TV money to be distributed equally to all 92 clubs. The bigger clubs would still have an advantage through the turnover they would still get over smaller clubs but it gives the smaller clubs a better chance and the more medium clubs a chance to build themselves up to be able to become bigger clubs themselves.

The downside to that even is that english clubs wouldn’t be able to compete for the top players with other big european clubs who’d be able to pay the crazy wages.

Would that be such a bad thing though?

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Think what you said sums it up perfectly. Looks like it’s gonna take years to get back to that level which is why people need to be more patient with nige and understand he can’t work miracles in one full season .

I have been patient for 42 years since 1980!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 78 will I ever see us there again?

Defeatist mentality. 

Sure those Clubs that haven’t got billionaire owners look at us and think it’s all unfair. Doesn’t stop them beating us.

Neither should we roll over and let parachute payment Clubs take the 3 points. 

Yes complain at EFL committee meetings, but as soon as you start whinging in public, there’s a ready-made excuse for our players. 

A well-drilled decent team should always be capable of competing with and beating a collection of footballers that are the next grade up.

• Flames 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

How can a league spout financial fair play yet allow another entity to inflate the budget of some teams by 40 m ? I’m surprised there has been no legal challenge to that as it is anything but fair play . If I were a multi billionaire why am I not allowed to give my team the same 40 m as a Fulham / WBA etc ? The Coates family asked that question a while back , it needs a legal challenge . 

I've raised this point here several times, I know that won't change it, maybe it needs more action, if all the clubs took a combined action, maybe they'd get somewhere?  The Championship has become pretty meaningless for me, I am struggling to maintain interest in such a 'fixed' competition.  

It’s making what used to be a really competitive league a bit of a joke. It’s now getting like the prem where hardly anyone new can get up. Blackburn are doing well and along with QPR it shows what standing by good managers for 3-4 years can do for you despite not having great funds. City will need to do the same with Pearson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

We had our chance. Lansdown backed the wrong horse. 

Now we’ve got a lot of work to do before we’ll be in such a position again. 

Couldn’t have worded it better to be honest.

People bemoaning the fact we can’t compete with the clubs with PP but it was only a few summers ago we were spunking millions left right and centre on players. £8 million on a centre half ffs, millions and millions on dross/questionable signings like KP Nagy Dasilva etc etc.

Somebody posted a list of the signings we made under LJ and Ashton’s watch and it was eye watering to be quite frank. We have had the money to compete with the PP clubs but just haven’t spent it wisely.

As you said the wrong horse was backed by Lansdown, we have had our chance and we had MORE than enough money in the war chest to have had a right go in this division but we didn’t.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Lordofthebling said:

I do believe though that the youngsters coming through have so much potential. I'm genuinely more excited by this group than ever before - a group where 3 or 4 of them are already championship players. 

We’ve got the potential to have a core of academy players that can get us into the top 6. Said it before but we should be tying these players down as soon as possible, rather than clamouring to sell them to bring in more deadwood.

Parachute payments and FFP certainly aren't ideal, and in practice have the effect of gatekeeping certain leagues (or sub leagues). The financial effects of COVID have worsened this, and now the Prem/Championship boundary just seems like a revolving door for the same handful of clubs. (I appreciate there's a few exceptions).

However, it has to be acknowledged that we've been one of the least efficient spenders in the Championship over the last few years. In terms of value for money our squad must be right down there. Comparatively, look at clubs like Millwall, Coventry and Luton competing for top half finishes whilst spending a fraction of what we have. 

Non PP clubs like City will get one good season where it all comes together every 6 or 7 years and it is so important that when that chance of promotion comes its taken. We've had two opportunities at it now under SL and neither were taken as the managers weren't backed in the January window.

Other than the one good season every so often we will always just be treading water in this division unfortunately.