IGNORED

Match Report: Semenyo power surge but Fulham shock City defence

Olé

A power cut at Craven Cottage threatened to derail City's ominous trip to a high flying, goalscoring Fulham side. But with the game on, Nigel Pearson's side stormed to not one but two leads thanks to a real power surge from all action Antoine Semenyo, but at the other end they could not compete in the air and collapsed to an eventual 6-2 reverse.

The seven goal first half was breathless and featured Semenyo twice abusing defenders on the run to lash home, yet a failure to win a single header against Mitrovic nor to get close to man of the match Kebano saw City well beaten by a succession of easy finishes into one or other of Max O'Leary's top bins, evidence if needed of a defence overrun.

City's bright start was in evidence after just 2 minutes as Semenyo dropped a shoulder slipped inside a defender to sting the keepers hands. In just 5 minutes it was 1-0, a quick throw out from O'Leary and Scott roamed out of midfield, set Semenyo clear from the left, the young forward skipping easily past a defender before lashing the roof of the net.

After 12 Mitrovic headed wide at very close range from a corner and soon after Kebano ran at goal but smashed the ball well wide. It was a warning and on 20 Wilson on the right slipped the ball inside for Kebano who had time in the box to lift it back across goal for Mitrovic, who pushed off from Vyner two handed and headed into the bottom corner.

Kebano was drifting into space repeatedly - on 25 he collected on the edge of the box to curl goalwards. A minute later he had space on the left to cross and from a header back Mitrovic close range header was tipped over by O'Leary. Yet one quick ball upfield and Semenyo outmuscled a defender on halfway ran on goal and slammed in off the post.

A second limbs moment in the noisy away end should setup an amazing afternoon for the boisterous away following and yet in just seconds the game was level as O'Dowda slipped under pressure and Fulham raced in on the right, O'Leary didn't hold the cross as Mitrovic headed in and the ball spun free for Kebano to stab home the easiest of goals.

Within just 5 minutes Fulham took their first lead, the powderpuff O'Dowda on the break underhittting a backheel to King which was a complete swing of possession allowing Carvalho to run at goal with defenders to a man back tracking before he curled into the far top corner. Before 40 a slip got DaSilva in behind and Weimann's shot was blocked.

With just 5 minutes left in the half Mitrovic  headed in easily steering the ball onwards to the same corner of the net. By now City's defenders had offered little in the way of defence and were well on course for a huge defeat. A quick Massengo exchange on half time gave the ball away, a break via the right channel seeing Mitrovic curl into top corner.

Being 5-2 down at half time is more or less uncharted territory and within a few minutes of the second half Rob Atkinson came on for Massengo and Chris Martin for DaSilva. On 55 O'Dowda was fouled by the corner flag and when the free kick into the box was half cleared King sent a rasping half volley just wide of the near post with players stranded.

But before the hour Fulham got a sixth, yet again a move from the right, a free kick from the channel and once more a header down beyond the far post, Kebano on hand to turn in. Scott would test Fulham's keeper after Pring was cut down, Atkinson heading onto the roof of the net, and Weimann in attack would next also shoot straight at the keeper 

Yet from a fixture that started with a power cut and where Semenyo twice destroyed the Fulham defence, it was City that flatlined - a 1-0 and 2-1 lead quickly collapsing to what became a one sided result for Fulham and its' fans - static, occasionally waving bits of paper, but ultimately able to enjoy ending a 5 game winning run in emphatic fashion.

O'Leary 5

DaSilva 5

Pring 6

Vyner 3

Kalas 4

King 5

Massengo 6

Scott 5

O'Dowda 2

Weimann 6

Semenyo 8

Martin 5

Atkinson 5

Bakinson 5

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Its history but Eliasson was an outstanding winger with crosses who found his team mates. You only have to compare stats COD-Eliasson. For me is it still kind of fun that COD was before Eliasson in our team. NE was our best assistplayer but he could not get a regular starting place in City. Offcause he tiered and would leave. At that time people said COD was better in defensive, he he. This season think COD have been better but he seldom score or got assists. Yesterday, nothing to say, Fulham better and its hard to blame the team. We was not in our best, have to be If we should got points from Fulham.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

O’dowda really needs to be moved on. 

He really does. He has the physical attributes but he doesn't seem to have any footballing instinct or intelligence, never plays with his head up, and after five years is still playing like a scared 18 year old.

He's been here long enough to be one of our experienced players and yet he looks like even Scott or Benarous could put an arm round him and explain to him what he should be doing with or without the ball.

Yesterday was his usual script of being utterly lightweight, contributing nothing - running head down into trouble, never getting a proper cross in with the ball, and without the ball being too easily brushed off.

For their second he fell over far too easily to give them a clear run in the channel. For their third he had time and space to break, never looked up, never crossed, mishit a backheel to King so they broke to score.

He continued in that vain with his usual act of avoiding every single 50/50, standing off players, or with the ball charging headlelessly into trouble. I think in 90 minutes he won 1 corner and completed 0 crosses.

I have some sympathy for Vyner lined up against Mitrovic - yes a bad performance but unsurprising. O'Dowda's display was far more unforgivable - 150 odd games now  in the Championship and still no clue.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Glad you finally managed to post this Rob. Even though it was still being drafted in the pub at 11pm with a tray of shots in your hands!! Not sure how you remembered all that!! ?

I gained additional time by managing to get on a train going in the wrong direction for over half an hour. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Olé said:
9 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

He really does. He has the physical attributes but he doesn't seem to have any footballing instinct or intelligence, never plays with his head up, and after five years is still playing like a scared 18 year old.

Been saying this for years.

Has no footballing brain what so ever.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Olé said:

He's been here long enough to be one of our experienced players and yet he looks like even Scott or Benarous could put an arm round him and explain to him what he should be doing with or without the ball.

Yesterday was his usual script of being utterly lightweight, contributing nothing - running head down into trouble, never getting a proper cross in with the ball, and without the ball being too easily brushed off.

For their second he fell over far too easily to give them a clear run in the channel. For their third he had time and space to break, never looked up, never crossed, mishit a backheel to King so they broke to score.

He continued in that vain with his usual act of avoiding every single 50/50, standing off players, or with the ball charging headlelessly into trouble. I think in 90 minutes he won 1 corner and completed 0 crosses.

I have some sympathy for Vyner lined up against Mitrovic - yes a bad performance but unsurprising. O'Dowda's display was far more unforgivable - 150 odd games now  in the Championship and still no clue.

I don't like to go in on players individually too often or make sweeping statements/judgements - but O'Dowda:

How long have we been waiting for him to find some consistency and finally step up and deliver?

His 'highlights' are surely outweighing by his 'poorer' showings now.

My only defence of him is perhaps wing-back isn't his preferred position - he's working harder at his defending but it doesn't come naturally does it, you can pin point a few too many goals this season where he is beaten for pace/muscle/speed of thought that leads to us conceding.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 2

Usual good summary @Olé, for me. Nothing to disagree with, except I think you mean winless run (final sentence)! I think a 6 for Weimann is generous.

You’ve maybe wisely stopped offering a mark for NP! 5 at best for me yesterday: wrong back 3 at the start (both personnel and positions) and some more odd and completely ineffective substitutions.

The stand outs for me as I drove home were

- hugely enjoyable first half, which felt really odd given the score line. The league game at AG was similar in the sense that it was enjoyable despite us being totally outclassed, just by being able to watch Fulham. At least yesterday there were moments when City contributed to that enjoyment!

- lots made of Fulham’s abilities, but boy aren’t they strong physically to go with it. So so good at keeping the ball under pressure, compared to our powder puff efforts, epitomised by COD. What stood out about Semenyo was not just his touch and his goals, but that he was the only City player who, one on one, in a challenge, was stronger than his Fulham opponent. Second goal especially: everywhere else on the pitch we didn’t come close. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

He embodies Lee Johnson’s team well. A lot of energy without ever really doing anything 

Just a thought, but maybe a thread about away games at Fulham isn’t the place to start making the argument that Lee Johnson’s teams never really did anything? ?

8 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

As both Ole didn't mention it, and the Sky highlights didn't show it, I guess our penalty shout was a little optimistic?  At the time I was thinking how quickly a game turns from possibly being 3-3 to instead 4-2. Clutching at straws I suppose.

I’d like to see it again. Down the other end from where we were, so hard to see at the time. There were certainly some strong appeals. 

Edited by italian dave

7 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

As both Ole didn't mention it, and the Sky highlights didn't show it, I guess our penalty shout was a little optimistic?  At the time I was thinking how quickly a game turns from possibly being 3-3 to instead 4-2. Clutching at straws I suppose.

I was going to mention it until someone showed me a video of the incident on their phone in the pub afterwards - sadly absolutely no way it was a penalty, much as in the heat of the moment on the rebound from Weimann's shot it felt like it should be. Referee had a good view and got the decision spot on, no contact and already stumbling over. 

• Thanks 2

Watching the goals back, their 2nd and 3rd are embarrassing really. 

O’Dowda bottled the tackle, cross in is too easy, Kalas weak in the air, Vyner daydreaming and O’Leary….on the floor?

King for the third is equally as bad. Amount of distance he covers without putting in a tackle or attempting to outmuscle is so grim

12 minutes ago, italian dave said:

lots made of Fulham’s abilities, but boy aren’t they strong physically to go with it. So so good at keeping the ball under pressure, compared to our powder puff efforts, epitomised by COD. What stood out about Semenyo was not just his touch and his goals, but that he was the only City player who, one on one, in a challenge, was stronger than his Fulham opponent. Second goal especially: everywhere else on the pitch we didn’t come close. 

Absolutely this - winning the individual battles, not just down to strength but intelligence too, Kebano drifted so easily into space in attacking positions which made it easy for him to get the run on his opposite number. 

As you say the only player of ours who won physical battles was Semenyo and I hope it's an end to the myth we need to play Martin up top and punt balls at him to hold up, ball to feet to Semenyo is far more effective.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just a thought, but maybe a thread about away games at Fulham isn’t the place to start making the argument that Lee Johnson’s teams never really did anything? ?

Is winning at Fulham classed as doing something? Meant more actually achieving something aside from beating man united. 

5 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Is winning at Fulham classed as doing something? Meant more actually achieving something aside from beating man united. 

Well it was certainly doing something better than losing 6-2! 

Seriously, my comment was only meant in jest. I don’t want to get into debates about LJ: that’s been done to death and it’s history.

It just struck me that alongside games against Manchester sides, trips to Fulham were and remain one of the highlights of LJs reign. 

• Like 1

Good write up @Olé. Thanks.

My son took me to the game and I was in the home end severely struggling to contain myself at the two excellent goals from Semenyo. My son, who is a Chelsea supporter (OK I have tried!) agreed that our midfield was powder puff (COD especially) and couldn't believe the poor marking by our defence. All credit must go to an extremely vocal away end. Yesterday was a harsh lesson in reality but, still an enjoyable day at a ground we will probably not visit next year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mikep said:

Good write up @Olé. Thanks.

My son took me to the game and I was in the home end severely struggling to contain myself at the two excellent goals from Semenyo. My son, who is a Chelsea supporter (OK I have tried!) agreed that our midfield was powder puff (COD especially) and couldn't believe the poor marking by our defence. All credit must go to an extremely vocal away end. Yesterday was a harsh lesson in reality but, still an enjoyable day at a ground we will probably not visit next year.

Shame..that stand will be impressive next year, won’t it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Absolutely nailed your report @Olé mate and the assessment of O’Dowda. 

Just enough now. This season had to be his last chance and again he’s proved he’s just not good enough; and when compared to the relatively inexperienced players around him it’s even more stark. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Spot on scouting summary Rob (???)…think you missed that he occasionally runs away from the player so as there is no chance he’ll have to engage.

Nige takes the blame for the Vyner selection, but Vyner needs to impose himself more.  We moan at T.Moore for lack of physicality but Vyner is just as bad in the main.  The one way to stop Mitrovic is to rile him.  Go through him early on, wait for the retaliation.  Even if you take turns between Kalas, Vyner and Pring.  Like dirty-Leeds used to do.

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I don't like to go in on players individually too often or make sweeping statements/judgements - but O'Dowda:

How long have we been waiting for him to find some consistency and finally step up and deliver?

His 'highlights' are surely outweighing by his 'poorer' showings now.

My only defence of him is perhaps wing-back isn't his preferred position - he's working harder at his defending but it doesn't come naturally does it, you can pin point a few too many goals this season where he is beaten for pace/muscle/speed of thought that leads to us conceding.

I’d be more sympathetic to that defence of him if I felt he gave more when he was played in his preferred position. As it is, he is as frustrating and inconsistent a left wing back as he is a winger or central midfielder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

I thought it was nailed on the Fulham player took our lad’s legs , JD I think wasn’t it? out from under him. That’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch and a penalty in the box.