IGNORED

The COD Conundrum

NcnsBcfc

Of all the players that City have to make a contract decision about this summer, surely COD is the most intriguing.

He's been at the club 6 years now, and yet of coursr he still remains as infuriating as ever.

At times he has shown us what he is capable of. The goal against Norwich a few seasons ago. The third goal away at Birmingham last season. The first half against Blackburn this season, and of course the first 20-25 against QPR recently.

You look at the player, his pace; and potential crossing ability; and you wonder just why he can't do it on a more regular basis?

We don't really have a player in the squad at the moment on the left that can replicate what he "potentially" can do; and thus he is still given the game time to once again fail to perform.

When you see the amount of caps that he has for ROI under different managers; you can see that he is still held in some regard in the game; and yet when his last contract was nearing the end, there was no-one there of course willing to make us an offer.

Any yet of course, the stats bear out the true story. For all his show, his actual impact on results over the course of the season is at best minimal. Generally 1-2 goals, and a couple of assists. Jesus, even Bakinson looks a world beater based on that!

Defensively for me he's always looked a bit of a liability, pariculary in the air (for example Fulham, QPR, Barnsley away last season, there will be others of course).

So the real question is, do we take up the option (on same wages of course), try to renegotiateon a new contract, or walk away?

For me, i think it's time to walk away. He's not shown himself to be the creative player we need; and certainly not one to take us higher up the league next season (hopefully).

Like a say Paterson, he may flourish elsewhere; and that is a chance of course you take with these sort of players. But i think he's had more than enough time now to demonstrate to us that he is part of our future; and hasn't convinced me i'm afraid.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

So the real question is, do we take up the option (on same wages of course), try to renegotiateon a new contract, or walk away?

Definitely not - take up the option.

Either of the other two options depending on how the manager sees him.  I’m happy for him to be a squad player going forward.

There is a 4th option - move on now - but I don’t think that’s realistic.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

There’s no conundrum. He’s had enough chances to produce and he hasn’t taken them. Wish we’d let him go to Leeds.

Completely agree. There is no conundrum at all in my opinion. He’s done absolutely nothing to remotely warrant a new contract and time and again has failed to prove any potential. 

Its been almost six years now. The likes of Alex Scott have done more than he’s done in six months! 

First person to let go in the summer in my view.

• Like 11

Just now, Davefevs said:

Either of the other two options depending on how the manager sees him.  I’m happy for him to be a squad player going forward.

I'm intrigued though @Davefevs what do you feel COD brings to the team?

I'm guessing wages wise he would be in the circa 15k bracket? As a legacy of our old free spending days, and of course generally the last year of contract is the highest one, particulary with loyalty bonuses etc.

Given our current financial position, we've really got to start justifying every wage on our wage bill.

Unless there are some major changes behind the scenes (big transfer fees, investment etc) we're potentially looking at treading water in this division for the next few seasons at best.

If that is the case, we have two priorities, don't get relegated and develop/blood as much talent as possible. 

I think in the short/medium term, even some of the lower/mid earning players in our squad like COD are going to come under scrutiny, as I think he is a player who, to be fair, will help keep us in this division in the short term, but ultimately will he be a key part of a hypothetical future pushing promotion team in the longer term?

So if he get's in the way of pathway or we could look to bring in someone with a higher potential ceiling, I can see him being moved on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I'm intrigued though @Davefevs what do you feel COD brings to the team?

I'm guessing wages wise he would be in the circa 15k bracket? As a legacy of our old free spending days, and of course generally the last year of contract is the highest one, particulary with loyalty bonuses etc.

For a bottom half team like us he’s “okay”, average.  What does he bring?  Pace, direct running, work rate.  When he’s playing well.  If you want all of the negative stuff just read @Olé’s view on his review of yesterday.

I think he’s in the £12-15k p.w range which is twice as much as he’d get in the current climate imho.

In 6 years here, I’d say his current level is no better than when he first joined.  He’s had ups and downs in that time.

I think you could easily find a more suitable replacement on less money than he will be holding out for.

If we could renegotiate his wages down to say £6k p.w then I’d consider it.  I suspect he and his agent will think he’s worth more…and ultimately he won’t be here next season.  He will find another Championship club, but imho it won’t be a decision we live to regret.

At 26, he should be flying.

I wonder if the contract situation has already concluded???

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

For a bottom half team like us he’s “okay”, average.  What does he bring?  Pace, direct running, work rate.  When he’s playing well.  If you want all of the negative stuff just read @Olé’s view on his review of yesterday.

I think he’s in the £12-15k p.w range which is twice as much as he’d get in the current climate imho.

In 6 years here, I’d say his current level is no better than when he first joined.  He’s had ups and downs in that time.

I think you could easily find a more suitable replacement on less money than he will be holding out for.

If we could renegotiate his wages down to say £6k p.w then I’d consider it.  I suspect he and his agent will think he’s worth more…and ultimately he won’t be here next season.  He will find another Championship club, but imho it won’t be a decision we live to regret.

At 26, he should be flying.

I wonder if the contract situation has already concluded???

Wouldn't argue with any of that second post @Davefevs ?

However in your first post on the topic, you advocated taking up his option year.

Would that not mean a further year on his current wages?

Not quite sure of your position on this, as you've made your point well in your second post that there are probably better options out there next season for his circa 12-15k?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, One Team said:

Completely agree. There is no conundrum at all in my opinion. He’s done absolutely nothing to remotely warrant a new contract and time and again has failed to prove any potential. 

Its been almost six years now. The likes of Alex Scott have done more than he’s done in six months! 

First person to let go in the summer in my view.

Have to agree, the guy had everything it needs to succeed, but it just doesnt happen,,, im sure hes making a great living too, and that money should be invested better elsewhere

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

However in your first post on the topic, you advocated taking up his option year.

Not quite sure of your position on this, as you've made your point well in your second post that there are probably better options out there next season for his circa 12-15k?

Didn’t he say we should definitely not take up the option? That’s how I read it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nope ?

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Didn’t he say we should definitely not take up the option? That’s how I read it.

Edited by NcnsBcfc

His City career has been a disappointment for him and us. I don't for one minute imagine when he signed he thought he'd be here 5/6 years later. The plan was surely to move through and 2/3 years later increase his wage with a move somewhere else. 

As it is he has stagnated as much as we have. I could see him somewhere like Millwall if we let him go or a squad player at best at a functional larger club like Sheff Utd

31 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I said:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

To be perfectly clear - There’s no way I’d give him another year at his current wage level.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I said:

To be perfectly clear - There’s no way I’d give him another year at his current wage level.

Ha ha, got you @Davefevs.

Apologies, that makes a lot more sense.

Another Murder up in Glos, so missed the game yesterday. Just seen the report from @Olé

I did start this topic thinking there might still be some support for COD. But it looks like that proverbial horse has bolted!

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I said:

To be fair, I thought you were advocating to take the option too.

Thought the "Definitely not" was disagreement with the quoted post and then you were saying to take up the option.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Ha ha, got you @Davefevs.

Apologies, that makes a lot more sense.

Another Murder up in Glos, so missed the game yesterday. Just seen the report from @Olé

I did start this topic thinking there might still be some support for COD. But it looks like that proverbial horse has bolted!

Jon Dolman and AndItsSmith will redress the balance.

4 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Such a shame we let Eliason leave and not COD. 

In terms of transfers in and out, the two stand out major errors from the club over the last few years was to buy Wells and sell Eliasson. The latter was mismanaged and he should have been a £10m asset not a £1m one.

Other player sales were unavoidable but Eliassons was so sad for me

8 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Did we let him leave though? 

I thought it was one of those last year of contacts (possible on an option year). He wanted to go, and wasn't signing a new contract so we cashed in on the offer from France.

Lets be clear though, if we exercised COD's option, there is no £2m+ offer from any club waiting in the background.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

As Nige seems to be the sort of manager that likes a player who is willing to put his body on the line and take an occasional hit for the team, I’m surprised he’s stuck with COD as much as he has.

I know he’s better at defending than Palmer but to think Palmer doesn’t get a sniff!!

Not a particularly high bar set by Palmer though is it.?

36 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

It’s still criminal the way that Eliasson was misused by the club and then sold for a pittance. Another shocking footballing decision to go down with the countless others Steve Lansdown has overseen at the football club..!

• Like 2