IGNORED

The COD Conundrum

NcnsBcfc

18 minutes ago, bris red said:

It’s still criminal the way that Eliasson was misused by the club and then sold for a pittance. Another shocking footballing decision to go down with the countless others Steve Lansdown has overseen at the football club..!

The football decision, or choice, was let him go for nothing in the summer or get what we could at the time. That makes sense, football and business.
Whether he was used properly is another question. Or maybe the question should be why did we buy so many wingers when at best, playing with a winger was only ever second choice.  TBH, if he was here and available to Nige, he wouldn't get in the team. Didn't track back , or wouldn't, and in the current team Nige wants players to work hard, he was never that. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For a bottom half team like us he’s “okay”, average.  What does he bring?  Pace, direct running, work rate.  When he’s playing well.  If you want all of the negative stuff just read @Olé’s view on his review of yesterday.

I think he’s in the £12-15k p.w range which is twice as much as he’d get in the current climate imho.

In 6 years here, I’d say his current level is no better than when he first joined.  He’s had ups and downs in that time.

I think you could easily find a more suitable replacement on less money than he will be holding out for.

If we could renegotiate his wages down to say £6k p.w then I’d consider it.  I suspect he and his agent will think he’s worth more…and ultimately he won’t be here next season.  He will find another Championship club, but imho it won’t be a decision we live to regret.

At 26, he should be flying.

I wonder if the contract situation has already concluded???

I think you have to factor in his injuries as well. 

He is one, amongst many players , who frustrate with their unfulfilled  potential. 
Semenyo, for example, looks every bit the player on an upward learning curve. His ability to affect a game is improving. Scott has come in and at only twelve years old he’s already scored and assisted more than COD has this season. 

COD can, but more often doesn’t, affect a game. 
I would not keep him unless he delivers an solid second part to the season and then offer him terms more in keeping with the market. 

• Haha 1

I’ve been told by a friend of his that contract talks have started but there was “big difference between what was wanted and offered. COD dosnt wanna leave as happy in area, but believes he’s worth more than what Is being offered” 

He told me about Prings new contract last sept and he meets with Callum regularly so no reason to doubt info 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, brad blit said:

I’ve been told by a friend of his that contract talks have started but there was “big difference between what was wanted and offered. COD dosnt wanna leave as happy in area, but believes he’s worth more than what Is being offered” 

He told me about Prings new contract last sept and he meets with Callum regularly so no reason to doubt info 

Was gonna ask you if you’d heard, following your ITK on Cam.

I like the sound of those conversations…I.e. no chance of exercising option at current wage.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, brad blit said:

If O'Dowda thinks he's worth more than he has been offered.........then he is deluded.........he wouldn't get away with his mostly abject performances at many other clubs.  He would be an idiot to turn down the offer, but i sincerely hope he does?   Hopefully see him playing back at Oxford sometime soon?' 

25 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Doesn't live in the real world does he. Probably worth 60% of a Andi Weinman at most, maybe 80% of as Jamie Patterson. So £7K maybe (and I think I'm being generous). Be interesting to see what the market thinks he's worth. He'll be in for a shock.

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

It’s the happy in the area/family club soft touch nonsense that got us into this mess in the first place. Easy life in Bristol, they pay the wages, low expectations etc. etc. 

I hope there is no sentiment here and he’s judged purely on worth and therefore will be shown the door in August. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

An average of about 1 goal a season and probably 2 assists a season for an attacking player is genuinely worth about £300 p/w in the current market 

Edited by petehinton

I think some of the critism on here for Callum is both warranted and harsh. In terms of ability when he’s playing well he’s deffo worth a new contract especially as no1 else like him at club, and every player has good/bad games so to say he’s inconsistent could be said about anyone. It’s unfair to talk about scoring stats too when he’s been asked to play numerous positions whilst at the club and never had a prolonged spell in the team (arbeit because of form or injuries). But he is probably one of our biggest earners and as such has to earn the reputed 15k a week, I think it would just be frustrating to see him leave and do well at another club like we’ve seen so many times. 

I asked again this morning and been told that further talks havnt happened since initial talks but maintained he would like to stay as enjoying working under Pearson who is playing him in preferred role.

• Like 1

@NcnsBcfc I know you are supposed to have a definite opinion on a forum, but I’m still slightly on the fence with this one.

What is certainly the case is that if he thinks he is getting even the same terms as he is currently on, we should walk away, as football finances are very different from how they were when he last renewed.

The reason I could be persuaded to keep him is our squad is horribly imbalanced in terms of age & he & Kalas are 2 of very few in the sweet spot of 26-28.

Look at Saturday’s centre mid, we had one who is 20, the other 33, as opposed to a 26 year old & a 27 year old..

However I am not privy to the likely alternatives & if there is a player out there who we can afford (crucial) & available who would do a better job than him, then so be it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

@NcnsBcfc I know you are supposed to have a definite opinion on a forum, but I’m still slightly on the fence with this one.

What is certainly the case is that if he thinks he is getting even the same terms as he is currently on, we should walk away, as football finances are very different from how they were when he last renewed.

The reason I could be persuaded to keep him is our squad is horribly imbalanced in terms of age & he & Kalas are 2 of very few in the sweet spot of 26-28.

Look at Saturday’s centre mid, we had one who is 20, the other 33, as opposed to a 26 year old & a 27 year old..

However I am not privy to the likely alternatives & if there is a player out there who we can afford (crucial) & available who would do a better job than him, then so be it.

Sensible thought process.

If people think he is suddenly going to start fulfilling his potential here after 6 years, they are going to be disappointed. 5 or 6 positive performances a season for several years is pathetic.

Has lots of of the tools to succeed at this level but misses the most important one - bottle.

His wage (which is decent money) would be much better spent elsewhere. Even if he took a Weimann / Baker style pay decrease, I would still want us to go in a different direction. 

Seems like a decent chap and wish him well - but I'd be really disappointed if he is still here next season.

• Like 6

COD is a really interesting one - in a way, he reminds of Granit Xhaka, in the fact that most of the managers he has played under seem to rate him, yet you will be hard pressed to find many fans who would play him in the first 11. There must be something about him that managers like that we don't see on a Saturday afternoon

27 minutes ago, Matty C said:

COD is a really interesting one - in a way, he reminds of Granit Xhaka, in the fact that most of the managers he has played under seem to rate him, yet you will be hard pressed to find many fans who would play him in the first 11. There must be something about him that managers like that we don't see on a Saturday afternoon

I think the problem is most fans can’t see beyond mainly black and white views of a player, when in reality most players are somewhere in between.

I don’t think Callum is a bad player at all, but I also don’t think he’s a good player either.

In our current squad in our current “project” he ought to be in the Match Day 18.  He ought to start some as a result of that “status”, whether you or I see him as first choice or not.

If we assume he’s on £12k-15k p.w then you can then apply a view as to whether we are getting value for money at that wage or not (the answer is “note imho), but we must also be cognisant that he signed that contract in Sept 2019 and the world has changed…so it’s not his fault he’s paid that much in today’s world.

However we ARE in today’s world NOW and wages have decreased.

So the decision becomes, is he good enough to want to keep?  If yes, what is the agreeable wage for both parties.  It seems from what @brad blithas said that we most definitely aren’t going to exercise the club’s one year option and there is a difference of opinion in worth / value.  Callum in turn might think he’s worth more and decide he is gonna leave this summer, he might already have sounded out possible option (I don’t blame him).

Depending on how far apart City and O’Dowda are, City should have a replacement(s) in mind and understand the total cost of that player.  Someone like Anthony Scully (@Lorenzos Only Goal) might fit the bill and with only a year left on his contract in the summer, might be possible to bring it at the right price, plus at 23 (in April) he has longevity too.

Its a big set of moving cogs I guess.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the problem is most fans can’t see beyond mainly black and white views of a player, when in reality most players are somewhere in between.

I don’t think Callum is a bad player at all, but I also don’t think he’s a good player either.

In our current squad in our current “project” he ought to be in the Match Day 18.  He ought to start some as a result of that “status”, whether you or I see him as first choice or not.

If we assume he’s on £12k-15k p.w then you can then apply a view as to whether we are getting value for money at that wage or not (the answer is “note imho), but we must also be cognisant that he signed that contract in Sept 2019 and the world has changed…so it’s not his fault he’s paid that much in today’s world.

However we ARE in today’s world NOW and wages have decreased.

So the decision becomes, is he good enough to want to keep?  If yes, what is the agreeable wage for both parties.  It seems from what @brad blithas said that we most definitely aren’t going to exercise the club’s one year option and there is a difference of opinion in worth / value.  Callum in turn might think he’s worth more and decide he is gonna leave this summer, he might already have sounded out possible option (I don’t blame him).

Depending on how far apart City and O’Dowda are, City should have a replacement(s) in mind and understand the total cost of that player.  Someone like Anthony Scully (@Lorenzos Only Goal) might fit the bill and with only a year left on his contract in the summer, might be possible to bring it at the right price, plus at 23 (in April) he has longevity too.

Its a big set of moving cogs I guess.

My problem with  O’Dowda is availability and consistancy, he's rarely has a bad game but he does have quite a few average games and then an absolutly outstanding game just to remind you what you could have had.  Then he picks up a niggle and disapears for a few games, or a bad injury and a substatial chunk of the season.    I think if we were to get a decent offer for him we should sell him, and buy Scully :) 

• Like 1