IGNORED

The COD Conundrum

NcnsBcfc

3 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

My problem with  O’Dowda is availability and consistancy, he's rarely has a bad game but he does have quite a few average games and then an absolutely outstanding game just to remind you what you could have had.  Then he picks up a niggle and disapears for a few games, or a bad injury and a substatial chunk of the season.    I think if we were to get a decent offer for him we should sell him, and buy Scully :) 

Sorry, can you remind me of the last time please

2 hours ago, Bo Andersons dietician said:

If people think he is suddenly going to start fulfilling his potential here after 6 years, they are going to be disappointed. 5 or 6 positive performances a season for several years is pathetic.

Has lots of of the tools to succeed at this level but misses the most important one - bottle.

His wage (which is decent money) would be much better spent elsewhere. Even if he took a Weimann / Baker style pay decrease, I would still want us to go in a different direction. 

Seems like a decent chap and wish him well - but I'd be really disappointed if he is still here next season.

Completely agree I will be very disappointed if he’s still here next season. It’s time we both moved on. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the problem is most fans can’t see beyond mainly black and white views of a player, when in reality most players are somewhere in between.

I don’t think Callum is a bad player at all, but I also don’t think he’s a good player either.

In our current squad in our current “project” he ought to be in the Match Day 18.  He ought to start some as a result of that “status”, whether you or I see him as first choice or not.

If we assume he’s on £12k-15k p.w then you can then apply a view as to whether we are getting value for money at that wage or not (the answer is “note imho), but we must also be cognisant that he signed that contract in Sept 2019 and the world has changed…so it’s not his fault he’s paid that much in today’s world.

However we ARE in today’s world NOW and wages have decreased.

So the decision becomes, is he good enough to want to keep?  If yes, what is the agreeable wage for both parties.  It seems from what @brad blithas said that we most definitely aren’t going to exercise the club’s one year option and there is a difference of opinion in worth / value.  Callum in turn might think he’s worth more and decide he is gonna leave this summer, he might already have sounded out possible option (I don’t blame him).

Depending on how far apart City and O’Dowda are, City should have a replacement(s) in mind and understand the total cost of that player.  Someone like Anthony Scully (@Lorenzos Only Goal) might fit the bill and with only a year left on his contract in the summer, might be possible to bring it at the right price, plus at 23 (in April) he has longevity too.

Its a big set of moving cogs I guess.

He will probably get a short term deal with Swansea on reduced terms to his teammates, do really well and they will activate a prolongation of his contract on the same lowish terms causing him to throw his toys out of the pram…

Sorry, a ridiculous scenario, could never happen…

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Doesn't live in the real world does he. Probably worth 60% of a Andi Weinman at most, maybe 80% of as Jamie Patterson. So £7K maybe (and I think I'm being generous). Be interesting to see what the market thinks he's worth. He'll be in for a shock.

£7k pw is st least £2k too much.  No more than 50% of what Weimann is on.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the problem is most fans can’t see beyond mainly black and white views of a player, when in reality most players are somewhere in between.

I don’t think Callum is a bad player at all, but I also don’t think he’s a good player either.

In our current squad in our current “project” he ought to be in the Match Day 18.  He ought to start some as a result of that “status”, whether you or I see him as first choice or not.

If we assume he’s on £12k-15k p.w then you can then apply a view as to whether we are getting value for money at that wage or not (the answer is “note imho), but we must also be cognisant that he signed that contract in Sept 2019 and the world has changed…so it’s not his fault he’s paid that much in today’s world.

However we ARE in today’s world NOW and wages have decreased.

So the decision becomes, is he good enough to want to keep?  If yes, what is the agreeable wage for both parties.  It seems from what @brad blithas said that we most definitely aren’t going to exercise the club’s one year option and there is a difference of opinion in worth / value.  Callum in turn might think he’s worth more and decide he is gonna leave this summer, he might already have sounded out possible option (I don’t blame him).

Depending on how far apart City and O’Dowda are, City should have a replacement(s) in mind and understand the total cost of that player.  Someone like Anthony Scully (@Lorenzos Only Goal) might fit the bill and with only a year left on his contract in the summer, might be possible to bring it at the right price, plus at 23 (in April) he has longevity too.

Its a big set of moving cogs I guess.

Fans can only form an opinion on what they see on match day. CoD was always touted as being great in training…fans don't see that, but that in itself doesn't give a true reflection of a player. He might be a brilliant athlete but if he can't read a game well by now, it's unlikely he ever will. 

• Like 1

Didn’t we recently take up the one year option on Bakinsons contract? Says a lot that the club are looking at tying down the players they want by enacting these clauses and COD isn’t in that conversation. Sounds like the club simply don’t think he is worth what we are paying him. 

8 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Didn’t we recently take up the one year option on Bakinsons contract? Says a lot that the club are looking at tying down the players they want by enacting these clauses and COD isn’t in that conversation. Sounds like the club simply don’t think he is worth what we are paying him. 

I would say Bakkinson contract offer was taken up more so that he didn’t leave for free and we were “protecting the asset” as Pearson has said in the past. He hasn’t exactly featured much since others have come back from injury so don’t think it’s about his form

9 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I would say Bakkinson contract offer was taken up more so that he didn’t leave for free and we were “protecting the asset” as Pearson has said in the past. He hasn’t exactly featured much since others have come back from injury so don’t think it’s about his form

Just now, brad blit said:

Sorry that’s what I was trying to get at (badly). If we were worried about COD leaving we would have enacted it. But I guess form does come into it. If he was tearing up the league then we may have pinged on the extra year already

45 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Sorry that’s what I was trying to get at (badly). If we were worried about COD leaving we would have enacted it. But I guess form does come into it. If he was tearing up the league then we may have pinged on the extra year already

There’s a vast difference between COD and Bakkinson’s wage thou so it’s a bigger “risk” for Callum to exercise year option if Nigel wants to use his wages elsewhere 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, brad blit said:

There’s a vast difference between COD and Bakkinson’s wage thou so it’s a bigger “risk” for Callum to exercise year option if Nigel wants to use his wages elsewhere 

Yep, exercising Bakinson’s contract signed as a 20 year old in 2019 is gonna be at a relatively low wage you’d suspect whilst still developing.  Very different to exercising Callum’s, signed in 2019 aged 24.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

£7k pw is st least £2k too much.  No more than 50% of what Weimann is on.

Whilst I agree with you this is more than just about the money for me. 

Its the lack of any evidence of realising potential and making any progress whilst all the while feeling comfortable. 

Even at £5k a week I’d really question the capability, desire and passion to succeed. 

I’d rather spend the money on someone new or increase the salary/ies of academy graduate/s. 

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

There's no conundrum really is there? 

If CoD was going to make it here he would have done it by now.

Well quite. 

I know I’ve been to the point in this thread and others on the subject; but this isn’t like he’s a relatively new signing who hasn’t been given a chance.

He’s been given multiple chances by different managers in different squads and still failed to deliver to anything like consistent Championship quality football.

He’s at a prime age for a professional footballer and should be showing the best of his ability at this time, whereas he’s actually out performed by teenagers.