IGNORED

Rooney - Everton. Possibility or not ?

Waconda

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Man City are an obvious anomaly though - got lucky they were chosen for huge investment 

True, but my point was you never know what will happen. Investment gave them a lift, but as I said (if the figures I've seen are correct), Everton have a bigger net spend than Liverpool over the last 5 years. Now get the right manager in, the right recruitment and all of a sudden things could change. Unlikely , but not impossible.

21 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Is it true that 32red.com are paying Wayne's wages atm? If so, why would Derby cop for any compensation? Also Derby would need to pay for a new manager. Could they afford that?

As I remember, they paid his wages as a player, was made No.32 I seem to remember. I imagine when he became Boss his contract changed too. That said, even if they are paying his wages, he is under contract to Derby so they would probably be expecting compensation. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Is it true that 32red.com are paying Wayne's wages atm? If so, why would Derby cop for any compensation? Also Derby would need to pay for a new manager. Could they afford that?

No, I don’t believe that is the case, just stories.  As far as I understand, 32Red increased their sponsorship deal, which in turn allowed Derby to pay Rooney.

If Rooney walked, he’d be doing Derby a huge favour….I see no way they save his £100k p.w.  For Everton to appoint him as manager and absolve Derby from paying him would be a huge boost to saving them.

In fairness to Rooney he’s doing a v.decent job, but he has got some star players like Lawrence, CKR, a group of talented youngsters aided by Davies and Jagielka (now left) at his disposal.  They’ve avoided injuries too.  On Quest he came across well, sticking to football not insolvency.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

True, but my point was you never know what will happen. Investment gave them a lift, but as I said (if the figures I've seen are correct), Everton have a bigger net spend than Liverpool over the last 5 years. Now get the right manager in, the right recruitment and all of a sudden things could change. Unlikely , but not impossible.

As I remember, they paid his wages as a player, was made No.32 I seem to remember. I imagine when he became Boss his contract changed too. That said, even if they are paying his wages, he is under contract to Derby so they would probably be expecting compensation. 

Very interesting to know the terms of 32Red’s sponsorship, e.g. how dependent is it on Rooney?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very interesting to know the terms of 32Red’s sponsorship, e.g. how dependent is it on Rooney?

I remember there was a bit of shouting at the time, sponsorship of wages wasn't allowed , at least I don't think it was. They seemed to get round it somehow, but I doubt we will know 100% unless it's in their accounts. Knowing Mel Morris they haven't listed that bit. When he stopped playing and became manager, that contract would have ended and the new Managerial one started. I didn't read anything about the deal then. It would be interesting to find out all about that sponsorship, like a lot of the stuff around that time, stinks a bit.

It's Frank Lampard and Chelsea all over again.

End of the day, if Everton approach him, then he's gone. Boyhood team, 2 spells as a player, risk of not getting paid at Derby maybe, or even losing his job if something really bad happens.

However, Everton are only 6 points off the drop themselves, would they really want to take the risk of appointing rookie Rooney right now? 

My opinion (for what it's worth - nowt) is interim until the summer - Ferguson maybe, then appoint a full time boss in the summer. At that point, Rooney may well have pulled Derby out of the relegation zone (still a big ask but the gap is now 8 points and they're off the bottom of the table), and done the impossible.

Suddenly his appointment looks a lot more possible/attractive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I watched an  interview with Arsena Wenger recently where he said that the money Arsenal borrowed to build the Emirates was guaranteed against him signing a longer contract and staying as manager, hence why he probably stayed longer in the job 

• Thanks 1

I listened to a phone in on radio merseyside, when he returned as a player.

The calls, i would say were 60.40 against him coming back as a player.

As said above the everton board aint got a clue, so he may get the job.

If they are going to pay compo, they may as well go for moyes.

Hes taken west ham where they want to be.

Everton are the prem version of us in the way they’ve spent quite a lot of cash on crap players and have an owner who thinks he knows more than he actually does about football. I mean for example there are rumours that the board are considering getting in a manager (Martinez) that has already been sacked once before.

Everton are my second team ( Not getting into whether second teams are allowed :) ) and based on the state of the club at the moment whoever comes in is going to have there work cut out.

Personally I’d be ok with Rooney, Lampard or giving it to Ferguson till the end of the season

9 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Everton are the prem version of us in the way they’ve spent quite a lot of cash on crap players and have an owner who thinks he knows more than he actually does about football. I mean for example there are rumours that the board are considering getting in a manager (Martinez) that has already been sacked once before.

Everton are my second team ( Not getting into whether second teams are allowed :) ) and based on the state of the club at the moment whoever comes in is going to have there work cut out.

Personally I’d be ok with Rooney, Lampard or giving it to Ferguson till the end of the season

Never got all the fuss about Martinez as a manager. Knowing what a mess Everton are they will probably appoint him.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I listened to a phone in on radio merseyside, when he returned as a player.

The calls, i would say were 60.40 against him coming back as a player.

As said above the everton board aint got a clue, so he may get the job.

If they are going to pay compo, they may as well go for moyes.

Hes taken west ham where they want to be.

Not sure why Moyes would want to leave West Ham?

32 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Personaly, i think everton are a much bigger club.

If he leads west ham to top six this year, good luck to him.

He loses his first 4 games of the following season, gold and sullivan, will sack him.

Much as I would love Moyes at Everton (or City for that matter) I don’t think he’d leave West Ham. He’s built a good squad there and West Ham themselves have become a bigger club now they have the Olympic stadium (however dodgy the deal was to them getting it on the cheap).

And Gold & Sullivan have probably learnt from the last time they got rid of Moyes that he’s a bloody good manager and coach.

Edited by Show Me The Money!

Exactly my point, they wont back him.

He wont do it again in a shoestring next year.

And they certainly wont spend.

So because they have a bigger ground now, that tells you they are a bigger club?

No chance.

So if everton get a new ground with i dunno a bigger capacity than than, i dunno the gunners?

Does that make them a bigger club?

13 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Everton have always attracted bigger name players in my lfetime.

By a mile.

West ham have had one decent team, in that lifespan.

That was about 1985, and they didnt win anything then,

West ham are a bloody good side now to be fair. Moyes was given time and they are reaping the benefits. I would like to see West ham win something tbh.