IGNORED

Jamie Paterson

CiderJar

• The title was changed to Jamie Paterson
12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I disagree CiderJar - I don’t think your post should be deleted or banished to the ‘Transfer Section’ - you’ve highlighted a legitimate point about whether one of our former players may be regretting leaving our club - you haven’t advocated buying him back or anything like that, you’ve simply sparked an interesting debate - to be dismissed with a two word ‘Transfer Section’ response is both disrespectful and dismissive. And if this topic is being discussed on the Transfer Forum I would still say it is rude to respond with a two word ‘Transfer Section’ reply - your OP is relevant and interesting and deserves its place on the OTIB football chat home page - why should your post be banished to the Transfer Forum when you are not discussing bringing him back to Ashton Gate? I’d ignore calls for it to be shunted to one side if I were you ... ??

I think he was replying that a post was already created in the transfer section, not rudely saying where the post should be put.  That’s how I read it ??‍♂️

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think he was replying that a post was already created in the transfer section, not rudely saying where the post should be put.  That’s how I read it ??‍♂️

Yeah that is how I read it but I am all for a fight between Mr Clapp and BS4. Fight, fight, FIGHT!!!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I don’t think he had any choice about leaving City. NP had to reduce the wage bill, he was out of contact, so he had to go. 

⬆️ This

Interesting to read that the extra year can be triggered if he plays 25 games, he's played 22 and didn't feel in the right frame of mind to play number 23. It's a cold harsh World out there for players looking for that last payday, that many seemed to get until recently. Money isn't so freely dished out post COVID. This will be an interesting story to keep an eye on. Might be a decent signing for a top half team looking for a little creativity to push for top 6 ?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I don't really follow the leaving of players once the decision has been made so excuse the ignorance. Did he only get a 1/2 season contract at Swansea or something?

One year, plus a year extension that Swansea could trigger if he plays 25 games.
From the article, he was expecting a better/improved contract as he is paid less than some. He's been involved in half their goals so far, so you can see his reasoning. The Club would look at it differently no doubt.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

One year, plus a year extension that Swansea could trigger if he plays 25 games.
From the article, he was expecting a better/improved contract as he is paid less than some. He's been involved in half their goals so far, so you can see his reasoning. The Club would look at it differently no doubt.

So basically what he is saying is that he signed a contract in good faith 4 months ago when he didn't have a club and now doesn't want to fulfill its obligations because he thinks his negotiating position has changed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

So basically what he is saying is that he signed a contract in good faith 4 months ago when he didn't have a club and now doesn't want to fulfill its obligations because he thinks his negotiating position has changed.

Like I say, 2 ways to look at it.
Yes he did sign, and was happy too, but.......

They may have seen it as a cheap deal as they had all the power.
He saw it as a foot in the door to prove himself, knowing he was better than just another OOC player. A sort of trial period in his eyes.

I think it's something like, 8/9 goals 5 assists. 6 months left, and he would have to down tools not to play the 25 games. Not a good look. On the other side, he's been influential and possibly deserves to be nearer some of the other players. 
The sands have drifted due to COVID though, and contracts will be harder to push up in the near future. This is probably where his agent contacts possible clubs, and tests the water. If he starts playing soon, I would guess there are no Clubs willing to pay A) higher wages and B) The fee Swansea would want. He's 30, apparently there is interest, all depends who that interest is from I guess.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I think the important nuance being to this is, whilst there is an automatic trigger after 25 games to extend his one year contract by another 12 months, Swansea had the option to trigger it themselves early.  Which is what they’ve done.

The 25 game trigger is probably inserted more to protect Pato having comeback from injuries, e.g. he plays a good amount and therefore gets another year to acknowledge he’s done ok.  As it happens, Swansea have used their right to trigger it.  Gives them a bit of protection too if Pato smashes it, which he has.

Both parties agreed to it and signed it.

Having heard stories in the summer about Pato / his agent I’d suggest he thinks about whether his agent is that good.  There were stories of him getting £20k p.w at Stoke. Never happened. A failed trial at Boro…or was he asking too much?  Then trying to use Coventry to get more money out of Swansea.

Suck it up, I say.  Unlucky Kentucky!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the important nuance being to this is, whilst there is an automatic trigger after 25 games to extend his one year contract by another 12 months, Swansea had the option to trigger it themselves early.  Which is what they’ve done.

The 25 game trigger is probably inserted more to protect Pato having comeback from injuries, e.g. he plays a good amount and therefore gets another year to acknowledge he’s done ok.  As it happens, Swansea have used their right to trigger it.  Gives them a bit of protection too if Pato smashes it, which he has.

Having heard stories in the summer about Pato / his agent I’d suggest he thinks about whether his agent is that good.  There were stories of him getting £20k p.w at Stoke. Never happened. A failed trial at Boro…or was he asking too much?  Then trying to use Coventry to get more money out of Swansea.

Ahh, OK. I took a different slant on it. That explains the "triggered" bit when Pato didn't comment. I guess he wasn't pleased. As they said he could leave within the Month I took it the announcement was premature and it hadn't been finalised. That makes "not in the right mind to play" sound even worse.  I sort of assumed it had to be both parties had to agree, which would have given Pato a way out, or leverage over a new contract.

Didn't we have an auto renew clause with Wilbs for games played ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. He always had the vibe of someone who played when he wanted.  Those types tend to have manipulative agents.

I've never forgotten his performance in Holden's last game.   It was shameful.  Not the sort we need. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Ahh, OK. I took a different slant on it. That explains the "triggered" bit when Pato didn't comment. I guess he wasn't pleased. As they said he could leave within the Month I took it the announcement was premature and it hadn't been finalised. That makes "not in the right mind to play" sound even worse.  I sort of assumed it had to be both parties had to agree, which would have given Pato a way out, or leverage over a new contract.

Didn't we have an auto renew clause with Wilbs for games played ?

Even if they’d not triggered it, he wouldn’t be free this window…only sign pre-contract “abroad” (non E&W), so I think he got a bit ahead of himself.

Contracts can have all sorts of clauses, Player to trigger (less common), club to trigger (more common), both to trigger (less common), auto trigger based on event (common).

I believe we did with Wilbs, yes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Bard said:

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. He always had the vibe of someone who played when he wanted.  Those types tend to have manipulative agents.

I've never forgotten his performance in Holden's last game.   It was shameful.  Not the sort we need. 

His non-performance at Reading last season was shameful, no doubt a very very good player on his day but only when it suits him

• Like 1

Never struck me as the most switched on player we've had so I suspect he relied on the BS his agent gave him when pursuading him to sign the Swansea contract. Then he's heard of what the already contracted Swansea players are on, put two and two together, ignored the last two years, and decided he's been hard done by.

Jamie, if you're on £250 pw then yes you're being hard done by. (Blame yourself and your agent.) If you're on £2,500+ pw then no, you aren't being hard done by. I susperct you're more likely on the latter. Come live in the real world, or phone COD for validation.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Like I say, 2 ways to look at it.
Yes he did sign, and was happy too, but.......

They may have seen it as a cheap deal as they had all the power.
He saw it as a foot in the door to prove himself, knowing he was better than just another OOC player. A sort of trial period in his eyes.

I think it's something like, 8/9 goals 5 assists. 6 months left, and he would have to down tools not to play the 25 games. Not a good look. On the other side, he's been influential and possibly deserves to be nearer some of the other players. 
The sands have drifted due to COVID though, and contracts will be harder to push up in the near future. This is probably where his agent contacts possible clubs, and tests the water. If he starts playing soon, I would guess there are no Clubs willing to pay A) higher wages and B) The fee Swansea would want. He's 30, apparently there is interest, all depends who that interest is from I guess.

I don't think there is 2 ways to look at it. If he saw it as a foot in the door then he should have signed a 1/2 year contract but he wanted the security of a year with the possibility of a 2nd year if he did ok.

What's happened is he has done well and now seems to think of his extension as a renewal so wants to renegotiate in what is bad faith.

His issue with others earning more is one of the challenges of the current economic situation, he has unfortunately finished one contact and started another contract at the wrong time, those players earning more will have reduced terms as there current contracts expire rather than all those on existing contracts that have done well for a few months get more money.

Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for someone who wants to break contact but especially for those who by this time in his career must be a multimillionaire asking for more money.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Never struck me as the most switched on player we've had so I suspect he relied on the BS his agent gave him when pursuading him to sign the Swansea contract. Then he's heard of what the already contracted Swansea players are on, put two and two together, ignored the last two years, and decided he's been hard done by.

Jamie, if you're on £250 pw then yes you're being hard done by. (Blame yourself and your agent.) If you're on £2,500+ pw then no, you aren't being hard done by. I susperct you're more likely on the latter. Come live in the real world, or phone COD for validation.

Suspect he’s on a bit more than £2.5k p.w ???

Spot on @Pezo

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Cheeky offer anyone?

CoD for Pato. 

Not a great Pato fan but offers more when he’s ‘on heat’. 

Paterson still interacts with Scotty on twitter, likes city tweets etc.  Even if he gets us 4-5 goals and 3-4 assists until the end of the season, I'd take it.

I'd swap CoD for an actual copy of Call of Duty tbh.

Edited by Rocky
  • Haha 3

Looks like I took the wrong meaning from the article @Pezo . 

That said, the second piece I read asks a few interesting questions, including has has head been turned by an approach from WBA.

https://planetswans.co.uk/2022/01/17/has-west-brom-interest-turned-jamies-head-or-is-there-more-to-it/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That said, the second piece I read asks a few interesting questions, including has has head been turned by an approach from WBA.

https://planetswans.co.uk/2022/01/17/has-west-brom-interest-turned-jamies-head-or-is-there-more-to-it/

Good article, but i don’t believe it necessarily needs both to sign off.  In many contracts you just notify the other party you’ve executed the clause / term that was in the original contract (which of course will’ve been signed by both parties).  You’d issue both parties with the new terms for their records, that’s all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I could have and could still have it wrong, there is some ambiguity in there.

If his head has been turned then he still has a contract that he need to fulfill, like when Flints head was turned by Middlesbrough. The attitude of some of these players is incredible, if he got what he wanted then I would ask myself what's the point in a contract.

Can you imagine if we said to Williams after his first day - yeah we know you've just signed this contract but we don't think you're going to play for the next year so we wan to pay you 1/4 of what you're currently on.

• Like 2