IGNORED

Cundy Quandary

where's the joy

Given our lack of aerial 'beef' since Flint and Baker fell out of our defence's heading skills team

we haven't had a dominant talisman in the air, in spite of Kalas's best endeavours. 

Ignoring the scale of the loss to Fulham could this force a rethink about Cundy as an out and out ball winner and all round beast at crosses?

Have any of us seen enough of him on loan to assess his true potential? It seems unlikely we will be buying anyone new this window.

While hoping that Semenyo's promise is finally turning into gold, we may look back on this last game with happy memories and see the dawn of some sunny uplands

I think we have to factor in the fact he has been injured for a few months at a crucial point in his development. By all accounts, he did well at Gillingham in League One last season but, given that he must be a little bit ring rusty at the moment, I'd not be shocked if he got loaned out over the next two weeks with a view to him coming back in pre-season and showing the coaching staff where he is. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

From what Pearson has said it doesn’t seem he is being lined up for a first team place any time soon 

I’ve commented on this on the FBC podcast - one contributor believes he’s the answer to our prayers but has no championship experience. I agree with @BS2 Redcomment only one way to find out , but he’s been here for a while and doesn’t appear any closure to first team football 

2 minutes ago, daored said:

I’ve commented on this on the FBC podcast - one contributor believes he’s the answer to our prayers but has no championship experience. I agree with @BS2 Redcomment only one way to find out , but he’s been here for a while and doesn’t appear any closure to first team football 

If he struggles to deal with Martin et al in training then he won’t just he chucked in to start. Pearson has set his stall out to pick people who deserve to be picked. If Cundy doesn’t deserve it then he can’t just Chuck him in and undermine himself 

• Like 1

Nige has said a few things recently along the lines of:

have you seen him?  He’s massive!

Then going on to explain that it’s a big body putting load through the knee, so they’re taking it steady.

I don’t think Nige is thinking that as soon as he’s ready he will chuck straight in, but there may be a point that he may get game time here.

I wonder if that’s what he meant when he said that Robbie needs to be flexible.  I kinda read that to be that his contract runs out in the summer, he wants to go out and play somewhere to show Nige that he deserves another year (or impress another club, should City let him go OOC), but Nige is wary of doing that in case he is needed here.  Rock and a hard place for player and club / Nige.

19 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Because we have Zak Vyner back there who should be no where near our starting team. Some of the goals that've came from him are embarrassing. 

I think Vyner has been made a bit of a scapegoat for wider failings within the team. He was poor at the weekend but not the only defender who made mistakes. It is a worry that he has the lapses in concentration that he does and, at the age of 24, he ideally should have nailed down a best starting position but I also think - prior to Saturday - he's looked better in recent weeks than he has all season and I honestly think some of the criticism of his performance has been more to do with previous performances than Saturday alone. For example, Kalas was an ineffective against Mitrovic for the second as Vyner was the first and - whilst Vyner's attempt to get the second ball for that second goal wasn't great - the reality is the striker was always the favourite to get it the second Mitrovic bested Kalas in the air.

I'm not exonerating Vyner - I don't trust him in a back two , I don't know what his best position is and he has too many lapses - but it does feel he is being singled out as the scapegoat of choice in an appalling all-round defensive performance from the team. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

I feel sorry for Vyner, bit like Taylor Moore, found his position and was playing well, then circumstances meant he moved and the form went. TM did well at RCB, then got shifted to the left and struggled. Zak has been moved even more, he had a run at RCB when he had cut out the mistakes and looked likely to be the next one to be sold for big money. Didn't last long as he was moved to DCM then RB and RWB then around a back 3. He's a decent player that needs a position and needs to learn and stay there for a run IMO. 

I am impressed with the Clubs new attitude towards injured players. Williams being held back for the long term, Cundy being held back to make sure he is fully ready. Recent past suggests under the previous medical & fitness staff they would both be playing, and most likely breaking down. 

I am eager to see him on the bench fairly soon.

• Like 3

Guess training maybe giving some decent clues up against Martin in particular, but maybe also Conway/Britton. Being good in the air at this level is really about positioning and working out what will happen next, more than pure physical attributes. Mitrovic is 6’2” not 6’7”, but is much more skilled than most (/all) at this level in the ancient arts of being a striker.

We’ve probably been guilty for too long on relying on strikers (Fam and this season CM) to defend dead balls.  Now we’re seeing the fruits of a different approach/personnel up front, we’ve whack-a-moled a different problem to our defence. For one vs one against a decent striker think Baker is a big loss, whilst Vyner wasn’t great on Saturday and the team as a whole hardly demonstrated Italian-esque defending, that’s the last time we’ll see a potentially 50+ goals striker this season, which is an important part of Saturday’s puzzle/disappointment. 

Edited by The Swan and Cemetery

Wild speculation alert ! :preacher:

Cundy not playing for the kids tonight, and not on the bench.

Pick your theory.

A) In the squad Saturday and rested.

B) Picked up a niggle

C) Going out on loan

D) Gone on protest march and got arrested.

All will be revealed at 11:30 Saturday morning .

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 19.06.54.png

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Wild speculation alert ! :preacher:

Cundy not playing for the kids tonight, and not on the bench.

Pick your theory.

A) In the squad Saturday and rested.

B) Picked up a niggle

C) Going out on loan

D) Gone on protest march and got arrested.

All will be revealed at 11:30 Saturday morning .

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 19.06.54.png

C

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Guess training maybe giving some decent clues up against Martin in particular, but maybe also Conway/Britton. Being good in the air at this level is really about positioning and working out what will happen next, more than pure physical attributes. Mitrovic is 6’2” not 6’7”, but is much more skilled than most (/all) at this level in the ancient arts of being a striker.

We’ve probably been guilty for too long on relying on strikers (Fam and this season CM) to defend dead balls.  Now we’re seeing the fruits of a different approach/personnel up front, we’ve whack-a-moled a different problem to our defence. For one vs one against a decent striker think Baker is a big loss, whilst Vyner wasn’t great on Saturday and the team as a whole hardly demonstrated Italian-esque defending, that’s the last time we’ll see a potentially 50+ goals striker this season, which is an important part of Saturday’s puzzle/disappointment. 

It’s why I’m surprised Atkinson didn’t start on Saturday.

I feel like I have our defensive set-pieces the kiss of death with my recent analysis of our corner set-up.

• Like 1

I’ve seen Cundy quite a few times, absolute quality, solid at the back and chipped in a few goals. Deservedly won all the POTY awards at Bath City.

Not sure if he can make the step up, but was definitely worth a punt, and decision whether to play him rests with NP. Saw him play for Cambridge at FGR, and he looked a reasonable League 1/2 player at best, but he seemed to develop well at Gillingham.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

I’ve seen Cundy quite a few times, absolute quality, solid at the back and chipped in a few goals. Deservedly won all the POTY awards at Bath City.

Not sure if he can make the step up, but was definitely worth a punt, and decision whether to play him rests with NP. Saw him play for Cambridge at FGR, and he looked a reasonable League 1/2 player at best, but he seemed to develop well at Gillingham.

Only saw him once for Gillingham (on TV v Lincoln) when he had a decent game though Gills were completely outclassed.

I thought Pearson’s response on him suggested to me he wasn’t sure yet (or at all) that he could make the next step up, but you are absolutely right, he’s done so at every level so far.

He’s 25 in May, so is approaching the age we should know (I do appreciate he was later to the pro ranks), do think the next fortnight could be interesting, with Baker out & seemingly no prospect of Moore coming back if he remains & then doesn’t feature in the squad post window when we are clearly short of defenders then it strongly suggests his time with us won’t be extended.