IGNORED

Fouling in transition - are we missing a trick?

Curr Avon

The subtle art of fouling when facing a counter-attack, or transition, is ugly, but a necessary evil for the best teams. Ask Manchester City.

Personally, I hate these type of fouls and have advocated the use of sin-bins as a punitive punishment.

However, until they come into force City could make use of this type of 'shithousery' to deliberately slow games down, say, when they're beating a top side.

If you can't beat 'em join 'em?

Or, do I not like that?

Edited by Curr Avon

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

The subtle art of fouling when facing a counter-attack, or transition, is ugly, but a necessary evil for the best teams. Ask Manchester City.

Personally, I hate these type of fouls and have advocated the use of sin-bins as a punitive punishment.

However, until they come into force City could make use of this type of 'shithousery' to deliberately slow games down, say, when they're beating a top side.

Or, do I not like that?

Sort of like what King did the other day you mean ? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I hear what you're saying, but the term was 'subtle'.

I did read that, I bet King thought he was being ‘subtle ‘ though.

I believe that we need to be more streetwise than we are. We have been a bit soft since our glory days of Gow and Hunter.

I have often said we are football snobs at this club and look down our noses at the ‘dark arts’ whilst other clubs make us look naeve. 
Amongst our current squad , Martin is a bit good at drawing fouls but ,bizarrely , rarely gets the decision in his favour.
There is some bloke called Williams who apparently plays for us and can be a bit tasty when he’s not on the treatment table.
Scott and Massengo are obvious ones as well . They are smart at getting the fouls but don’t impose themselves on the opponents.

We rarely seem to outmuscle any team and I believe NP is trying to toughen them up. Get them angry and fired up. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 2

‘Tactical’ fouls have been a part of the beautiful game for decades but it’s down to managers to make players aware ( as  if they don’t already know) of when it’s the right time to do it. Obviously if a player is on a yellow then don’t take the risk

Referees know it as well……………:cool2:

I think we’re aware, and I think we try, we’re just not very good at it. We miss the ‘transition’ bit!

To be effective (and especially to avoid too many cards) it relies on doing it around the half way line, and on doing it before the opposing player is already past you. 

We wait until either the edge of our box (first couple of minutes on Saturday) or when the opponent is clearly away and a card is inevitable (Scott on Saturday). 

Edited by italian dave

Are we missing a trick?

Of course we are. "Soft City" innit.

Then again, does the OP actually want us to be a Warnock team?? Because that's what the savvy, cynical alternative is - a cross between Sergio Ramos and Dave Martin. Christalive, what a bunch of c**ts that team would be.

I'd rather we tried to play teams off the park than go there. So I'll compromise - we'll play 'em off the park but have a Gerry  Gow standing guard in centre mid.

Over to you Nige. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Are we missing a trick?

Of course we are. "Soft City" innit.

Then again, does the OP actually want us to be a Warnock team?? Because that's what the savvy, cynical alternative is - a cross between Sergio Ramos and Dave Martin. Christalive, what a bunch of c**ts that team would be.

I'd rather we tried to play teams off the park than go there. So I'll compromise - we'll play 'em off the park but have a Gerry  Gow standing guard in centre mid.

Over to you Nige. 

No, I'd rather we played teams off the park and hate cynical fouling.

Nevertheless, Manchester City have been masters of it under Guardiola, despite being a wonderful passing team.

My questions are...

Or, do I not like that?

• Like 1

I think it is pretty naive to think we don’t do this already, young Scott got booked on Saturday for exactly this.

Everyone focusses on the Andy King one because it saw him sent off but we definitely are doing this, HNM & Benarous have done so, too.

Do we need to be harder to play through (& around)? Definitely.

Are other sides better at this ugly part of the game? Yep.

But we’re not averse to this stuff.