IGNORED

Official: Might not see Baker again this season

Sleepy1968

49 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I did hear last week from a fairly reliable source that he is retiring.

If the reports of the combined affects of his head injuries overs the years are true he has no other alternative. We’ve all got to hope that there is no long lasting impairment to his health and he enjoys a happy long retirement 

• Like 4

A fit Nathan Baker is one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. We don't have anyone else that can match his physicality and aerial ability and it's a real shame that his career has been blighted by injuries.

Whilst we've all rolled our eyes when he's had to go off at half time in a number of games, there is no doubting that he has always given his best when he's pulled on the red shirt.

He clearly needs to do whats best for his health but from a selfish point of view i'll be disapointed if that is the end of his career because he'll be difficult to replace.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

What?! Trying to join in the conversation. Apologies if I’ve spoken out of turn.

At the risk of this being a “whooosh” comment,,, he was taken to hospital twice in a month with serious head injuries and hasnt been near the playing squad since and nige has confirmed he wont play again this season…. 

19 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

At the risk of this being a “whooosh” comment,,, he was taken to hospital twice in a month with serious head injuries and hasnt been near the playing squad since and nige has confirmed he wont play again this season…. 

Wow, thanks Simon. Wish him all the best and fingers crossed he’s fit and well soon. 

Oh well, as it's now official from NP - Nathan baker will be retiring due to ongoing traumatic Brain injuries.

It's affecting his daily life outside of football quite significantly, and has the potential to be a life-long issue.

Wishing Nathan a long and healthy life, and best to his family as well - they will be relieved that he is taking the sensible option.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Oh well, as it's now official from NP - Nathan baker will be retiring due to ongoing traumatic Brain injuries.

It's affecting his daily life outside of football quite significantly, and has the potential to be a life-long issue.

Wishing Nathan a long and healthy life, and best to his family as well - they will be relieved that he is taking the sensible option.

Sad news, but glad news in a funny way.  Just had a little one havent they, so hopefully he’s done enough over the years to be relatively set up for life.

Best wishes Bakes.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Is that what NP actually said? So sad for Bakes but he has to let his health come first.

It would be nice if he could be at AG for a home game (if he feels OK to do so of course) so we can say goodbye properly.

• Like 1

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

Is that what NP actually said? So sad for Bakes but he has to let his health come first.

It would be nice if he could be at AG for a home game (if he feels OK to do so of course) so we can say goodbye properly.

No he didn’t, but I think CR might well be ITK here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Sad news. Best wishes for the future to Nathan and family. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

If the reports of the combined affects of his head injuries overs the years are true he has no other alternative. We’ve all got to hope that there is no long lasting impairment to his health and he enjoys a happy long retirement 

It’s clinically proven that numerous concussions can lead to an increased risk of developing dementia in later life. Geoff Astle, Jackie Charlton, Bobby Charlton, Nobby Styles and Martin Peters  all developed dementia.

Baker has experienced several concussions already and will be aware that if he continues to play that the chances of developing dementia in later life increases dramatically.

I hope he retires from the game.

• Like 3

Always liked watching Nathan play.Will be a shame if he has to retire but there is really no alternative for him.Hope he is fortunate enough not to have complications from his injuries in later life.Best of luck for the future Nathan and thanks for some full blooded appearances.

• Like 1

I’ve continually called him “a warrior” and “the best defender at our club” on here - and I’ve been laughed at, ridiculed and shouted down for those views - but I still stand by them - Nathan Baker is a proper defender - a proper stopper, a guy who relishes the battle and gives everything - it’s been a pleasure cheering him on, I hope he’s ok and can return to play for us - but if not, thanks Bakes - a proper hard man who knew how to give everything for the Red shirt ... ??

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ve continually called him “a warrior” and “the best defender at our club” on here - and I’ve been laughed at, ridiculed and shouted down for those views - but I still stand by them - Nathan Baker is a proper defender - a proper stopper, a guy who relishes the battle and gives everything - it’s been a pleasure cheering him on, I hope he’s ok and can return to play for us - but if not, thanks Bakes - a proper hard man who knew how to give everything for the Red shirt ... ??

The bloke has played in the Premier League, an FA Cup Final and been a superb defender for City. Anybody that can't see that really doesn't know a lot about football. If it wasn't for his injury record he would be spoken about as one of the best defenders we've had since the top flight days.

• Like 7