IGNORED

Official: Might not see Baker again this season

Sleepy1968

9 hours ago, archie andrews said:

only odowda left of the "golden generation" now then .....

thanks bakes for the memories always thought we looked solid when he was fit and well...

If COD is considered to be part of a "golden generation" then no wonder we never made the playoffs, can we even call it a "golden generation" without some kind of success or even being good enough to challenge for success?

9 hours ago, archie andrews said:

thanks bakes for the memories always thought we looked solid when he was fit and well...

Edited by Pezo
  • Like 3

Can’t help wondering how this is affecting our other defenders. It is easy to criticise our defence for being out-fought and out-challenged on Saturday but I wonder how easy it is to throw yourself into challenges when you have a teammate (and very possibly friend) coming to terms with the effect that throwing himself wholeheartedly into challenges has had on his body…

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

If COD is considered to be part of a "golden generation" then no wonder we never made the playoffs, can we even call it a "golden generation" without some kind of success or even being good enough to challenge for success?

You count him as the golden generation if Robbie Savage can count himself in the class of 92!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ve continually called him “a warrior” and “the best defender at our club” on here - and I’ve been laughed at, ridiculed and shouted down for those views - but I still stand by them - Nathan Baker is a proper defender - a proper stopper, a guy who relishes the battle and gives everything - it’s been a pleasure cheering him on, I hope he’s ok and can return to play for us - but if not, thanks Bakes - a proper hard man who knew how to give everything for the Red shirt ... ??

Although I rate Kalas higher myself, I’m not arguing with the rest.

As Pearson said last night he has if anything been too brave on occasions, but he’s had a very decent career (over 100 games for a club the size of Villa isn’t shabby) & the most important thing now is he takes care of himself for the rest of his life.

I do think it means any signing we make this month has to be a replacement, as with NP ruling out bringing Moore back last week, we are light at the back & short on experience, too.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, archie andrews said:

I’d call it the Iron Pyrites (fools gold) generation 

Good luck Bakes. On his day a superb, body-on-the-line defender. 

In my footballing journey, got head knocks on several occasions both as a keeper and a centre forward. One was pretty serious, apparently I walked off the pitch through the crowd to the changing room after going up for a ball from a goal kick. My only recollection was continually asking ‘what day is it?’ to the paramedic in the ambulance en-route to hospital. Seemingly, he kept telling me, only for me to say ‘but, what day is it?’. Funny old thing is the brain.

Anyhow, if it’s any consolation to Bakes, forty odd years on I’m still here and functioning.

All the best lad. If medics are telling you to take a break or retire, nothing is more important than your health. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

21 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

The bloke has played in the Premier League, an FA Cup Final and been a superb defender for City. Anybody that can't see that really doesn't know a lot about football. If it wasn't for his injury record he would be spoken about as one of the best defenders we've had since the top flight days.

Totally agree mate - I just think back to all those people on here, most of whom don’t attend a City game home or away, deciding to ridicule Baker whenever he left the field injured with soundbites such as “imagine my surprise” on Match Day Threads when they were sat comfortably at home ready to condemn Baker at any given moment on their keyboards, and then they had to post snivelling apologies when they didn’t realise how injured he was - eg Barnsley away - Baker is a top class championship defender - he’s a warrior, hard as nails, willing to put everything on the line to defend our goal and people still feel it is appropriate to criticise him. I despair - Nathan Baker, fantastic Bristol City player who also played well over 100 games for Villa in the premier league - but he’s not good enough for some. Well he is certainly good enough for me - best defender at our club by a country mile - I really hope he can grace our colours again ... ?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Totally agree mate - I just think back to all those people on here, most of whom don’t attend a City game home or away, deciding to ridicule Baker whenever he left the field injured with soundbites such as “imagine my surprise” on Match Day Threads when they were sat comfortably at home ready to condemn Baker at any given moment on their keyboards, and then they had to post snivelling apologies when they didn’t realise how injured he was - eg Barnsley away - Baker is a top class championship defender - he’s a warrior, hard as nails, willing to put everything on the line to defend our goal and people still feel it is appropriate to criticise him. I despair - Nathan Baker, fantastic Bristol City player who also played well over 100 games for Villa in the premier league - but he’s not good enough for some. Well he is certainly good enough for me - best defender at our club by a country mile - I really hope he can grace our colours again ... ?

** I of course meant Sheffield Utd away not Barnsley! Apologies ...