IGNORED

Ashton Gate Eight - 40th Anniversary events announced

shahanshahan

24 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Great tribute and quite emotional. My life seemed to flash in front of my eyes when they showed Jimmy Mann’s goal against Forest.

I could see exactly where a 14 year old me was stood in the East End as it sailed past Shilton.

The frightening thing was how black and white and grainy it looked, made me feel about 90 years old.

Also, in all the time we haven’t seen the goal the further out it’s been, in reality it wasn’t quite the 40 yarder that some have spoken about but a cracking effort all the same. Especially as we all hated Shilton in those days.

I'm sure I remember something in the Bristol Evening Post. I thought they deduced it was 39 yarder. Whenever this goal gets mentioned, I remember my brother's mate (we'll call him Wayne H) had jumped down behind the Boys Enclosure to recover something his older broether had thrown down there, so missed "the goal".

As it was one of the first dozen or so City goals I think I saw, I had no idea of how special it was at the time.

• Like 1

Bloody typical, missed the showing of Mann's goal. Got in a little late then forgot about it being shown. Saw the players coming out, shame that Chris is so poorly and that Jimmy Mann isn't interested, though you can understand it.
Really hope they show the Mann goal somewhere, there is so little footage of those days that I even save the defeats when I find them .

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Bloody typical, missed the showing of Mann's goal. Got in a little late then forgot about it being shown. Saw the players coming out, shame that Chris is so poorly and that Jimmy Mann isn't interested, though you can understand it.
Really hope they show the Mann goal somewhere, there is so little footage of those days that I even save the defeats when I find them .

Hopefully the Media Team will produce a youtube video about the Ashton Gate 8 commemorations, and include it in that.

• Like 1

The Jimmy Mann goal against Forest was stunning, all the more so as it flew past Peter Shilton. It was not his only great goal though as I well remember the screamer he scored at Burnden Park in our win at Bolton in front on the Match of the Day cameras on the opening day of the 78/79 season. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Couldn't the surfer flag have been a bit more respectful to the 8? Anyone with half an idea of the story will know that they definitely did not have a dream. They should always be thanked but forget the bullshit.

This is the one thing that I find so cringeworthy. It's akin to watching a documentary or a film of a true event only to find something has been added/altered to make it more of a "nice" story. Rant over ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Great tribute and quite emotional. My life seemed to flash in front of my eyes when they showed Jimmy Mann’s goal against Forest.

I could see exactly where a 14 year old me was stood in the East End as it sailed past Shilton.

The frightening thing was how black and white and grainy it looked, made me feel about 90 years old.

Also, in all the time we haven’t seen the goal the further out it’s been, in reality it wasn’t quite the 40 yarder that some have spoken about but a cracking effort all the same. Especially as we all hated Shilton in those days.

I think it was that moment I started to get a bit emotional about the whole thing.  For years I’ve always said Mann’s goal, Newman’s goal (v Newport), Tomlin’s chip up and half volley and Joe Bryan’s pure strike v Man Utd we’re the best goals I’ve seen in a City shirt (I wasn’t there for Nobes v Palace)…but always wondered whether I was just being nostalgic.  But that video confirmed it was an effing beauty.  At least 35 yards, maybe the 40 yards I remembered.

Shame Jimmy wasn’t there.

Thank you AG8, and thanks to all who put together a fitting tribute.  I took my dad today (belated 80th after we had to cancel his match in December.  Glad I chose this game, by chance.  Brought back father and son memories from the games he took me when I was 8/9/10.  Nice for him to come to a game with me and Joe.  He’s quite a good omen too.  He’s usually a nailed on 1-0…but he settled for 2-1. ?

• Like 7
  • Robin 3

12 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

Does anyone know if there's a good podcast interviewing them at all? I'd like to learn more about it and thought Geoff Merrick's interview was really interesting.

I interviewed all 6 in groups of 2 for around 20 minutes each, will release them over the coming weeks under the Robins Reunited banner of 3 Peaps In A Podcast, hope you enjoy them! 

87FDF35E-236A-48DD-9D31-E611645CC460.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Robin 4

10 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

No plastic footballs then, and at the time, Shilton was the best keeper in England and in his prime. That did bring a tear, as I have not seen it again, and my memory was quite accurate and it brought back memories of youth and witnessing City in the top flight. I recall Gerry  Sharpe saying the went out and measured it , was 39 yards from my recollection of what he said. Was mentioned on the old egroups chat . Hope they put it on youtube. 

Yes as you and others have mentioned and it’s jogged my memory, someone measured it, remember seeing it in the WDP, by counting the stripes on the pitch if I remember rightly. 
I also remember the east end going nuts, I was relatively new to Ashton Gate then but could tell that was a strike you don’t see every day, not sure it’s been matched at Ashton Gate since.

I look forward to getting a proper look at it again soon but from what I saw today I don’t think anything will match the view I had that day in the East End. 

Really good tribute today; well done City and Scott Davidson. Brought a tear to my eye. Memories. Unfortunately my Dad was too unwell to attend today but on the bright side my daughter attended her second game today - first one was when she was 5; she’s now 22! - and my wife attended for the first time in 16 and a half years. Plus a gutsy win and it’s my birthday tomorrow - well today now! A good day all round. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 5

8 hours ago, 3 Peaps In A PodCast said:

I interviewed all 6 in groups of 2 for around 20 minutes each, will release them over the coming weeks under the Robins Reunited banner of 3 Peaps In A Podcast, hope you enjoy them! 

87FDF35E-236A-48DD-9D31-E611645CC460.jpeg

Great, thanks for letting me know.

I listened to your recent one with Wayne Allison and Junior Bent and enjoyed that too. Good work.

• Flames 1

10 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

This is the one thing that I find so cringeworthy. It's akin to watching a documentary or a film of a true event only to find something has been added/altered to make it more of a "nice" story. Rant over ?

I think everyone knows that nobody had a ‘dream’ just like there weren’t any ‘heroics’, it must have been a distressing, awful time for everyone involved.

Im just thankful that it got sorted but respectful of the fact that these 8 players gave up their jobs to do so.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, TomF said:

Ok I’m watching this all day now. What a goal and what a memory for those of us there, and yes it was in colour on the day.

If you look at the size of the box, 18 yards, then this isn’t quite 40 yards but it’s a long old way out to beat a keeper like Shilton. Absolutely brilliant. Wish he was there yesterday but respect his decision not to.

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

That could be me writing that - give or take a few years old!!

Definitely brought a lump to the throat.

40 yards or not, I was still surprised that it really was as far out as I remember: often those sort of goals seem miles out at the time but are actually just outside the area - that really was a long way outside it!

Great work from the club yesterday: an event to remember. 

• Like 2

May have missed it being mentioned already but how good were the kids with flags when they had to March through the sprinklers getting soaking wet?

I must admit I’d have broken rank and walked around them but they didn’t flinch and just marched straight into the spray.  Great work and I hope they dried out quickly.

As others have said - considering how the club have managed these events before, I was concerned this may be another disaster - but I was delighted and impressed at the whole thing - topped off by Geoff Merrick saying how much he had enjoyed the past 3 days.

And whoever agreed with both teams and the ref - that the teams would open up and allow the 8 to walk off the pitch through them to applause - did another great job.

Im really hoping someone has kept a video diary of the 3 days which could be sold on DVD - and then all the proceeds to go to the 8.

Does anyone know if this is planned?

• Like 3