IGNORED

Brighton Chelsea

Unan

45 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Even at his best Keane was a solid centre half but with few of the qualities of a modern defender. Qualities Webster has in abundance.

As I said not disagreeing.  But Keane made his debut in 2016/17.  Things were different, and Keane was a decent squad option at the time who had been with Southgate through the age groups.  Webster is a far better footballer and a better option - now. 

Edited by lenred

Interesting reading that BC fans consider him one of their.best centre backs.  We paid you a lot of money for him and while he took half a season to get up to speed, he has been an excellent signing.  He is now on a par with, maybe better than Lewis Dunk now - a complete two footed centre back with pace and dominance in the air.  I reckon he probably needs to do one more season here and if he has another season like this, well a top 6 club will throw money at him.

I don't have any faith in Southgate looking at him in the meantime though, but he really should.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Really impressed with Brighton. Just need a bit more power/presence in the centre forward area.

Webster was immense.

Lummydaze, how far have they progressed beyond us since that play off final. 

We have progressed because the club have thrown millions at the right things.  A proper infrastructure (not just a stadium but also the training facility and an extensive behind the scenes hierarchy.) For this reason, I'm genuinely more worried we will lose our head of recruitment Dan Ashworth to Newcastle than of losing Yves Bissouma in the summer.

I always looked at Bristol City as a club who are going in the right direction, but then you brought in Nigel Pearson who seemed a baffling appointment.  Mind you, success at a football club doesn't begin and end with the manager these days, that's for sure.  There's no doubt that clubs like our two clubs can compete at the top level simply by being very well run.

Edited by Simster
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Simster said:

We have progressed because the club have thrown millions at the right things.  A proper infrastructure (not just a stadium but also the training facility and an extensive behind the scenes hierarchy.) For this reason, I'm genuinely more worried we will lose our head of recruitment to Newcastle than of losing Yves Bissouma in the summer.

I always looked at Bristol City as a club who are going in the right direction, but then you brought in Nigel Pearson who seemed a baffling appointment.  Mind you, success at a football club doesn't begin and end with the manager these days, that's for sure.  There's no doubt that clubs like our two clubs can compete at the top level simply by being very well run.

Theres no doubt that brighton and brentford are the 2 clubs that we need to be emulating, but the way we are run has been a shambles,,, so many clubs have got to the top flight, who in theory are similar in size to us, but we are miles away. Its good to see though that clubs can do it and be successful, it ought to give us something to aspire to! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Theres no doubt that brighton and brentford are the 2 clubs that we need to be emulating, but the way we are run has been a shambles,,, so many clubs have got to the top flight, who in theory are similar in size to us, but we are miles away. Its good to see though that clubs can do it and be successful, it ought to give us something to aspire to! 

Yeah I should have mentioned Brentford.  I knew they'd stay up - wish I'd layed their relegation on Betfair, they were 2.04/2.06 to go down.  Brentford and Brighton are owned by arch rivals and former colleagues (Benham and Bloom) who made their fortunes in gambling syndicates.  They are two guys who know about extracting value (expect them to both to sign value players rather than what everyone else thinks they need) and who recognise the importance of their whole organisations.  They are cut from the same cloth in that way.   Brentford won't have second season syndrome either IMO.  

Big clubs who are a total shambles have never been so vulnerable.  Everton put the feelers out for Potter and were met by lols everywhere, including Potter himself (reading between the lines). I think that says it all.

• Like 3

Webster and Kilman need a serious look in the England set up. Really good defenders who are also very good on the ball. Kilman not seen in a two yet but been solid every time I have seen him play. Webster is Webster. Not surprised he is getting a bit more attention with Brighton doing well. 

8 hours ago, Simster said:

We have progressed because the club have thrown millions at the right things.  A proper infrastructure (not just a stadium but also the training facility and an extensive behind the scenes hierarchy.) For this reason, I'm genuinely more worried we will lose our head of recruitment Dan Ashworth to Newcastle than of losing Yves Bissouma in the summer.

We had a completely overblown squad situation caused by our previous inexperienced manager and our absolute useless scumbag of a CEO that led to wages being over 200% of turnover.

Nige's premise was to sort us out, not spend money due to FFP, and rebuild. I.e. releasing 11 players over the summer.

If we avoid relegation this season and see progression of some kind of style of play, any of us would take it.

This season was a write off before it began.

As for Webster - best centre back in a City shirt bar none.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Simster said:

We have progressed because the club have thrown millions at the right things.  A proper infrastructure (not just a stadium but also the training facility hand an extensive behind the scenes hierarchy.) For this reason, I'm genuinely more worried we will lose our head of recruitment Dan Ashworth to Newcastle than of losing Yves Bissouma in the summer.

We have the ground, the brand new training facility, the non-football income stream, the Bristol Sporting umbrella …..however, the ‘extensive behind the scenes (football)hierarchy’ comprised of Mark Ashton and his band of merry men (now all at Ipswich - poor sods). 

So close, yet so far.

The fundamental of a knowledgable football man at the helm, with a good network of scouts, and competent support staff was our missing part of the strategy. Anyone with any nouse could see it. Pity others didn’t.

Think many feel Pearson - despite some odd signings, player selections, substitutions - may yet be our saviour. Support might, however, be primarily based on the fact that we’re all pissed off with the players and just like a manager who fronts them up and bins them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

We had a completely overblown squad situation caused by our previous inexperienced manager and our absolute useless scumbag of a CEO that led to wages being over 200% of turnover.

Nige's premise was to sort us out, not spend money due to FFP, and rebuild. I.e. releasing 11 players over the summer.

If we avoid relegation this season and see progression of some kind of style of play, any of us would take it.

This season was a write off before it began.

As for Webster - best centre back in a City shirt bar none.

Id raise you: Gary Collier

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Simster said:

The stupid thing is that our ex-CEO (left for some reason in the summer for Ipswich ?) modelled himself on Dan Ashworth.  Dan’s model is he is that the centre of everything (football related). Ashworth is Technical Director, Paul Barber, CEO and Paul Winstanly, HOR and Analysis.

So, what I never understood was how Ashton didn’t have a conflict of self-interest trying to play all of those roles.  Basically he marked his own homework.  Not helped by SL and JL and their hands-off approach.  I think eventually City will evolve their current set up with mist Gould and Pearson.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Simster said:

Unfortunately we have not been well run. 

We needed an experienced man like Pearson in charge precisely because our version of Dan Ashworth was a complete bluffer. Thankfully he's now working his magic at Ipswich.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, chinapig said:

Even at his best Keane was a solid centre half but with few of the qualities of a modern defender. Qualities Webster has in abundance.

Webster was not on Keane's level when he was getting England caps. Webster has since surpassed him comfortably. I'd like to see him go to Arsenal in the summer.

11 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Unfortunately we have not been well run. 

Indeed, well-funded, absolutely, but even then you might argue irresponsibly funded. It’s fine having a nice ground and training facilities if the squad keep pace with the ambition.

Edited by Davefevs

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed, well-funded, absolutely, but even then you might argue irresponsibly funded. It’s fine having a nice ground and training facilities if the squad keep pace with the ambition.

Developing AG and building new training facilities were always on the agenda, two elements of the long term project going back as far back as the ‘five pillars’…………….:cool2:

Obviously having a state of the art stadium and trading facilities are essential in attracting quality players but so to is having a well respected manager in charge who has a decent CV. 

At long last SL has appointed a manager who fits the bill, handing him a three year contract and slowly but surely Nige is going about creating a squad capable of reaching the PL.

Thus far Nige has been hindered by having  experienced players missing thru injury but that has meant that he’s had little choice but to play youngsters and so far most of them have stood up well and by doing that has almost accidentally met SLs ambition of building a squad with a blend of experience and youth.

Nige has 2.5 seasons left on his contract and I for one would happy enough to see a mid table finish this campaign. I’d see as a progression on how things have been under LJ and smarmy Ashton.

• Like 2