IGNORED

Best city 5 aside team

Simon bristol

Just seen a thread along these lines on social media, so thought i would a thread on here to take us down memory lane!

Ive been watching since the 80s so missed the 70s glory days, but based on what ive seen since id go with:

basso, webster, brownhill, jacki and cole.

obviously gow and atyeo would come into the reckoning, but i never saw them play!

any alternatives? Im sure there are a lot im missing, like tammy, bryan, newman, walsh, taylor etc etc?!

Agree with Basso, not our best all round keeper (I think Heaton would take that), but would be best in 5 a side.

Webster - Easy. Two footed, skilful, great.

I'd be tempted to then put in Trundle (think he's made for 5 a side), JET (same as Trundle), perhaps Bryan because he has the defensive abilities to partner Webby, but also a cracking shot on him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Basso, bell, biff newman, brian tinnion, bob taylor.

The 5 bs,

What was the six a side, leauge for ex players, from the bigger clubs?

Im sure i saw us play in the purple kit in that once?

Masters Football? Was shown on sky sports

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Marvin Elliott would be class at 5-a-side. Super fit, wouldn’t stop. You can’t carry players in 5 a side so lazy players like JET and Jacki would be a no for me.  Scotty would be decent. Tammy, Webster and Heaton I guess. 

Really? I think the complete opposite. Super fit isn't really required at 5-a-side and it favours technically better players. All the good teams I ever played for and against at 5-a-side were 'older' guys who were technically excellent and all the 'kids' running around super fit were not very good.

• Like 2

Tom Heaton

Joe Bryan

Adam Webster

Bobby Reid

Tammy Abraham

I've gone with a side that is still playing. Joe can easily drop back when defending, but still bomb forward. Bobby likewise from up top into the middle. 

Heaton easily the best keeper we've had in recent years (shocking team in front of him), but the rest of the team still young and fit enough to really get about the pitch.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Taz said:

Tom Heaton

Joe Bryan

Adam Webster

Bobby Reid

Tammy Abraham

I've gone with a side that is still playing. Joe can easily drop back when defending, but still bomb forward. Bobby likewise from up top into the middle. 

Heaton easily the best keeper we've had in recent years (shocking team in front of him), but the rest of the team still young and fit enough to really get about the pitch.

Would Tammy get any goals outside the “D” though? ???

• Haha 1

Only watched city since 2005ish.

I think some of the slickest football I've seen City play was in the first half of the 17-18 season. Bobby Reid was at the heart of that so he has to be in. As others have mentioned, Joe Bryan's versatility would be incredibly useful.

Lee Trundle would probably be in danger of entering into passenger territory but in close quarters would be devastating. JET would bring physicality which is an underrated component of 5-a-side.

Steven Caulker would make a excellent defensive minded option. Seems like he's fallen out of favour on this forum but for feet skill I've always rated Jay DaSilva. Finally, someone with a bit of hustle is always needed and Paul Hartley fit that description perfectly and hasn't been mentioned by others.

Heaton, Bryan, Hartley, Reid, JET would be my team. With Caulker, Trundle and DaSilva there or there abouts. 

Edited by Chairman Mao

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Anybody, got any footage of city in the masters please.

Trying to find. I went when we played in the Masters at Cardiff in 2008. Squad is below.

I can only imagine with Kuhl, McCarthy and Biff in the squad we just waited for everyone else to get tired by running around the vast surface area of our players to get to the goal.

4AA90115-3224-4A66-8EE0-B65B0622AFBE.jpeg

Edited by Silvio Dante

5 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Marvin Elliott would be class at 5-a-side. Super fit, wouldn’t stop. You can’t carry players in 5 a side so lazy players like JET and Jacki would be a no for me.  Scotty would be decent. Tammy, Webster and Heaton I guess. 

Amazing how opinions differ. My view would be that you want to keep the ball on a tighter pitch. Would rather those with technical ability than headless chickens. Suppose It’s all about styles. 

A selection from over the years:

Ray Cashley in goal as he started his career as an outfield player so could do more than just basic goal keeping. 

Two defensive players - Geoff Merrick and Gerry Sweeney as both had the ability to do a lot more than just defending. 

Two players who could provide midfield and attacking flair - Tom Richie and Bobbie Reid. 

It’s interesting to look as other people’s  suggestions,  and it’s impossible to get agreement, but I feel that some are choosing players based on their 11 a side ability rather than 5 a side. For example we’ve had a few centre halves mentioned who were good in the air and good at marking (thumping) traditional centre forwards. The ball is never in the air in 5 a side and you don’t get to mark traditional centre forwards so these skills are redundant. There have also been a few  players mentioned who were skilful but lazy. You can’t be lazy in 5 a side as everyone has to run non stop and be totally flexible with positional play. 

• Like 1