IGNORED

Bents or Max?

Slippin cider

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Max - better distribution than the long boot which had become a feature of our play and never helped our retention of the ball

I sense a change of being ‘braver with the ball’ as Kalas has mentioned. This has coincided with no Martyn in the team and Max in goal. 
Bents’ distribution would be fine if given the same set up Max has fallen in to imo. 
Max is stuck to his line a lot and needs to learn to claim crosses. I’d say he borders on a flapper to be honest!

Hopefully with more games he will improve his judgement. 

Edited by nickolas
  • Like 2

We have let in far too many, but can’t think of one so far I thought Max should have done better with, maybe the Millwall goal if you’re being hypercritical, but think Towler was more at fault there.

No reason to change therefore.

• Like 1

Not sure I’ve seen enough from Max to make me confident he’s a long term number one. It’s a bit like when we had Stephen Henderson here under Basso. Everyone kept saying he deserved a crack at the number 1 jersey, but realistically he wasn’t even in Basso’s league.

Max’s Distribution is good, but I do wonder how much of that is purely down to him versus coaching instructions. Then again you could argue if it is a coaching instruction then why did Bentley seemingly ignore it? Why keep going with the long punt?

Can only assume Bentley is being sold though to have been benched so suddenly and ruthlessly. He’s definitely earned us more points than he’s cost us so should have been firmly in credit with the number 1 shirt. Haven’t heard anything conclusive about a move in the press though?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Max, much better with the ball at its feet. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that the football has been better since he’s been in goal.

Coincided with Martin not starting which seems more likely to be the reason imo. Bents was aiming for his head, Max isn't because Semenyo is now there. I'd go with DB as the better keeper, I'm sure he could pass it out if no longer under instruction to boot it at CM. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

I sense a change of being ‘braver with the ball’ as Kalas has mentioned. This has coincided with no Martyn in the team and Max in goal. 
Bents’ distribution would be fine if given the same set up Max has fallen in to imo. 
Max is stuck to his line a lot and needs to learn to claim crosses. I’d say he borders on a flapper to be honest!

Hopefully with more games he will improve his judgement. 

Digressing slightly, I think Martin will start Saturday alongside Semenyo, and Weimann back into midfield / 10.  It’s then perm James, King and Massengo for the other two places.

I’d go:

O’Leary 

Kalas | Atkinson | Pring

Scott | James | Massengo | O’Dowda 

Weimann

Semenyo | Martin

Its got compromises but hey-ho.  Ideally I’d like to see Pring at LWB, but that can wait for a different opponent.

To be fair on Max, you can't really criticise him for Saturday, especially considering what Fulham did before, and after playing us!!

I'd probably give him another game or two, as we have been playing better from the back with him in goal.

Do we actually know for definite the reason why Bentley has been benched? It was strongly hinted by Nige that he broke a rule(s), but has that been elaborated on at all, or have I just missed it?

How well does Nige rate Max, and is he playing him because we have no other option, or is it genuinely as he feels he is as good as, or better than Bentley?

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Digressing slightly, I think Martin will start Saturday alongside Semenyo, and Weimann back into midfield / 10.  It’s then perm James, King and Massengo for the other two places.

I’d go:

O’Leary 

Kalas | Atkinson | Pring

Scott | James | Massengo | O’Dowda 

Weimann

Semenyo | Martin

Its got compromises but hey-ho.  Ideally I’d like to see Pring at LWB, but that can wait for a different opponent.

WTF have you included O'Dowda, enough already!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, headhunter said:

WTF have you included O'Dowda, enough already!!!

Because I’d rather him than Dasilva currently (size of Cardiff), and I’d rather play Pring LCB than shuffle him to LWB in place of O’Dowda and then play Vyner | Kalas | Atkinson.  I want my gurt big’un central!  As I said it’s got compromises.  I’m hoping O’Dowda plays better than v Fulham.

Havent seen any Robins Uncut this week…who knows Cundy might make his debut.  I guess we will get some signs from Nige tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Because I’d rather him than Dasilva currently (size of Cardiff), and I’d rather play Pring LCB than shuffle him to LWB in place of O’Dowda and then play Vyner | Kalas | Atkinson.  I want my gurt big’un central!  As I said it’s got compromises.  I’m hoping O’Dowda plays better than v Fulham.

Havent seen any Robins Uncut this week…who knows Cundy might make his debut.  I guess we will get some signs from Nige tomorrow.

But could you not play Semenyo in the wide left role that he cut in from to score his first. This would free up Weimann to go up front and let Vyner go in the middle if King is not fit; saying that, why waste Scott at RWB when Vyner can play there.

I expect you think I'm on a mission .... no COD in the line up!!!