IGNORED

Bents or Max?

Slippin cider

I’m happy with either of them. Bentley has been a good keeper for us and I like his passion. His distribution tends to be slow, but he has made some excellent saves. After being dropped his days seem to be numbered, and with our financial situation it would make sense to cash in. If we have to sell someone, he’d be less of a loss than someone like HNM  

I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far from Max, and maybe now it’s his time to step up. 

• Like 1

The conclusion I would draw from NP’s original wording & what has happened since is that Bentley is out of favour for something that has gone on behind the scenes. You just don’t drop your captain for this length of time unless there is something seriously wrong.

10 hours ago, headhunter said:

But could you not play Semenyo in the wide left role that he cut in from to score his first. This would free up Weimann to go up front and let Vyner go in the middle if King is not fit; saying that, why waste Scott at RWB when Vyner can play there.

I expect you think I'm on a mission .... no COD in the line up!!!

Are you suggesting playing him LWB?

Without trying to be funny (honestly!), Antoine’s run is only down the inside left, because we counter-attacked from a corner.  His second goal, he picked it up centrally and rolled his man into the inside-right position.

Why would you want to move him away from a position that he seems to be very productive in?  Apart from the O’Dowda reason? ???

If you start him wide, I think (my opinion only) you limit 50% of what Antoine can do.  He naturally roams, but better to roam from the middle than one side.  He makes good “in to out” runs.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cardy said:

The conclusion I would draw from NP’s original wording & what has happened since is that Bentley is out of favour for something that has gone on behind the scenes. You just don’t drop your captain for this length of time unless there is something seriously wrong.

Reading too much into it. Max is better on the ball & plays the sweeper keeper role well . Bentley doesn’t. Not much between them as keepers . My main keeping Criticism with both is not commanding the box. 

4 hours ago, Cardy said:

My recollection from 'NP’s original wording' was that, when asked why DB wasn't playing, he replied along the lines that DB was not playing at the best of his form and MO'L was showing well in training.

My take on NP's comment that DB 'knows the rules' was simply that, should a player show a lack of form/application and someone else appear to be in better form, then said player can expect to lose his place, captain or not; i.e. just because you are captain doesn't mean you can't be dropped should you lose form.

To take 'the rules' thing a stage further, NP has stated on more than one occasion that the player who has inherited the place can expect to keep it, provided he maintains the form that earned him the chance in the first place.    

Them's the rules, and DB knows them - and so he should do, as captain.

I neither heard nor read anything in NP's comments to suggest that DB had been dropped because he 'broke' any rules, and I must certainly did not infer that DB had been 'disciplined' in any way - some scurrilous posters were even suggesting that DB had returned from the Christmas break overweight or had even turned up for training under the influence! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My recollection from 'NP’s original wording' was that, when asked why DB wasn't playing, he replied along the lines that DB was not playing at the best of his form and MO'L was showing well in training.

My take on NP's comment that DB 'knows the rules' was simply that, should a player show a lack of form/application and someone else appear to be in better form, then said player can expect to lose his place, captain or not; i.e. just because you are captain doesn't mean you can't be dropped should you lose form.

To take 'the rules' thing a stage further, NP has stated on more than one occasion that the player who has inherited the place can expect to keep it, provided he maintains the form that earned him the chance in the first place.    

Them's the rules, and DB knows them - and so he should do, as captain.

I neither heard nor read anything in NP's comments to suggest that DB had been dropped because he 'broke' any rules, and I must certainly did not infer that DB had been 'disciplined' in any way - some scurrilous posters were even suggesting that DB had returned from the Christmas break overweight or had even turned up for training under the influence! 

I think some of this misinterpretation comes from me jumping the gun on a tweet from Gregor about the rules without the full context of the rest of the comments.

So I don’t believe he broke any rules, just fell foul of the rules of Nige’s selection policy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Both very good keepers, both have plus and minus points

Both deserve to start,

Max for me currently as he's earned a chance,

It's nice to have two quality keepers at this level

That's the sort of balanced and reasoned thinking that has NO PLACE on this forum!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Max for me, always thought Bents is not trusted by the defenders, Max’s current problem is low quality in defence. 
Fulham result was not down to Max

The defense isn't the problem and has never been the problem,

The problem is midfield, the lack of battlers and ball winners further forward, that and our failure to cut out crosses, which stems back to johnson, and his stand off approach to defending rather then trying to win the ball,

It's changing but prob another 12 months for the coaching methods to stick