IGNORED

“This town ain’t big enough for the both of us…”

Silvio Dante

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Great away win for Yate today at league leaders Farnborough. Certainly grinding out results. 

The recent game against Weston was very entertaining and a little bit fiesty.

How Weston's LB never got sent off I'll never know.

Love the banter you get between managers, players and fans at this level. 

Yate will also be hosting a BCFC legends team again Man Utd legends in July.

Whether it's Leg ends or Legends that play will be questionable.

Anyone else got into following their local team more recently?

I've been on and off over the years depending on circumstances.

It was pretty much an assault by Weston’s LB! Thought on that game a 1-1 draw was just about fair, Yate started superbly. Weston’s keeper kept them in it for me, but then the second half was a bit of a damp squib.

Fantastic result today. Yate are small at this level and Paul Michaels done a fantastic job. Been down about 5 times this season and will no doubt add by season end.

• Like 1

To update as Truro City were mentioned on this thread the chap who bought them ?two years ago is retiring from sports ownership.

Dicky Evans is the long term owner of the Cornish Pirates rugby team, over twenty years, and has said that he will step down in three years and has capped his funding in that time at £2.5m.

Truro City barely rates a mention but he's pulling out of those as well but presumably without a similar financial guarantee.

And as Dicky was providing, through those teams, two thirds of the private funding for the unstarted "Stadium for Cornwall" then that will have gone for a Burton as well. Mind it was planned in a stupid location where the traffic is already a nightmare.

Which leaves Truro City ownerless, groundless, potless and playing home games in Devon at Plymouth Parkway's ground.

I think the club will revert to what it was before Kevin Heaney bought what wasn't even one of the top amateur football teams in Cornwall and funded a huge rise through the leagues by secretly selling the ground to a developer.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/dicky-evans-end-funding-cornish-6807815

• Sad 1

On 20/01/2022 at 08:10, Silvio Dante said:

…but what about a third?

I’ve posted here before about Yate Town -  pretty much smallest club in their league at level 7, and last night won their 4th game on the bounce to hit the playoffs. Weston Super Mare are one place behind, and the game at Lodge Road in two weeks looks set to be a cracker.

Anyhow, it got me thinking. Yate are punching above their weight now, and although there are plans to improve the infrastructure, getting anywhere higher than Conference South seems optimistic - unless there was a Salford style takeover.

So, if there was something of that nature to Yate, Weston or another club in our catchment area, could the Bristol area sustain a third league club, and where? I’d assume attendances of 2k-5k tops and the question becomes if that’s new fans or taken from us/Rovers. Would it impact? Is it sustainable?

It would, however, be a fantastic laugh to see Yate beat Rovers in a League 2 or Conference match!

To be honest I wouldn't fancy playing Rovers at the moment.

Treating this now as a thread on this league …

I see that Yate have dropped to eighth, Weston remain in the play offs, but Taunton have continued their surge up the table.

Tonight they play a game in hand, where a win would put them three points clear in first, with two games to go.

The automatic promotion place still looks open to four teams though, ie Hayes, Taunton, Farnborough and Met Police.

Just now, Leveller said:

Treating this now as a thread on this league …

I see that Yate have dropped to eighth, Weston remain in the play offs, but Taunton have continued their surge up the table.

Tonight they play a game in hand, where a win would put them three points clear in first, with two games to go.

The automatic promotion place still looks open to four teams though, ie Hayes, Taunton, Farnborough and Met Police.

Some very bad results for Yate lately especially at home. As an example, somehow managed to lose to 10 men lower midtable Tiverton who had Craig Woodman of all people sent off in about the 20th minute.

Still in with a shout of the play offs though with some games in hand still

28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Some very bad results for Yate lately especially at home. As an example, somehow managed to lose to 10 men lower midtable Tiverton who had Craig Woodman of all people sent off in about the 20th minute.

Still in with a shout of the play offs though with some games in hand still

But they are tonight’s opponents at Taunton  - so that’s a tough one.

Yeah, Yate have had some awful results recently - 3-0 defeat at home to Swindon Supermarine sticks out, and the current fixtures haven’t been kind as postponements are made up - Hayes and Yeading (top) away on Saturday was a 4-0 defeat after being 1 down with 5 minutes left (and several players missing), and 2nd placed Taunton tonight.

Unlikely they’ll make it but still a great season. Garnished by a fantastic own goal against Walton Casuals last Tuesday…

(Skip to 1:19)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah, Yate have had some awful results recently - 3-0 defeat at home to Swindon Supermarine sticks out, and the current fixtures haven’t been kind as postponements are made up - Hayes and Yeading (top) away on Saturday was a 4-0 defeat after being 1 down with 5 minutes left (and several players missing), and 2nd placed Taunton tonight.

Unlikely they’ll make it but still a great season. Garnished by a fantastic own goal against Walton Casuals last Tuesday…

(Skip to 1:19)

That truly is a corker of an OG!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Fair play...enjoy. Hopefully more corner flag celebrations tonight. 

Don't know whether you know about the Man Utd game friendly? Wes Brown is ' managing' them.

Yeah did see that. I think he’s the biggest name involved - Gillespie, Beardsmore, Lee Martin as opposed to Beckham, Neville and Scholes. Still worth a watch though

Just got back from Taunton's win against Yate this evening in front of a crowd of 1,068. 

The Peacocks are on the verge of promotion to National League South (step 2) for the first time in their history. 

As fate would have it, their next game is at bitter rivals Tiverton Town this Bank Holiday Monday, where they can all but seal promotion with a win. 

Always been a feisty fixture and I'd expect at least 500 Taunton will travel down for the game. 

Will be good for the region if Taunton get promoted as National League South is very South East centric. 

Good to bump into a few City tonight who were supporting Taunton too !

• Like 8

Glad somebody went - we’ve actually been discussing this league in the other thread “This town ain’t big enough for the both of us”.

Taunton’s my local team though I can’t claim to be a supporter. Their recent run has been pretty phenomenal.

It was a pretty good game wasn't it, plenty happening all the time and Taunton look high on confidence. I've certainly enjoyed watching Taunton more this season than City.

Anyone know if there is a ground standard for stepping up to that level? I'm not sure when you have to have segregation or changing rooms in anything but the corner of the ground that everyone enters and leaves from.

• Like 1

Was told by someone who seemed to be in the know that Taunton only have to install another turnstile at the other end of the side stand to qualify for the division above. The game last night was delayed 15 mins due to the size of the crowd coming through the two turnstiles.

• Like 1

Thats great news.

I've been watch Dulwich Hamlet in the conference south a few times this season and I've been surprised at how high the standard is now at the level.

A few names you might recognise in their squad, James Dayton (ex Palace), Michael Timlin (ex Swindon) and Bristol City LEGEND Andre Blackman.

Edited by DaveF

9 hours ago, Leveller said:

Glad somebody went - we’ve actually been discussing this league in the other thread “This town ain’t big enough for the both of us”.

Taunton’s my local team though I can’t claim to be a supporter. Their recent run has been pretty phenomenal.

Yep same. City will always be first for me but I’ve been to a few taunton games and went last night! And may knock derby on the head of taunton v farnborough is a title decider 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just got back from Taunton's win against Yate this evening in front of a crowd of 1,068. 

The Peacocks are on the verge of promotion to National League South (step 2) for the first time in their history. 

As fate would have it, their next game is at bitter rivals Tiverton Town this Bank Holiday Monday, where they can all but seal promotion with a win. 

Always been a feisty fixture and I'd expect at least 500 Taunton will travel down for the game. 

Will be good for the region if Taunton get promoted as National League South is very South East centric. 

Good to bump into a few City tonight who were supporting Taunton too !

Came on to start a thread, you beat me to it haha

• Like 1