IGNORED

Nige Press Conference

GrahamC

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Sandhurst?

Red?

You not Richard Gould are you? ???

Great post btw.

I think he’s had his boots up the backside, last season, and earlier this season.  What I did like was that Nige was petulant when recognising he played decently against Stoke.  For me that says “has ability, has the wrong attitude”.  And that’s not enough.

And get some fans moan that players “steal a wage”.  Not a phrase I like per se, but we’ve been calling out for a while to have a strong character as manager.

With rumours of other clubs interested (Blackpool, Hull), I would imagine any fee is a bit better than nominal, albeit not large either.  My guess fwiw is £350k (what we paid for him allegedly).  I hope he does ok at Ipswich because it makes him more attractive to bids in the summer.  Not too well though ???

According to sum, Nige treats the press conferences with contempt…not if you get him going eh @redsquirrel ???

cant wait to see him again Dave,going to offer him a costa this time as ive a few more questions to ask without holding up people at the checkout,plus he said hed sign a jacket for me,its been in the car since august waiting. he did let me out in traffic last week when i was trying to get out after work,closest ive come since last time

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

With rumours of other clubs interested (Blackpool, Hull), I would imagine any fee is a bit better than nominal, albeit not large either.  My guess fwiw is £350k (what we paid for him allegedly).  I hope he does ok at Ipswich because it makes him more attractive to bids in the summer.  Not too well though ???

Lazy phrasing on my part. I was thinking of up to 250K, which obviously isn't nominal. Roughly a year's salary (?), so not really much of a consideration if you can afford to offer a 3 or 3+1 deal. Plus he should have some resell value.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

cant wait to see him again Dave,going to offer him a costa this time as ive a few more questions to ask without holding up people at the checkout,plus he said hed sign a jacket for me,its been in the car since august waiting. he did let me out in traffic last week when i was trying to get out after work,closest ive come since last time

Stalker ???

25 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

What happens though if Ipswich decide at the end of the season they don’t want him?

Do we run the risk of having a player on the payroll who will never play for us again and struggle to get rid of elsewhere

Then he comes back, and we look to move him on elsewhere, I guess.  I don’t see any option to keep him here.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

What happens though if Ipswich decide at the end of the season they don’t want him?

Do we run the risk of having a player on the payroll who will never play for us again and struggle to get rid of elsewhere

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Stalker ???

Then he comes back, and we look to move him on elsewhere, I guess.  I don’t see any option to keep him here.

Well he won't get a squad number, let alone a game so long as Nige is still here from the sounds of it!!

Great press conference, refreshing to hear that in this day and age. Others take note, buck up or the the world finds out what a shit you are around the club!

• Like 3

Another comment about Pearson...I've noticed he always seems to have his finger on the pulse regards what fans are thinking. Several times he has correctly alluded to what the fans think. On this occasion he states that fans might feel that striker is the priority, which perhaps is an obvious one, but I've noted this a few times. I genuinely think that Pearson makes an effort to know what fans are talking about. Maybe he asks a member of staff to check this forum? Or he makes sure someone keeps their finger on the pulse around the ground ?‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Good interview, again. Nige is getting warmed up in this job it seems. Bakinsonn no shock, pre season he was already looking at a Nige boot up the rear. Nice player but lacks the physical side of his game, and we need that if we are going to compete. I had him on my summer leavers list anyway. Just look at the difference with Antoine, Scott, Benarous, HNM etc. Great we are getting rid of the non team players. 

I watched Hull on Tuesday night v Blackburn and the intensity of their play and midfield in particular was very high. Tyreeq wouldn’t cope in that game type, which is a bit surprising they were one of the teams interested in him.

• Like 1

Fascinating press conference, especially the Bakinson situation. NP was very forthright and damning of him. It sounds to me like some sort of incident has been the catalyst for his departure, and if the move falls through there is no way back for him.

I enjoyed what Nige said about Alex Scott as well, which confirm what we’ve all seen about how mature he is on the pitch. 

Glad to hear Joe Williams is back in contention, we could really do with him staying fit for an extended run. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

This is why Pearson is the right person for the job and patience needs to be shown.

Attitude in football and dressing room culture is vital to a happy team, that is then a successful one.

This mess started with Ashton and Johnson - arguably some forced on them, due to players we sold and cashed in on, but ultimately, the process of checking the players coming in was not good enough and did not look beyond their natural and potential ability. Holden walked into a ticking time bomb, with a squad of unfit, unhappy players with a few who were causing issues behind the scenes.

Nige has come in - taken stock, and is slowly but surely getting rid of them, to enable the culture required to come back. Players have to do it his way, or no way.

When players like Kasper Schmeichel or Matty James speak so highly of him, it is for a reason, however some of our players don't like the harsh realities being served to them behind closed doors.

To his credit, Pearson always said it was a 3 year plan to convert and we are nearing the end of year 1. I've no doubt following a summer overhaul, we'll see a big difference in the next 12 months.

Today is a good day for this club, and his honesty should be a further warning to those players who think they can do as they wish. 

This is really well written. And exactly what some still need to understand. ?? ?? ?? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Would anyone let to take a stab at guessing the pre agreed fee for Perm deal??

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Somewhere between £250-500k is my guess.  Probably some add-ons, e.g. sell-on.

Yeah won't be high, as firstly he has no future here, so it would be stupid to demand a high amount. Secondly, realistically he is going to reach a ceiling of league 1 player, maybe lower champ if the attitude changes. Failing that he will just drop, and keep dropping.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it was less than £100k with add ons

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Taz said:

Yeah won't be high, as firstly he has no future here, so it would be stupid to demand a high amount. Secondly, realistically he is going to reach a ceiling of league 1 player, maybe lower champ if the attitude changes. Failing that he will just drop, and keep dropping.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it was less than £100k with add ons

You forgot to add MAT….….Mark Ashton Tax!

• Haha 1

Appreciate NPs honesty and forthrightness, it’s refreshing after years of hogwash and management speak. 

I’ve said elsewhere though, this kind of stuff will make or break his tenure here.

I see the long term plan - and long term - I think he’s the man.

I wonder if events outside and inside his control will Undermine all that.

He’s trying to build his “perfect” squad, people who buy in to his philosophy and that’s great. But, I’m not sure he has time (or money) on his side.  

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@billywedlock the only player that might’ve done the same as Semenyo is possibly Agostino, he had that power , but I didn’t go to many games in that era, so u sure whether he did.

Thought it had a hint of, I still get the night terrors, Steve Bull bearing down on the South Bank before completely his 83rd consecutive hattrick against us. 

Edited by The Swan and Cemetery
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/01/2022 at 00:47, Davefevs said:

I watched Hull on Tuesday night v Blackburn and the intensity of their play and midfield in particular was very high. Tyreeq wouldn’t cope in that game type, which is a bit surprising they were one of the teams interested in him.

I watched it too but don`t think that game was a `typical` Hull performance. They had just announced new owners that day and there seemed to be a real buzz around the place that transmitted itself to the players and upped their tempo. Even with that, Blackburn had more than enough chances to win the game.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@billywedlock the only player that might’ve done the same as Semenyo is possibly Agostino, he had that power , but I didn’t go to many games in that era, so u sure whether he did.

Not really Ago's game, maybe Akinbiyi would score that kind of goal? I still think one of the strongest runners on the ball was Dele Adebola, although nowhere near the pace that Antoine possesses.

• Robin 1

30 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Ago was a good player, but he never had that pace. Antoine could become a player similar to Zaha , and IMHO a better player that Eze. Palace will be all over him. 

Not sure about that. Very different styles imo. Semenyo isn’t as technical as either Zaha or Eze. His strengths are his natural athleticism and raw pace - that’s not a criticism necessarily, he’s just a different style to the two you mentioned. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Lita potentially when he first broke through. 

That second Semenyo goal is one of my favourite city goals for ages.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Disagree on the technical. Oh and Palace ARE all over him ......

Ok, didn’t say they weren’t.

I just think your comparison is pretty far off as you’ve named two exceptionally technical players - Semenyo isn’t a player I’d describe as that technical, on a consistent basis anyway. 

If he can reach the level of Eze then we have some player.

• Like 1