IGNORED

Bristol City v Cardiff City at home match day thread

Early kick off = early posting of this.

At 1230 tomorrow its the Severnside derby, with just 44 miles between Bristol and Cardiff this fixture always has a bit of extra importance to both sets of fans. As well as traditional local rivalry, it is different in that it also crosses the Wales-England border, increasing somewhat the hostility between the two teams/sets of fans. As well as bragging rights the matches are seen as an "international".

We’ve played each other 87 times in the league with us winning 36, them 32 and there have been 19 draws. Here are some of the best moments: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/watch-severnside-derby-classics/ and here is a throw back to 1989: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-flashback-cardiff-couldnt-6524563

It’s on the red button.

Players who in recent times have played for both clubs include Reid (who moved  for a fee reported to be £10m), Pack, Flint and Tomlin.

Be a great day to record our first double of the season. We won at their place  thanks to a Chris Martin goal, inside the first two minutes, here are the highlights: https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/12309/12123663/cardiff-city-vs-bristol-city-preview-championship-clash-live-on-sky-sports-football

Cardiff occupy 20th place and have 23 points. They can be dangerous from set pieces and the aerial threat of Moore if he feature (he is reported as looking unlikely to be fit until the back end of this month.The striker had a scan on an ankle injury he sustained against Bournemouth and looks set to miss a decent chunk of January) and Flint will need to be dealt with.

They have sold out their allocation of 2,700 tickets and our biggest home crowd of the season is expected - as usual it will be a very lively afternoon!

Last weekend they lost against Blackburn and boss Steve Morison opted to select new signing Cody Drameh following his loan signing from Leeds United while Ryan Wintle also made a first start for the club after being recalled from a loan at Blackpool.  After the defeat Morison said ‘We weren't good enough in the final third. We dominated the game but couldn't put the ball in the net. It is another game we should have got something out of, but that's where we are at the minute. We went toe-to-toe with Blackburn, but they had that moment of quality which we didn't have.The boys need help. We need to be better in the final third. Like I said to the players in there, Don't make me go and get someone for the final third from elsewhere.’ Max Watters has been recalled from his loan spell at MK Dons and the 22 year old striker may feature today.

They have secured a loan deal for Manchester City youngster Tommy Doyle. The 20-year-old midfielder has been on loan at Bundesliga Two outfit SV Hamburg so far this season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60003984

It’s possible that Joe Williams will be in our squad while Matty James is unlikely to be.

Their recent form is: WLDLDL so five points from the last 18 available, whereas we have seven points from our last six games.

Their current manager, Steve Morison, was appointed as the lead coach of their under-23 team in February 2020, joining up with the then Cardiff manager Neil Harris, who he played alongside and was managed by at Millwall. Following the sacking of Mick McCarthy in October 2021, Morison was placed in temporary charge of the first-team. Morison's first match in temporary charge was a 3–3 draw away at Stoke with his side having been 3–0 down with just 25 minutes remaining, the draw ended Cardiff's club-record run of eight defeats in a row. Morison's third match in charge got Cardiff a first win in ten matches. Morison was appointed First Team Manager on a deal until the end of this season with the owner stating that he had been impressed by the more attacking brand of football on display in Morison's three matches in charge.

When in 2004 Morison played part-time football with Bishop's Stortford, he worked for a shredding company, "getting up at four in the morning shredding paper around London". Morison has always had an interest in greyhound racing and in January 2013, he set up a greyhound racing syndicate alongside his former strike partner at Norwich City, Grant Holt.

Yesterday NP was pretty frank when discussing TB and his counterpart tomorrow admits he might be "too honest" when he talks about his players. Morison has been critical of Cardiff's attackers during their five-match winless run in the Championship. He was also criticised for describing youngster Isaak Davies as "a hindrance" after last month's loss at Bournemouth.

In a week when it’s been reported that City have been awarded a penalty every 1,834 minutes. That's every 30.5 hours of football or averaging just over every 20 matches to put it into perspective. A remarkable statistic which covers the biggest 31 leagues in Europe, over 600 teams in total, the analysis reveals that the Robins are rock-bottom regards the frequency of penalties awarded. So we can be sure that we will get a penalty today. I reckon Flint will upend Scott in the 86th minute and  Martin’s spot kicked will be saved but he will follow up to make it 1-0, that’s how the football Gods work isn’t it?

Cardiff curiosities

• Their forums opening MDT is brief! It simple says: Saturday January 22nd, ko 12:30pm. Live on Sky Sports Red Button.. Cardiff have sold their allocation of tickets. Match Officials Referee: Gavin Ward Assistants: Graham Kane and Bhupinder Gill Fourth Official : James Linington.
  • Cardiff is one of the smallest capitals in Europe. It was granted city status in 1905, but it wasn't until 1955 when it was decided that the city be named the capital of Wales. This makes Cardiff not only one of the smallest capitals in Europe but also one of the newest.
  • Cardiff has over 1,000 listed buildings.
  • Famous children’s writer Roald Dahl was not only born in Cardiff, he grew up in Llandaff. He was christened in the little Norwegian church in Cardiff Bay.
  • Cardiff is one of Britain’s flattest cities, hence why a lot of people cycle to work there!
  • Cardiff is home to the world’s oldest record store, Spillers, which opened in 1894. The store even used to sell wax cylinders for the newly invented phonograph!
  • Cardiff is also known as the City of Arcades. It has the largest concentration of Victorian, Edwardian and modern-day indoor shopping arcades in Britain.
  • There are loads of hidden tunnels underneath the city centre! There are rumours that the treasure of Ifor Bach, a former owner of a castle on the same site as Castell Coch, is reputedly hidden in a tunnel which leads to Cardiff Castle.
  • The world’s first £1 million deal was reckoned to have been struck at Cardiff’s Coal Exchange.
  • The Principality Stadium is the second-largest stadium in the world with a fully retractable roof.
  • Famous fans include: Guto Pryce (Super Furry Animals), Neil Kinnock and  Gareth Thomas and in their lifetime Roald Dahl and Stuart Cable (stereophonics).

I have resisted any temptation to reference the topic of this ditty

COYR let’s win with a good performance and for a real change…. by a comfortable margin. Which would totally rubbish my 86th minute penalty winner fantasy!

B3257B89-541F-4194-AA45-DC82BEC2E79F.jpeg

40C2A963-95EA-41A0-B7BE-E93861DC193E.jpeg

DD863406-97F3-4A05-A1D0-3F8D09E52F8E.jpeg

D62811C5-4DB4-4D33-BB6B-E1B6BB219689.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Excited about tomorrow. Our upturn in excitement levels against a team who are at least as poor as we can be. 

Plus, Not being allowed to leave the house ? this is somewhat a pinnacle of excitement!

Same for us, infected so can't go.

Is it on Sky Sports red button anyone know ?

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Might not sleep with excitement at the thought of Semenyo dragging Flint all over the shop

Antoine's confidence is sky high, so 100% this is going to happen. Hopefully Atkinson is recalled and we have enough aerial presence to restrict Cardiff's chances.

Certainly looking forward to see how this goes, provided we win of course :)

34 minutes ago, dereks no1 said:

Im out the country for this one but nevertheless am very excited. How do people recommend I watch the game? Don't think its on Robins TV and I've read that sky are only showing the Derby game. Is this true? 

Any help much appreciated.

It is on Robins TV in UK and overseas. (It’s also on Sky red button but not sure if that works abroad.)

1 hour ago, dereks no1 said:

Im out the country for this one but nevertheless am very excited. How do people recommend I watch the game? Don't think its on Robins TV and I've read that sky are only showing the Derby game. Is this true? 

Any help much appreciated.

It will be available on Robins TV for an oversea viewer as it will pick up your internet is from wherever you are, so when you go into Robins TV, the option to buy the game pass for this one game should be available. I think it's a tenner.

45 years ago on the 22nd January as a Twelve year old I walked into Ashton Gate for the first time. There's been plenty of ups and downs since then but have some great memories of time spent with friends up and down the country ( and Europe). Will be at the Gate against Cardiff now with my youngest Son still hopeful and optimistic as ever. Wonder if I'll ever get to see us playing in the top flight against Arsenal again though......

20220121_193905b.jpg.bfb9fe10eb5b1c7b19b423422963004c.jpg

• Like 10
10 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Cant help but think of consequences tomorrow. We kick off at 12.30, The Gas kick off in Swindon at 13:00. What are the odds of Cardiffs mob arriving at Temple Meads at about the same time as The Gas.....this could get scary

Still can’t believe that the police have allowed this to happen - words fail me ?‍♂️

10 minutes ago, RedReynard said:

45 years ago on the 22nd January as a Twelve year old I walked into Ashton Gate for the first time. There's been plenty of ups and downs since then but have some great memories of time spent with friends up and down the country ( and Europe). Will be at the Gate against Cardiff now with my youngest Son still hopeful and optimistic as ever. Wonder if I'll ever get to see us playing in the top flight against Arsenal again though......

20220121_193905b.jpg.bfb9fe10eb5b1c7b19b423422963004c.jpg

Not just playing Arsenal in the top flight but doing the double over them that day.

Chance of another double tomorrow, that would be nice.

• Like 2