IGNORED

Timm Klose - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Davefevs

19 minutes ago, riddlesdown red said:

Song for Klose,

Living in london since 1982 my youngest child chose Arsenal over City. Taking him to watch Arsenal they had a song for Mertesacker which went

We got a big **cking german big **cking German we got a big **cking german.

Always made me laugh, we can adopt this for klose.

We COULD do, given he’s Swiss he might hate it though ?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, riddlesdown red said:

Song for Klose,

Living in london since 1982 my youngest child chose Arsenal over City. Taking him to watch Arsenal they had a song for Mertesacker which went

We got a big **cking german big **cking German we got a big **cking german.

Always made me laugh, we can adopt this for klose.

It’s at times like this I really regret blocking Robbored. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’m sure our new friends in Suffolk are absolutely delighted that we’ve signed him.

Still crying over his 95th minute equaliser against them from 2018..

I thought he spoke well, excellent English as you would expect & our first ever Swiss player, I think.

We have a lot of Young Boys playing though.....

• Like 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Given his lack of games, let’s hope he is ready to hit the ground running and it isn’t one of these that we are hearing about lack of fitness being an issue when March comes around 

Not played in over six months? 

He's going to be weeks away from being ready, which makes his interview interesting about playing for us as he likes where we are heading.... I can only assume something long-term has been dangled 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’s been training with FC Basel all season, so that’s encouraging.  Obviously not played games though.

Pretty sure Gregor picked that up from a WhatsApp group, eh @petehinton?

I said it had to be bollocks, because you can’t do a 2 year deal in January, it can only be 6, 18, 30, etc deals.  

Haha, no….but 2+2 did indeed equal 4 from what I heard earlier.  I actually did my charts before I heard that, but I had a feeling it would happen.

You are Pam Gregory and I claim my £5

9 hours ago, phantom said:

Not played in over six months? 

He's going to be weeks away from being ready, which makes his interview interesting about playing for us as he likes where we are heading.... I can only assume something long-term has been dangled 

Not sure that’s the case.

He said he’s been training with Basel & as he was a free agent there was no need for us to make a decision this quickly if we felt he couldn’t contribute relatively soon.

I do expect the deal until the end of the season is done on the basis that if he makes a certain number of appearances in the squad it is automatically extended.

As a very experienced CB it is going to be the case that he knows his game & his limitations, so I don’t expect him to play 90 minutes immediately but won’t be amazed if he’s on the bench either tomorrow or by next weekend.

3 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Multiple musical notes
Timmmmmmmmmmm Klose
Move you body real close
Until he-ee-ee
Comes down to smash you from above

Got to say, if that was sang at a game, I’d wet myself….quite like the idea of a song like this becoming a football chant.  I do get bored by the same tunes with just a player’s  name inserted.  Need a bit of originality.  Who’d have thought Phyllis Nelson would be heard ringing around AG.

I love the last line too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Got to say, if that was sang at a game, I’d wet myself….quite like the idea of a song like this becoming a football chant.  I do get bored by the same tunes with just a player’s  name inserted.  Need a bit of originality.  Who’d have thought Phyllis Nelson would be heard ringing around AG.

I love the last line too.

It won't though because it is on otib and somebody has decreed that nothing ever gets sung at Ashton Gate having been mentioned here first

I get why we're signing him, but I feel I've seen this somewhere before. He's 33, has not played all season and has had injuries. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

The limit of my expectation/hope is that he starts 6-8 games and helps us win 2, maybe 3 (if he starts 8).

Perhaps he'll win a header or two somewhere that prevents the sort of defending fiasco we saw on Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

I get why we're signing him, but I feel I've seen this somewhere before. He's 33, has not played all season and has had injuries. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

The limit of my expectation/hope is that he starts 6-8 games and helps us win 2, maybe 3 (if he starts 8).

Perhaps he'll win a header or two somewhere that prevents the sort of defending fiasco we saw on Tuesday.

If he does what you suggest above, I’d say that would be justification of his signing.

Importantly it saves us trying to recruit a player under contract now who will be OOC in the summer.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If he does what you suggest above, I’d say that would be justification of his signing.

Importantly it saves us trying to recruit a player under contract now who will be OOC in the summer.

I agree. That’s my rough benchmark for the deal being a pragmatic ‘success’, although the only thing that really matters is staying up. We should be ok but there is no room for complacency.
My concern watching on Tuesday is that most teams will just keep beating us if they have enough set-piece savvy and ammunition. I see Klose as an ultra pragmatic, just-in-case signing. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I agree. That’s my rough benchmark for the deal being a pragmatic ‘success’, although the only thing that really matters is staying up. We should be ok but there is no room for complacency.
My concern watching on Tuesday is that most teams will just keep beating us if they have enough set-piece savvy and ammunition. I see Klose as an ultra pragmatic, just-in-case signing. 

If his presence helps us achieve 3-4 clean sheets then that is very likely to be job done this season. Or, even where we don't keep a clean sheet and we are hanging onto a point or three, if he gets his head on that whipped in free kick that was landing straight on the opposition centre forward's bonce!! On that basis why wouldn't you take that "ultra pragmatic" approach? In fact had we not taken that approach imagine the uproar on here if we were to carry on letting in 2-3 goals per game without him?

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

Just now, Numero Uno said:

If his presence helps us achieve 3-4 clean sheets then that is very likely to be job done this season. Or, even where we don't keep a clean sheet and we are hanging onto a point or three, if he gets his head on that whipped in free kick that was landing straight on the opposition centre forward's bonce!! On that basis why wouldn't you take that "ultra pragmatic" approach? In fact had we not taken that approach imagine the uproar on here if we were to carry on letting in 203 goals per game without him?

The main reason is that word ‘if’. He hasn’t done what you suggest yet. And my concern is that he won’t for the reasons I outlined. 

Anyway, let’s see what happens. I’ve come to despair of this type of signing in general, but throw enough mud against the old lags wall and perhaps some will stick. Fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, firstdivision said:

The main reason is that word ‘if’. He hasn’t done what you suggest yet. And my concern is that he won’t for the reasons I outlined. 

Anyway, let’s see what happens. I’ve come to despair of this type of signing in general, but throw enough mud against the old lags wall and perhaps some will stick. Fingers crossed.

Oh yeah, no guarantees BUT had we passed on him and then carried on letting in the goals and losing games (which we could still do as you say) there would have been a lot of questions asked by the "hindsight merchants" that fill this board. Bear in mind, also, that the guy is 33 years of age not 63!! I wish I was an "old lag", a "pensioner" etc. I know that much.....................