IGNORED

Semenyo

Waconda

His strength and running power have given us a new dimension and we can actually play further up the pitch now as opposition defences are wary of his pace.

I think his finishing can improve over time but even without goals he offers so much.

The second half today was as exciting as i can remember at AG for a long time. We could, and probably should, have scored 2 or 3 more.

A special mention for Vyner, Kalas and Pring who handled Cardiff's physicality really well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

He needs to learn composure from the finishing of Martin and Weimann. He doesn’t need to try and break the net.

I was going to post exectly this. Just needs to calm down when though on goal and not try and break the net That said turning into a fantastic player and certainly brings a different dimension to our team at present. Pace and power - Well done Antoine keep it up, he been great since coming back into the side. He is an exciting talent.

He will learn from all these games. For example the run in the second half he took the ball to far to the right side of the goal (from his view). He will get to understand that if he had veered to his left, it leaves him a much better angle and chance of scoring. That subtle move got Chris Martin his second goal.

Better with him in the side than without. More dangerous too.

From his return to present he has started to offer some much needed end product ie goals and assists to go with his attributes and promise. 

Think the timing of his recall from Newport 3 years ago stalled his progress but fortunately we are now seeing some strong signs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Banjo Red said:

Confidence in own ability goes a long way too.

1 minute ago, Banjo Red said:

Confidence in own ability goes a long way too.

Agreed,although why he should lack confidence is beyond me,he’s got pace ,power and brilliant balance.

1 hour ago, richyy66 said:

not try and break the net

Worth listening to Gary Owers post-match summary on BBCRB…..said Semenyo almost snapped the post, and the earlier shot on the turn a,most broke the keepers hands.

Thing is he generates so much power without needing to blast it.

How many times have we seen an opposition striker bully us…now we have one.  It’s mint innit!

• Like 2

I, for one, ain’t getting carried away by Semenyo. But it’s really encouraging to see his development under NP in recent weeks.

You can see he’s oozing confidence at the moment and the longer he surfs that wave, the world is his oyster.

That strike that rattled the post in stoppage time would’ve been the icing on the cake.

5 hours ago, Super said:

He has talent but he needs to do it consistently and not over a few games. Hopefully he gets a good run till the end of the season. Talk of the Prem is a long way off for him.

Why so negative? NP obviously rates him, and there is still work to do but prem a long way off? 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Dredd said:

Agree he could/should have had a couple today but even the two he had that hit the post and the side netting seemed far more controlled than the pot shots he was taking 6 months ago. Also played AW in for the third when maybe previously he may have tried to get a shot off himself.  I think this could be lift off for his career. 

I hope so - I think we’ve got a really special player on our hands potentially. He’s going to be really exciting when it all clicks and it’s so close to happening.

A lot of praise for Semenyo coming of age here and rightly so, not so many (unless I have missed it) mentioning that it is probably to do with NP coaching him and managing him in a way that no-one else has.

Once we have cleaned house, we can be very excited that players with potential become better under a top pedigree coach.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just done some quick maths:

Semenyo injured: P20 GF 21

Semenyo playing: P7 GF 14

Could be coincidence, probably isn’t. 

Geek!

3 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

A lot of praise for Semenyo coming of age here and rightly so, not so many (unless I have missed it) mentioning that it is probably to do with NP coaching him and managing him in a way that no-one else has.

Once we have cleaned house, we can be very excited that players with potential become better under a top pedigree coach.

And playing him centrally too ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

It might just be coincidence that Semenyo has matured both physically and mentally around the same time that Nige arrived. AS was gradually being introduced to the first team squad my LJ and the few cameos he got he tended to rush and almost try too hard to make an impression - lots of fans didn’t rate him.

However, there’s no doubt the potential was there and this season he’s now starting regularly and bagging a goal or two. His confidence is sky high and again today he was scaring the Cardiff defence with his pace and power and hit the post twice.

If he can stay fit I can see him reaching double figures comfortably.

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

Why so negative? NP obviously rates him, and there is still work to do but prem a long way off? 

What's negative? He has had a handful of good games unless I missed them. He needs to do it over a far longer period.

20 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Just done some quick maths:

Semenyo injured: P20 GF 21

Semenyo playing: P7 GF 14

Could be coincidence, probably isn’t. 

More stats;

I think he's had six 90 minute games since coming back into the team and provided 3 goals and 4 assists.

So, directly involved with 7 goals in six games.

I don't think your stats are a coincidence at all.

• Like 2

Can’t disagree with anything anyone is saying about Semenyo - a young Lukaku in my eyes -  and agree that in the second half he totally destroyed Flint!

Does anyone know how long his current contract runs for - as we need to make sure we have him well and truly tied to us unless we want to sell!

2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Can’t disagree with anything anyone is saying about Semenyo - a young Lukaku in my eyes -  and agree that in the second half he totally destroyed Flint!

Does anyone know how long his current contract runs for - as we need to make sure we have him well and truly tied to us unless we want to sell!

Expires in summer next year, but we have a 12 month option.