IGNORED

Louis Britton

GrahamC

22 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Good post, however dont agree with the cutting costs on youth development nor 'Little Chelsea' comment 

Youth stuff isn't FFP related and we're currently massively reaping the benefits of that. Im glad there's pathways to the first team but releasing seemingly willy-nilly will come back and bite us at some point. 

Jojo Wollacott for example, could blossom and is getting national press. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/08/from-gloucester-to-ghana-how-jojo-wollacotts-dream-became-a-reality

I think it is a two way thing though. Wollacott has blossomed because he left. Had he stayed, I’m not sure he would or should have dislodged Bentley or O’Leary and arguably we’d have been holding him back. Ditto I gather Nurse is doing well in League One but that could be seen as an argument that we have done the right thing in letting a player who was not at Championship level build a career elsewhere rather than stagnate at a key time.

Likewise with Britton. He’s behind Semenyo, Janneh, Conway and Bell and it may be there are other younger prospects that the coaches think are only a couple of years away too.

I’d be sad to see Britton go but the fact Derry City are after him rather than a Championship or League One club suggests he has some work to do before he gets to Championship level, if indeed he ever does so. I think we hoarded players a bit in the past and I think Morrell is an example of someone we held onto without playing him to a point where it was detrimental to his career. James Morton seems to have stagnated too.

Not every player will make it here. If Britton, Wollacott or Nurse get moved on, get a chance they would not have got here, take that chance and build out a career in the game, I don’t see that as a failure of our youth policy but more an example of what an ethical youth policy should look like.

• Like 10
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

26 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Good post, however dont agree with the cutting costs on youth development nor 'Little Chelsea' comment 

Youth stuff isn't FFP related and we're currently massively reaping the benefits of that. Im glad there's pathways to the first team but releasing seemingly willy-nilly will come back and bite us at some point. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/08/from-gloucester-to-ghana-how-jojo-wollacotts-dream-became-a-reality

Nobody is suggesting cutting costs on youth development. In fact we should spend more on the development of OUR youth. It’s the steady stream of punts that we have taken as a club, Bakinson, Hines, Engvall and zillions of others that is finished. FFP determines that has to be the case.

However, even if you develop your own you have to make a decision on all of them at some point. You can’t keep them for ever. Wollacott, your example, was 24/25 and had been here 15 years and was nowhere near a first team spot so for HIS benefit we had to let him make a career elsewhere. He might end up being top notch but having watched him last week he certainly looked like a League 2 keeper thrust into AFCON.

Championship football is way above the level that 99% of 18 year old Academy lads can play at. You do have to be careful otherwise you can finish lads before they’ve even started.

• Like 2

Oh goody another long thread, which I haven't read any of, on another academy talent who looks like they are leaving.

Needless to say there are loads of Premier League and Championship clubs desperate to sign them up, none of whom will.

How many academy players, whom City dropped, are currently plying their trade in The Premier League, The Championship, League 1, League 2, National League?  How many will move up a league with their next move?

It's the same story every time. 

Edited by Hxj
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Agree we absolutely should be investing in youth and the academy, but think it could be improved by being a bit leaner from 17 or so onwards. And it’s still costs, accepting that if we miss diamonds then that’s a net loss, but think there’s room to be a bit more focused than we have been. We’re at a decent level so the step from academy to U23 is big and think a few more of those lads following a different route probably better for them as well as City, too many discarded across football in recent years.

With science, including understanding of players’ potential improved, we should be able reduce false positives. Jojo Wollacott is fair challenge, but - recognising I’m probably rationalising to suit my argument - he was one that probably looked decent for a few years at City, so justified the investment, just couldn’t quite get past decent incumbents?

What this shows, imo, is that we have better quality at the football top now who are not afraid of making decisions they believe are right. Wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Nige really listens to Tinnion and only then sees for himself and comes to a final judgment.

We simply haven’t had a manager like this for a long time, arguably forever.

In NP do most of us trust

1 hour ago, sinenomine said:

How many players in the past have we released from our youth setup that have gone on to have careers that matches or betters our position at the time?

I believe the number is zero. I will always remember the noise made when Scott Brown was released as he tried so very hard. Went on to achieve nothing in the professional game 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The manager believes in Conway and has played him when he's been fit. Ditto Bell. Sam Pearson's not good enough.

So what's your point?

It's demonstrably obvious, noted by various posters with reasoned arguments more than once, that Britton isn't physically up to Championship standard. There's no doubting he has natural ability when it comes to putting the ball in the net but modern football requires supreme physical athleticism above all else which he hasn't got and is unlikely to develop no matter how "fit" he gets.

Semenyo is the exact opposite - superb physical attributes, poor technique. But his technique can be improved through hard work and good coaching - we've seen that already.

The areas Britton needs to work on cannot be so readily improved, if at all - it's down to DNA by and large - watch the video with Dave Rennie talking about the most important quality in modern top level football being explosive power. Semenyo has this in spades, Britton has the explosiveness of a tub of lard.

That's not to say he can't have a career - there will always be a need for players who can find the net as well as he can, just not at the level City are aspiring to. 

This is all pretty obvious stuff so I  can only assume the reason you're getting your knickers in a twist is you're his dad or something. 

We took a punt on a local lad with some ability. Like most punts it wasn't a winner. It hasn't cost us much so no harm done. Next. 

Il come back to you if he progresses funny how you can slate him and kick him in the bollox hope he dont come back to bite our ass.

21 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Il come back to you if he progresses funny how you can slate him and kick him in the bollox hope he dont come back to bite our ass.

I’m not sure he slated him to be honest. @Merrick's Marvels gave what I’d consider to be a fairly balanced appraisal based on what we know, and didn’t “kick him in the bollox”. The fact is that Pearson, Holden and three managers at conference level haven’t felt Louis has what it takes to improve them. Does that make him a shit footballer? No, he’s better than anyone who’s posting on this thread by far.

What it does say is that for, whatever reason, better qualified judges than you or me don’t think Louis’ undoubted goal scoring instincts outweigh what they consider his negative points.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone wishing him ill. He’s assessed as not good enough. It happens. But you’ve made no case as to why we will be proven wrong here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Spoilsport, I was having my tea…you’re too quick.

Marco, Merrick, Terry Lee, Gary Tibbs and yours truly!  Never knew Sir Geoff was a King of the wild frontier!

Louis has been sent to the “Naughty North” of Ireland rather than making it in the “Sexy South” west. Who knows it could be the making of him. Plus it’s clear that Nige “got the mouth”. 

• Haha 2

Let's be honest he could just be another  Shawn McCoulsky. Scored bags of goals for the under 23's but couldn't kick on at senior level. Hope I'm wrong for the lad and he forges his career in the game.

If our academy are okay to let him go, that's enough for me to accept especially considering the talent thats recently come through.

13 hours ago, sinenomine said:

How many players in the past have we released from our youth setup that have gone on to have careers that matches or betters our position at the time?

Just about make a case for Rolando Aarons but even if you did, he is very much the exception & his career has veered all over the place since & he’s still yet to settle down anywhere.

These sort of articles get written in the local press over the years, “Will City come to regret releasing (insert name)?”.
We almost certainly never hear from any of these players again.

12 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I believe the number is zero. I will always remember the noise made when Scott Brown was released as he tried so very hard. Went on to achieve nothing in the professional game 

Scott brown we swapped for Brian Wilson didn’t we? Then had a horrific double leg break later that season

I think Louis is just not going to fit the current regime. Was it only 6 months ago that we were bemoaning our static and easily out muscled line up? Suddenly we are looking sharper, livelier, pacier and stronger, and I am not just being blinkered by Antoine's emergence here. From what I have seen from Louis, he only has one of those attributes and we may have settled for that 6 months ago, but things are changing rapidly and he doesn't appear to be capable of adding the other requirements to his game.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Just about make a case for Rolando Aarons but even if you did, he is very much the exception & his career has veered all over the place since & he’s still yet to settle down anywhere.

These sort of articles get written in the local press over the years, “Will City come to regret releasing (insert name)?”.
We almost certainly never hear from any of these players again.

Herbie Kane being another good example "Lost him to Liverpool", but where is he now?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

States on Bristol live hes being released .

bristol Live report: Bristol City striker, Louis Britton is set to leave the club on a free transfer after a successful trial at Derry City. Britton scored in a pre-season friendly, with the game ending 1-1. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well, we have to trust Pearson's judgement, but I hope this won't be one we end up regretting.

I get the feeling if Pearson had been our manager in L1 days, he'd have got rid of JET. 

Think it is the case that NP sees more in Bell, Conway, Janneh etc. Those 3 are all in the same bracket as Britton and those are the one's the club have decided to develop moving forward.

It's good to see him doing well out there. That being said the standard is pretty low from the games I have seen out there, below league 2 level.  

I got thinking about players we have signed from the Irish leagues and how they have done.  Patrick Hoban for example, scored over 100 goals in around 200 appearances in league of Ireland and managed 7 in 75 in the English leagues.  

Andy Smith is another, I don't think he ever scored a goal in English football, all I can remember of him was that he ran around a lot.  

Like many others on this thread I trust the club when it comes to moving on these players as you very rarely hear of them again.  

• Like 1