IGNORED

Louis Britton

GrahamC

28 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Hes being released dont drink dint smoke obviously pearson has a problem with him the other young uns no better.

I'll humour you.......

Do you think that watching the kid train every day might give Pearson a better opinion of his current ability than you?

How come he never smashed it on loan at Woking if he is as good as you say he is? Were they picking on him too?

You don't think Scott and Benarous are better than Britton?

What problem does Pearson have with the lad? I'm asking because you state it is so obvious but I'm a bit dimp and can't see it.......

If West Brom and Wolves are watching him what is he doing on loan at some League of Ireland mob?

19 minutes ago, super slick said:

All this interest But he’s ended up on trial at Derry, after what seems like multiple failed loans to the conference/ conference south?

To be clear, I have nothing against the kid and hope he makes a very good career for himself, but this obsession that it’s a travesty he’s not getting a new contract is all a bit weird! 

Quite. I remember well when many fans insisted Frankie Artus was the next big thing and GJ was victimising him. Guess who was right?

As you say let's hope he has a good career to come. For all we know it might yet be with us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Could Pearson's 'problem' with him be that he isn't good enough? 

It would be strange for a Manager who, because of severe financial restrictions, seems ultra keen to give young un's a go IF THEY ARE UP TO IT to have a problem with this one kid. Apparently it's obvious to a number of fans who have only seen the kid play once at a proper level and never watched him train though.

Edited by Numero Uno

4 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Come on, he's under contract until 31/7/2022. He can't be released unless he's asked for a contract cancellation, which seems unlikely given that he only on trial at Derry. If Derry want him then the city contract might be cancelled early by mutual consent, or he might be loaned til the end of his city contract if his city wages are higher than the derry offer.

Exactly what I don’t understand. Although he may have been advised his contract is not likely to be renewed but who the hell knows..as someone says the LoI season is just starting, he needs a run of games, this might be the perfect move for him and let us not forget he scored yesterday. 

There might be a few on this thread writing him off a bit quick for completely the wrong reasons. Britton now goes into what is effectively a preseason, so we will see if they can get his fitness levels up and he can score some goals! Although this could be last chance saloon at City no doubt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly what I don’t understand. Although he may have been advised his contract is not likely to be renewed but who the hell knows..as someone says the LoI season is just starting, he needs a run of games, this might be the perfect move for him and let us not forget he scored yesterday. 

There might be a few on this thread writing him off a bit quick for completely the wrong reasons. Britton now goes into what is effectively a preseason, so we will see if they can get his fitness levels up and he can score some goals! Although this could be last chance saloon at City no doubt. 

Agree with last comment. If Pearson is being asked to “build” something then these are decisions that need to be made. Are these lads going to be good enough for what he needs or not? Same with Bakinson and anyone else. We are no longer a club that can stockpile clubs in the bag in the hope that a percentage of them will come good eventually, a luxury afforded to LJ. We don’t have those finances any more.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Hes being released dont drink dint smoke obviously pearson has a problem with him the other young uns no better.

Seems unfair that Britton doesn't drink and doesn't get a look in but Chris Martin loves a Thatcher's Gold and gets to start every match...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I'll humour you.......

Do you think that watching the kid train every day might give Pearson a better opinion of his current ability than you?

How come he never smashed it on loan at Woking if he is as good as you say he is? Were they picking on him too?

You don't think Scott and Benarous are better than Britton?

What problem does Pearson have with the lad? I'm asking because you state it is so obvious but I'm a bit dimp and can't see it.......

If West Brom and Wolves are watching him what is he doing on loan at some League of Ireland mob?

Not comparing with the likes of Scott and Benarous  I'm talking Pearson Bell and conway .

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Not comparing with the likes of Scott and Benarous  I'm talking Pearson Bell and conway .

Pearson is on loan, same as Britton and so was Bell so it seems to me the only player that Nige really thinks is close is Conway. I would have thought there will be footballing reasons for that rather than because he likes Conway and hates the others.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Pearson is on loan, same as Britton and so was Bell so it seems to me the only player that Nige really thinks is close is Conway. I would have thought there will be footballing reasons for that rather than because he likes Conway and hates the others.

States on Bristol live hes being released .

46 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree with last comment. If Pearson is being asked to “build” something then these are decisions that need to be made. Are these lads going to be good enough for what he needs or not? Same with Bakinson and anyone else. We are no longer a club that can stockpile clubs in the bag in the hope that a percentage of them will come good eventually, a luxury afforded to LJ. We don’t have those finances any more.

Exactly. The hope is we can keep Scott, Benny, Semenyo, Pring, (who is doing very well) etc and maybe Louis meets his burden of evidence for Pearso. But I’m not holding my breath that at least one of our kids will be off for big money freeing up space for another. 

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Let’s be honest, based on what we’ve seen with Nige, if he was good enough, he’d have been given a chance in the 1st team squad.

The fact he hasn’t, says all we need to know and that’s good enough for me ?

I agree certainly up until now But players develop that’s the point of the player development department. Last chance saloon as I said earlier for Britton but if the point is to give him a chance a preseason in Ireland is a good move. 

38 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

The manager believes in Conway and has played him when he's been fit. Ditto Bell. Sam Pearson's not good enough.

So what's your point?

It's demonstrably obvious, noted by various posters with reasoned arguments more than once, that Britton isn't physically up to Championship standard. There's no doubting he has natural ability when it comes to putting the ball in the net but modern football requires supreme physical athleticism above all else which he hasn't got and is unlikely to develop no matter how "fit" he gets.

Semenyo is the exact opposite - superb physical attributes, poor technique. But his technique can be improved through hard work and good coaching - we've seen that already.

The areas Britton needs to work on cannot be so readily improved, if at all - it's down to DNA by and large - watch the video with Dave Rennie talking about the most important quality in modern top level football being explosive power. Semenyo has this in spades, Britton has the explosiveness of a tub of lard.

That's not to say he can't have a career - there will always be a need for players who can find the net as well as he can, just not at the level City are aspiring to. 

This is all pretty obvious stuff so I  can only assume the reason you're getting your knickers in a twist is you're his dad or something. 

We took a punt on a local lad with some ability. Like most punts it wasn't a winner. It hasn't cost us much so no harm done. Next. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

The fascination with Britton is baffling to me. He scored a nothing goal late in a game where both teams fates were decided. That plus some goals against increasingly younger u23 sides. Couldn’t make it at conference level last season. Then again this season. Now his trials are at Derry City.

What is there to discuss here? Pearson told you what he thought of him in June. Contracts for Scott, Edwards, Conway etc and Britton nothing. Then says his fitness isn’t up to standard. He doesn’t train with the first team. Yet still some saying he should have had more chances here? Crazy

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The fascination with Britton is baffling to me. He scored a nothing goal late in a game where both teams fates were decided. That plus some goals against increasingly younger u23 sides. Couldn’t make it at conference level last season. Then again this season. Now his trials are at Derry City.

What is there to discuss here? Pearson told you what he thought of him in June. Contracts for Scott, Edwards, Conway etc and Britton nothing. Then says his fitness isn’t up to standard. He doesn’t train with the first team. Yet still some saying he should have had more chances here? Crazy

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The manager believes in Conway and has played him when he's been fit. Ditto Bell. Sam Pearson's not good enough.

So what's your point?

It's demonstrably obvious, noted by various posters with reasoned arguments, that Britton isn't physically up to Championship standard. There's no doubting he has natural ability when it comes to putting the ball in the net but modern football requires supreme physical athleticism above all else which he hasn't got and is unlikely to develop no matter how "fit" he gets.

Semenyo is the exact opposite - superb physical attributes, poor technique. But his technique can be improved through hard work and good coaching - we've seen that already.

The areas Britton needs to work on cannot be so readily improved, if at all - it's down to DNA by and large - watch the video with Dave Rennie talking about the most important quality in modern top level football being explosive power. Semenyo has this in spades, Britton has the explosiveness of a tub of lard.

That's not to say he can't have a career - there will always be a need for players who can find the net as well as he can, just not at the level City are aspiring to. 

This is all pretty obvious stuff so I  can only assume the reason you're getting your knickers in a twist is you're his dad or something. 

We took a punt on a local lad with some ability. It hasn't cost us much. No harm done. Next. 

This. The kid’s nowhere near good enough, especially when you compare him to Scott/Ayman/Conway/Bell. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He’s got a bit of the Brett Pitman about him.

If he is leaving that’s a shame. He got himself fit, as per the challenge set by Nige and Rennie.

But not everyone can make it here and you can’t always wait either. My stance on Louis is that I think he had something but he’s probably one who’ll develop later as he learns to use his frame / physique better.  I suspect Louis might be impatient for his chance too.

I guess we watch this space. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s got a bit of the Brett Pitman about him.

If he is leaving that’s a shame. He got himself fit, as per the challenge set by Nige and Rennie.

But not everyone can make it here and you can’t always wait either. My stance on Louis is that I think he had something but he’s probably one who’ll develop later as he learns to use his frame / physique better.  I suspect Louis might be impatient for his chance too.

I guess we watch this space. 

His interview after the Brentford game was great though...

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

If things go really well for him, maybe he’ll end up as a Rickie Lambert/Grant Holt type, hardly legendary athletes, but something about them and an eye for goal. As others have said, gone are the days of attempting to be some sort of Little Chelsea with armies of youngsters out on loan, using the approach that if we keep firing the gun, eventually a pheasant will fly past.

We need to be more confident that players will make it, that reduces costs and means there’s a clearer pathway for those who are here, but increases the chances that we miss out on a diamond. Conway looks a fair way ahead of the other youngsters up front to me (assuming Semenyo not a youngster), with physical attributes inc pace/strength and an eye for goal. If NP is keeping Tommy close to the first team and not the others, that reassures me in terms of his judgement. 

If not persisting with LB turns out to be an error, que sera sera, the only way to guarantee not making errors, is to never release anyone - that increases our costs and restricts careers of those that inevitably don’t become first XI regulars. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, handsofclay said:

But we can all do that on our day, it's doing it consistently that matters (although one can only do it twice a season v Brentford if in the same division as them).

Speak for yourself! I'm pretty certain I'd not score against Brentford however long I was given to do it! 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DaveF said:

His interview after the Brentford game was great though...

He got injured in that Brum semi-final unfortunately.

Great interview, similar to Towler’s!!

31 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

If things go really well for him, maybe he’ll end up as a Rickie Lambert/Grant Holt type, hardly legendary athletes, but something about them and an eye for goal. As others have said, gone are the days of attempting to be some sort of Little Chelsea with armies of youngsters out on loan, using the approach that if we keep firing the gun, eventually a pheasant will fly past.

We need to be more confident that players will make it, that reduces costs and means there’s a clearer pathway for those who are here, but increases the chances that we miss out on a diamond. Conway looks a fair way ahead of the other youngsters up front to me (assuming Semenyo not a youngster), with physical attributes inc pace/strength and an eye for goal. If NP is keeping Tommy close to the first team and not the others, that reassures me in terms of his judgement. 

If not persisting with LB turns out to be an error, que sera sera, the only way to guarantee not making errors, is to never release anyone - that increases our costs and restricts careers of those that inevitably don’t become first XI regulars. 

Yep, that the sum of it….good post.