IGNORED

Max O’ Leary

OddBallJim

I’m feeling I’m in the minority here, but I’m not convinced on him… yet. 

Their second goal looked saveable at the time, and having watched the footage back I would hope he could have done a little better. The ball seems to take an eternity to go in. He seems to also be a bit rooted to his line when crosses come in. 

Flip side of it is that he does look very comfortable with the ball at his feet, and can drill the ball with seemingly far more accuracy than Bentley. Plus he has a good long accurate throw out as well. This seems to suit how we want to play better than Bentley’s slow delivery and inevitable long high punt. 

In summary… I’m not sure who I’d pick moving forwards (unless Bentley is sold). But certainly don’t think it’s as easy as saying one is clearly better than the other when they each have merits and weaknesses. 

• Like 9

For me, Bentley’s a great shot-stopper but the stats back up that he’s way more direct and that has a huge impact off our style of play.

Yes, the results haven’t been great before today, but I think we’re a better all-round side with Max in it. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Max needs games. Hes not convincing. A bit of a flapper and fails to come from his line for crosses. 
Bentley for me, but im accepting that Max is likely the future. 

Yeah totally agree I am not convinced with him aerially at all but good feet. Still think Bentley is the better keeper

• Like 1

I think it would be very harsh on Max to lose his place, what has he done wrong? Very difficult to know if Bentley would have done any differently. 

Yes play your best players but if they are out of form (or broken some rules) then their place is lost until they can force it back.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think it would be very harsh on Max to lose his place, what has he done wrong? Very difficult to know if Bentley would have done any differently. 

Yes play your best players but if they are out of form (or broken some rules) then their place is lost until they can force it back.

Great point . Bentley has made a fair few clangers so guess him and max even themselves out but at least max is getting game time so if he is to stay for the future he’ll have plenty of experience. He definitely looks very calm and unfazed for someone who isn’t an experienced keeper at this level. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Bentley easier the better keeper.

I think that depends on how you define the keeper's role in the team.  Personally, I think O'Leary is a better ball player and a more calming influence on the defence.  Bentley is a slightly better shot stopper.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

I feel Cardiff’s second was saveable and each time I watch it, it looks more so. But I’m not sure that’s a droppable error, rather it’s more something I hope MOL doesn’t do again. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, cheese said:

I think that depends on how you define the keeper's role in the team.  Personally, I think O'Leary is a better ball player and a more calming influence on the defence.  Bentley is a slightly better shot stopper.

More than slightly, I would say. But Max doesn't deserve to be dropped.

The bloke had pretty much an unchallenged header that skipped up off the turf. I’m not sure too many would have saved it. 

Mac has done well and has his place n merit. 

As the bloke above says, our playing out has coincided with Max being in. If anyone thinks that’s a coincidence, then I would suggest you think again. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cheese said:

I honestly believe that Bents won’t be of great interest to Premier League clubs because of his limited ball playing and distribution skills. It’s such a key element in the skill set of all top keepers these days. 

• Like 4

Playing some of our best football in years and people want Bentley back to hoof it up to no one so we can defend again and again. ? Sorry but Max has been a major contributor to us looking like a side that can compete in the championship. We were conceding a fair amount of goal with Bentley in goal anyway. Bentley is a fine keeper but think he got too comfortable in the role. Not ready to drop Max just yet personally. Keep Bentley sweating a bit more. In the end though, Max probably has more a future here anyway with wages taken into account so may as well get him some games. 

• Like 8

Bents is a better keeper.

Maybe Max better with the ball.

Max played 4 league games - No clean sheets and 12 in (can’t blame that all on him)

Not been to bad in the 4 but is he better than Bents not for me.!

The last goal today does not look good the more you watch it.

The next few games are make it brake for Max. If he does not Keep the No 1 spot this season then never will. 

If Nige fancies hims for next season then he keeps his place if Bents is back then maybe time for Max to move on and get 1st team football even if L1.

• Like 1

A combination of the two would be ideal (/unrealistic), but neither clearly ahead of the other for me. Think Max will be disappointed with the 2nd today, but not seen many howlers from him and offers an awful lot more than Dan when we’ve got the ball and when opponents are breaking, as plays much higher. 

Max has been decent and deserves to keep his place. One thing I did notice today, though, was that a few times he could have played the ball to Pring who was in acres of space, but he either delayed or played it to the right instead - similar to how Bentley tends to be slow in his decision making when he’s got the ball. In previous games Max has been quicker on deciding who to give it to. 

Had we been in more trouble with league position or playing form I’d have Bentley everyday. However Max is a decent GK and needs more games to improve and build confidence. 

So whilst we seem safe this year, with nothing to play for, and with Bentley one of the few players who should command a decent fee (whilst being one of the higher earners I presume) - is now the time to sell and give Max the rest of this season to prove himself? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Nothing against Max, but give me Bentley every day of the week. 

I genuinely think he would’ve saved their second. 

Bently is a line keeper. Max gives defence more confidence cos he comes off his line.no doubt bently is a fantastic quick reaction keeper but frightens our defence cos he is rooted don't know if he is going to come our or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

O’Leary for me. Better, braver distribution and we aren’t going down so give him games to help him improve. If he does keep improving then sell Bentley in the summer and use the money to purchase an outfield player in whatever position is deemed a priority 

“We aren’t going down”.

Thought I’d analyse that… we’re as close to QPR (4th) as we are Peterborough (22nd) - 14 points from each. 

I think you’re right. We don’t have a lot left to do to stay up. I was going to write this can only mean more game time for the youngsters - but actually they’re now proving to be part of our best team. 

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

“We aren’t going down”.

Thought I’d analyse that… we’re as close to QPR (4th) as we are Peterborough (22nd) - 14 points from each. 

I think you’re right. We don’t have a lot left to do to stay up. I was going to write this can only mean more game time for the youngsters - but actually they’re now proving to be part of our best team. 

13 points needed max from 19 games 

We’ve got 14 points from our last 10 games and 24 points from our last 20. And we are improving. I think we will finish on around 58 points which will be around 12-14 points clear of the bottom 3.