IGNORED

Max O’ Leary

Lack of Action Man

It does feel like O'Leary has been around forever but he's never really had a full season of games and still relatively inexperienced for a goalkeeper.Bentley has had the amount of games again he's relatively inexperienced for a goalkeeper but for me hes wasteful with distribution but better in other areas, O'Leary looks more accomplished at this yes other areas need improving but I think the more he plays the more Pearson guides him I think he's going to be a solid goalkeeper,No goalkeeper is perfect and will 100% without doubt make mistakes.

• Like 2

For me, it sort of balances out. Bentley makes that I don't think O'Leary would make but I also think he makes unforced errors that Max has not (yet) made and, as others have noted, we play better football with Max in the team.

I also think there may be a wider issue with Bentley. This might be completely unfair but Bentley reminds me of Shay Given in the sense that he is a really great shotstopper but seems to constantly find himself in defensively frail teams to a point where you have to wonder if he communicates and marshals the defence as well as some other goalkeepers do. I might be completely wrong on that, of course, but I wonder if our defence lacks on-pitch guidance at times and you do need your keeper to be doing that especially as our most experienced central defender doesn't seem to be the most vocal of players. 

18 hours ago, pongo88 said:

You could ask what O’Leary has done wrong to deserve losing his place, but the same question could be asked of Bentley. IMO the primary job of a keeper is to save attempts on goal and Bentley is better than O’Leary at this. Throwing the ball out, although important, is secondary. I though the second Cardiff goal was embarrassing. It was a slow motion header and O’Leary didn’t really dive he just fell over as though he’d had a few too many drinks. In theory, it should be simple to get Bentley to stop kicking long. Pearson would just tell him. Perhaps Pearson has been telling Bentley to stop kicking long but he didn’t take any notice so he was dropped 

I’m not saying Max is perfect, there is a reason he has been number 2 for so long and hasn’t been able to break into the team. My understanding is Bentley broke some rules or something, nothing to do with his playing, or supposedly not. Max has come in and on the whole performed well, giving Pearson a headache about when to swop them again. I just don’t think he has done enough to be dropped. But obviously I don’t know the severity of Bentleys ‘crime’, or his form and attitude since.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I’m not saying Max is perfect, there is a reason he has been number 2 for so long and hasn’t been able to break into the team. My understanding is Bentley broke some rules or something, nothing to do with his playing, or supposedly not. Max has come in and on the whole performed well, giving Pearson a headache about when to swop them again. I just don’t think he has done enough to be dropped. But obviously I don’t know the severity of Bentleys ‘crime’, or his form and attitude since.

I'm not sure he did "break rules", I think that was a case of many people (myself included) getting 2 + 2 to equal 5. When I looked at the comment again it seemed to me that Nige thought Bentley's form had dipped and the "he knows the rules" comment related to the fact that nobody in the squad is given a "free place" in the side, Captain or otherwise...........exactly how it should be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm not sure he did "break rules", I think that was a case of many people (myself included) getting 2 + 2 to equal 5. When I looked at the comment again it seemed to me that Nige thought Bentley's form had dipped and the "he knows the rules" comment related to the fact that nobody in the squad is given a "free place" in the side, Captain or otherwise...........exactly how it should be.

Yes, I think it was me that jumped on a Gregor tweet, and then when I read the whole comments for context it was not “breaking the rules”, but that Nige has a selection policy and just because Dan is captain should not negate him being dropped / replaced by Max.

@RedM so probably my fault.

• Like 2

Regarding the distribution differences, it does seem that O'Leary is better at it but also how much of that coincides with different style of play, change of instruction? Reckon the two cross over.

Bentley in general, a fantastic shot stopper but never been so convinced that the defence has been that confident with him behind it. I remember when he was dropped about 2 years ago just before lockdown 1, we seemed more stable in draws with Millwall and Fulham when Maenpaa was in goal.

As for the current team, well O'Leary the man in possession until he loses form or Bentley really shines in training hence he should retain his place. We are conceding quite a few goals however! 20 shots on target, 12 goals in 4 League games albeit 2 were penalties.

• Like 1