IGNORED

If we finish higher than 14th then this has been a GOOD season

headhunter

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Scott at left wing back is an option. He does it well on the other side of the pitch.

I don't think a player has to be left footed to play on the left and with Scott coming in field then it would occasionally allow Pring to go on the overlap from left centre back.

So does the same apply to a left footed player taking a position on the right a la JD at RWB

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

If you extrapolate Derby and Cardiffs results over the season then knock off Derby's deduction then they finish about a point behind Cardiff.

They aren't down yet 

I agree Derby or not ‘gone’ and neither are Barnsley. However I think what the original poster was getting across badly was 19 points behind us is a hell of a gap to make up. 

Personally I’ve been seeing signs of improvement for a long while. We are now playing some decent attacking football. The idea we need a striker or should fire the manager is becoming a memory from a podcast and our kids of which there are many are getting a really decent go. 

Tuesday is a bigger game than some may think. Does Williams start and if not do we start Scott in the middle, it seems overlooked that we were so much better with him in the middle yesterday. Do we start Williams and Scott in the middle , a real possibility if Williams is fit and James and King are not. Our back three four five is open for debate with the injuries and in availability, and does Max continue in goal?

I'm confident that we'll stay up and finish mid pack. There's quite a lot of talk on this thread about us selling off our young talent. That could happen of course but we don't have much of a history of doing so. Clearly if a Prem team comes knocking, especially if they offer silly money as in the case of Lloyd Kelly, we may sell but if we believe all we're told we've previously said no to offers for Semenyo and Massengo so long may that continue. 

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

That was my thinking at the start of the season but the emergence of Scott plus the energy of HNM makes me think  we could line up like this when all fit in a 3-4-3

MOL / KALAS, ATKINSON, PRING / SCOTT, HNM, JAMES, WILLIAMS / WEIMANN, SEMENYO, MARTIN

I'm no tactical expert but I can see that looks a little unbalanced on the left side in particular; how do Chelsea do it, are two of their 4 in the middle conventional wing backs

Swap Martin for COD and that gives the balance and lets Alex Scott play in the 10 position with MJ/HNM rotating into AM from DM.

Nigel is definitely building a head of steam with these players but we relying a lot on the younger players having enough to see the season out. We should be ok but I'll be a lot happier with a couple more quick wins under our belt. One problem that could arise later is if bigger clubs start looking at our youngsters and their heads get turned.  Its up to Nigel and the coaches to keep them focused on the job in hand. The future could be so bright for them and this club, but the finances will call the shots as it always does. We may survive this season only to have to start again next year with another rebuild. I bl**dy enjoyed yesterday though!!

What people keep failing to forget is that never in the last 20+ years have we ever played so many young players and regularly. Not only that but they are also good enough to allow us to compete in the championship of all leagues (so say the toughest league in English football). Not only competing to make up the numbers but mid table of all places and possibly higher.

i think all of the above gives us realistic hope for the years ahead whilst hoping the club can get itself in order financially in the mean time.

anything better than relegation is a success this year all things considered but the fact we can give 18-20 year olds 40+ games of experience AND they are repaying that with returns is unbelievable 

• Like 4

I think we all agreed we’re prepared to do relatively poorly in the league if our youngsters are shining through and they’re certainly doing that. 

I’m torn between who the find of the season is though… Scott or as an outside bet… Cam Pring. 

These are exciting times. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This kinda sums it up for us.

image.png.07a39d5ff7ff732db1e90eac129d45eb.png

Beat all the teams below us, mix against those around us.

That second goal resembled a training ground session….in fairness Flint resembled a mannequin! ?

I had to laugh as Martin outpaced him.?

Demonstrates exactly what i said on the podcast @Davefevs. We are in a mini type league at the bottom, and unlike last season appear to be competitive against the teams below us.

Not sure about our next 3 games points wise. But our home form has come at the right time to just keep us being sucked into anything too disastrous.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This kinda sums it up for us.

image.png.07a39d5ff7ff732db1e90eac129d45eb.png

Beat all the teams below us, mix against those around us.

That second goal resembled a training ground session….in fairness Flint resembled a mannequin! ?

So basically we're doing what Bayern Munich do...beat the teams below us!

33% league win rate for Nige this season, which in the circumstances is decent.

• Like 2

On 23/01/2022 at 09:54, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

We had a good idea of what to expect this season and the difficulties involved.

Hearing a lot of people talking as if we’ve done enough now and another season in the Championship is a certainty…..don’t agree with that. Think Barnsley and Derby are gone and it’s nice to have a 14 point cushion but until we’re mathematically safe I’m not taking anything for granted.

At that point we’ve had a satisfactory season as far as I’m concerned. Anything mid table or above would be a big bonus but survival is fine by me given our current circumstances.

Leaving aside the position in the the table, I was well entertained on Saturday and frequently out of my seat. Watching a combination of kids and oldies really giving 100% and providing some real excitement is also a huge step forward.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Leaving aside the position in the the table, I was well entertained on Saturday and frequently out of my seat. Watching a combination of kids and oldies really giving 100% and providing some real excitement is also a huge step forward.

Couldn’t agree more mate ?

I’m of the opinion that I don’t really care where we end up finishing this season and to a degree even next season. It’s all about improving performances game after game after game.

What I’ve liked so far this season is that feeling of a young team wanting to get better and starting to learn from the mistakes made as the season has gone on and also getting more and more experience of playing in the championship, what it takes to win games or not lose games. Nobody can argue I don’t think that the players aren’t learning and getting better and better.

So I just want to see our young players continuing to learn this season. Experience more ups and downs that will stand them in good stead for next season.

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just a fact check on Timm Klose’s appearances. Not 203 as mentioned by Ian. Even Wikipedia, which is not that accurate had 284.  We can see it’s over 350 from Transfermarkt.

”Kloss” it’s “Close-a” ?

816767F1-6C32-49A8-A69D-D4A2706CE9ED.thumb.jpeg.b04c7fffe30161921171107bb7c66f10.jpeg

So you’re saying he’s making it up again? Soccerway has 287 league appearances plus of course the inevitable cup ones.

I’m shocked, I can tell you..

Edited by GrahamC

On 23/01/2022 at 16:45, Olé said:

I helps when we win but I really enjoyed that @headhunter. Not sure who Neil is but very sensible and interesting thoughts on Bakinson, league position and FFP.

Completely agree @Olé mate, he was superb best guest they’ve had on there and needs to be a regular. 

Shame the audio was a mess for the last 20 minutes as it was a good episode.

• Like 1

I'd happily take performances like last night, with several young lads on the pitch and finishing mid-lower table with some promise of progression and signs of improvement over the end of season collapses we saw under LJ, Holden's season, GJ's last couple of years or worse... SOD/McInnes etc

Is it perfect? Nowhere near.

Can I see improvement? 100%

We wont win every game, we probably wont even manage much consistency at the moment in results. But I couldn't fault a single player's effort last night, we weren't "beaten" we just switched off twice and in fairness, it was probably the only 2 lapses all night. Other than Zac being turned on the wing in the second half leading to a corner, I can't remember them getting the better of our defence in open play

• Like 2