IGNORED

Albert Adomah. Championship record holder

CyderInACan

6 hours ago, TBW said:

If I meant average I'd have said average. Journey means played for a lot of teams. You can be good and play for a lot of teams.

Journeyman sounds like it should mean played for a lot of teams, but it doesn't.

It means an average, reliable and fairly unremarkable player.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The second tier of English football was called the Second Division for 100 years, then it was called the First Division for 12 years and now it has been known as the Championship for 17 years - I just think it’s a bit strange to have records that only acknowledge the last 17 years of the 129 year existence of tier two ...

Agree….or at least qualify the basis of the record, e.g. since the advent of the PL, so people know.

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Journeyman sounds like it should mean played for a lot of teams, but it doesn't.

Does it.  I’ve always taken it to be a aged player who’s played for lots of teams generally at a certain level(s).

E.g. 32 year old with 15 clubs mainly in one or two divisions.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree….or at least qualify the basis of the record, e.g. since the advent of the PL, so people know.

Does it.  I’ve always taken it to be a aged player who’s played for lots of teams generally at a certain level(s).

Yep, it's got a picture of Steve Claridge next to it in the dictionary!

Albert's had a really decent career, played for some good clubs and got international recognition. Certainly another achievement to be proud of.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Nope. Disagree. 

If someone had only played for two clubs but was "average, reliable and fairly unremarkable", would you call him a journeyman? Where has he journied to exactly, if only having played for two clubs?

First Google results are:

The Wikipedia definition which shows you are using the American definition, not the British. In which case, why aren't you saying "soccer" too? And then the below... which all support my use of the word. 

- The greatest football journeymen to play for 10 clubs or more - Dream Team

Nicolas Anelka, Christian Vieri, Rivaldo, Luca Toni, Peter Crouch.

- Football Journeyman: Top 20 Players With Most Number Of Club - Funs And Facts

Some players shift numerous clubs throughout their football careers. They are known as journeymen footballers...

- Journeymen: The six players to have played for seven or more Premier...

Journeymen: The six players to have played for seven or more Premier League clubs - Andy Cole - 7 clubs - Craig Bellamy - 7 clubs - Wayne Routledge ...

Edited by TBW
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, TBW said:

Nope. Disagree. 

If someone had only played for two clubs but was "average, reliable and fairly unremarkable", would you call him a journeyman? Where has he journied to exactly, if only having played for two clubs?

The Wikipedia definition which shows you are using the American definition, not the British. In which case, why aren't you saying "soccer" too? And then the below... which all support my use of the word. 

Some players shift numerous clubs throughout their football careers. They are known as journeymen footballers...

Journeymen: The six players to have played for seven or more Premier League clubs - Andy Cole - 7 clubs - Craig Bellamy - 7 clubs - Wayne Routledge ...

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

fair enough, I stand corrected

My friend Rob who has learning difficulties was Alberts greatest fan. Birthdays in Robs world are very important so he would always get a card and gift for Albert and Bradley Orr. The day of Alberts birthday he was unusually warming up on the far side of the pitch. Warm up done he short off down the tunnel without coming over to our side. Rob was devastated that he could not give Albert his card and present. One of the stewards could see Robs plight but sadly she mistook Marvin Elliot for Albert. She took him on the pitch to present the card and gift to Marvin who looked bemused, so was Rob. Marvin proceeded down the tunnel. A minute or so latter Albert came sprinting out of the tunnel with a beaming smile ran over to Rob to thank him and make a right old fuss of him and presented Rob with his boots. Smashing bloke, good on you Albert.

Edited by Red Rag
Not finished typing
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Nope. Disagree. 

I’m sorry, but you’re completely wrong. Just because you’ve found other examples of football fans misusing the word doesn’t make you or them right.

• Like 1

Literally the first result on Google. Taken from the Oxford English Dictionary. 

journeyman
/ˈdʒəːnɪmən/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

2. 2. 
    HISTORICAL
    a trained worker who is employed by someone else.
    "a journeyman carpenter"

Just now, David Brent said:

Literally the first result on Google. Taken from the Oxford English Dictionary. 

journeyman
/ˈdʒəːnɪmən/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

2. 2. 
    HISTORICAL
    a trained worker who is employed by someone else.
    "a journeyman carpenter"

In American English, a journeyman or journeywoman is an athlete who is technically competent but unable to excel.[15] The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for numerous clubs during their career

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Selred said:

In American English, a journeyman or journeywoman is an athlete who is technically competent but unable to excel.[15] The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for numerous clubs during their career

Interesting. Where’s that from? 

48 minutes ago, Selred said:

That’s the very last sentence of a lengthy Wikipedia article, the rest of which wholly supports the original meaning of the word. Reading the whole article explains the origin nicely. “Journey” is not related to travel but is from journee (meaning day) because these workers were paid daily. They hadn’t  progressed to master craftsman level, so were considered of average ability.

In time this football related malapropism will probably be accepted as a new meaning, but for the moment most people still consider journeyman as a mild insult meaning bang average.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

In time this football related malapropism will probably be accepted as a new meaning, but for the moment most people still consider journeyman as a mild insult meaning bang average.

I've always considered it a player with a lot of clubs. How do we do a poll on here to see?

• Haha 1

Loved Albert.

He's only played two games in the prem - but i always thought he would end up a decent premier league player. Surprised its not worked out that way.

Always wanted him to come back too. Ah well.

Enjoyed the season he was with us. He literally carried that team.

What a player. There's a lot of talk about JET being our most exciting player in recent times but for me it was Albert, was always so consistent in a side that was complete shite.

Him alongside Bolasie was one of the best attacks I've seen down City. Not that there's much competition...

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

I've always considered it a player with a lot of clubs. How do we do a poll on here to see?

Pretty pointless, as it’s only really  a few football fans who have adopted this use of the word, while the rest of the population carry on with the original/proper meaning.

Just now, Leveller said:

Pretty pointless, as it’s only really  a few football fans who have adopted this use of the word, while the rest of the population carry on with the original/proper meaning.

In your opinion. I haven't heard of the other meaning until today to be honest.

Looking online most major newspapers have used the term journeyman as in many clubs. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The other way around though, sure.

Looks like the poll disagrees with you too.

Edited by TBW

5 hours ago, Red Rag said:

My friend Rob who has learning difficulties was Alberts greatest fan. Birthdays in Robs world are very important so he would always get a card and gift for Albert and Bradley Orr. The day of Alberts birthday he was unusually warming up on the far side of the pitch. Warm up done he short off down the tunnel without coming over to our side. Rob was devastated that he could not give Albert his card and present. One of the stewards could see Robs plight but sadly she mistook Marvin Elliot for Albert. She took him on the pitch to present the card and gift to Marvin who looked bemused, so was Rob. Marvin proceeded down the tunnel. A minute or so latter Albert came sprinting out of the tunnel with a beaming smile ran over to Rob to thank him and make a right old fuss of him and presented Rob with his boots. Smashing bloke, good on you Albert.

What a lovely story, on so many levels.

• Like 2