IGNORED

Stop paying transfer fees

Waconda

I think that will be the general thrust, but including “sensible fees” for those young enough to be here longer term and with upside to gain in value.  See my post about Barnsley as an example.

(whilst accepting no transfer is a guaranteed success).

We ain’t gonna spend £3m on a 30 year old striker anymore.

I hope we won’t let players with value see out their contracts anymore.  We need to get full value when we can, or else bite them bullet even if it’s just wages saved, e.g. Adam Nagy.  Famara Diedhiou as an example is FFP suicide.

• Like 1

Even free transfers aren’t always free / low cost. It might be just that a player has run down his contract but is wanted by many clubs. In which case there will be high salary expectations and agent’s fees to consider. Paying a transfer fee for a player from a lower division could be cheaper over the length of his contract. 

• Like 2

It’s not quite this simple, but certainly the summer gives us an opportunity to further re-shape the squad.

Simpson, Cundy, King, O’Dowda & Martin are all out of contract, & even if any of them get offered another deal, it is likely to be on less than at present.

If we are active with those players out of contract elsewhere we can strengthen without spending too much.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that will be the general thrust, but including “sensible fees” for those young enough to be here longer term and with upside to gain in value.  See my post about Barnsley as an example.

(whilst accepting no transfer is a guaranteed success).

We ain’t gonna spend £3m on a 30 year old striker anymore.

I hope we won’t let players with value see out their contracts anymore.  We need to get full value when we can, or else bite them bullet even if it’s just wages saved, e.g. Adam Nagy.  Famara Diedhiou as an example is FFP suicide.

Yep.

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You always need experience in a side to guide the kids. There will be plenty of free transfers about in the next year or so . I’ve always said , the most money should be spent on our scouting network . If it’s good it saves millions in the long term 

We agree on something !!

Tanner and Atkinson relatively low transfer fees for the championship. Both young both with potential to make profit on. Low risk. And this will be the model the club will use for years to come. Fees for older players will rarely happen and we will sign them on a free and rotate the wages season after season. Player after player. 

• Like 1

QPR are the model we need to follow with regards to recruiment, at least under Warburton. Smart reinvestment of funds from sales, nothing extravagant, older players on largers wages only on loan - mitigating longer term financial risk, etc.

Read some daft stat earlier that out of the top 6, most squads cost are over £120m (Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA).
QPR's first 18 (including bench) was something like £7m (not including any loan fees).

Dickie, Dykes, Johansen, Field, and Willock cost a combined figure in the region of £4.7m - essentially for that same fee we bought Palmer and DaSilva.

Austin, Odebajo, Dunne, Adomah, on frees; McCallum and Gray on loan.

No fee for a single player over £2,5m essentially, plenty of frees - difference being, Eze aside, their Academy has no where near our profligate output with regards to our pathway system (O'Leary, Vyner, Towler, Scott, Benarous, Conway, Bell, Edwards, Pring, etc). The advantage to the latter being two fold - cheaper wages and greater profit margins (when/if sold). This summer will be huge.

20 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Tanner and Atkinson relatively low transfer fees for the championship. Both young both with potential to make profit on. Low risk. And this will be the model the club will use for years to come. Fees for older players will rarely happen and we will sign them on a free and rotate the wages season after season. Player after player. 

I'd actually say it was quite expensive; when you consider QPR signed Dickie, arguably a more complete player - albeit 2 years older - for only £300k more, in consideration of cumulative losses caused by COVID.

We need to ultimate focus on wages, wages, and wages. Need to cut the high earners, or at least renegotiate contracts, or sell where we can maximise profit based on age/contract situation, i.e. Wells, Kalas, and Bentley as respective examples of each. Added to which others we need to make decisions on whose contract run out this season - O'Dowda, Martin, etc.

Not sure if it will be "Stop paying transfer fees" as opposed to "Sell academy products and reinvest wisely" as a means to refresh the squad.  The key word there of course is "wisely".  We have sold to spend before, but had run out of saleable assets until this season. Unfortunately he who shall not be named just spunked the cash for fun to feed his ego trip.  With Gould at the helm I would hope that we will be far more sensible.

It's a shame that we didn't approach Biff before he left Man City for West Ham.  The emotional pull might just have been enough to tempt him here.  Now that would have been an ambitious signing.