Jump to content
IGNORED

Luton Town away match day thread


Recommended Posts

This is our rearranged St Stephen’s Day fixture. Back then Luton we’re two points above us with a game in hand now it’s still a two point difference but they have two games in hand.

It is on the red button.

Kenilworth Road has quite possibly the most odd away entrance of any ground in the EFL. After going down a small alleyway at the side of the stadium, the impression is of queuing to go into someone’s house and then through their back garden before getting to the seated area of the Oak Stand.

They are hoping a new 23,000-seat stadium will be built on the site of a former power station in the centre of Luton, but there are ups and downs with the proposals and earlier this month a decision on the plans to develop the land near the M1 were deferred.

Just for added giggles Andy Davies was going to officiate and this was announced on the day Nigel Pearson was fined £5000 for comments made against him after the QPR match. However, Davies has been removed from the fixture as rules state a referee cannot be appointed to the same team within four weeks unless it's absolutely necessary.

On Saturday The Hatters' five-match unbeaten run came to an end at Bramall Lane as two quickfire Sheffield United strikes early in the second half gave the Blades all three points. Town were already trailing to two goals inside three minutes, when central defender Reece Burke was sent off for pulling Brewster back when he was in on goal with half-an-hour still to play. So he won’t feature tonight.

Their top scorer is Elijah Adebayo with 11 goals in 24 appearances already this season, he joined them in February 2021 from Walsall for an disclosed fee. Defender Kal Naismith and midfielder Jordan Clark have been the other stand-out players.

We are likely to be without James, Atkinson and King. James is recovering from a foot injury, Atkinson is currently suffering with an issue with his back, whilst King could also be forced to watch on from the sidelines due to a hamstring injury.

Have a feeling that H-NM will notch his first City goal tonight.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
Assistant Referee: Akil Howson
Assistant Referee: Michael George
Fourth Official: John Busby

Pubs for away fans include:

  • Bobbers Supporters Club, 101 Oak Road, Luton, LU4 8AA
  • Beech Hill Conservative Club, 18a Leagrave Road, Luton, LU4 8HZ
  • The White House, 1 Bridge Street, Luton, LU1 1SA which is a Wetherspoon outlet, https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/bedfordshire/the-white-house-luton
  • Bricklayers Arms, 16-18 High Town Road, Luton, LU2 0DD. This quirky pub, which has been run by the same landlady for over 30 years, is popular with Hatters fans on match days, has TVs in both bars. The six hand pumps serve a variety of guest beers from breweries all over the nation with a choice of light, amber and usually a mild. Draft Belgian beers and two real ciders are also available.

Last season we drew 1-1 away and lost 2-3 at home against them. Our head to head record is remarkably close we have won 22, lost 22 and drawn 18. They are currently sitting in 13th place on 35 points. Back in September at Ashton Gate it finished 1-1, Baker scored for us and they equalised in stoppage time, the highlights are here: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-bristol-city-1-1-luton-town/

Their fans forum the ‘Luton outlaws’ contains this notice: ‘What you read on here is 100% conjecture, fiction, lies, bullshit and complete bollocks. If you want to be taken seriously, you are in the wrong place.’ It can be viewed here:  https://members.boardhost.com/lutonoutlaws/

In May 2020,Nathan Jones was reappointed as their manager, almost 18 months after originally leaving the club to manage Stoke City. In his first press conference, Jones spoke of his "regret" and "remorse" over the way he initially left the club and that he understood the mixed fan reaction to his exit and return, with hopes that he could earn fans trust back. Jones went on to successfully guide Luton to Championship safety on the final day of the season with a 19th place finish, despite the club being in 23rd place when he re-joined. In the following season, Jones achieved a 12th place finish after gathering 62 points (11 more than us) which was their highest points total in the second tier since the 1981–82 season.

Jones is a devout Christian who credits his faith with getting him through bad times. He has several religious tattoos on his body including praying hands and the crucifixion on his left bicep and forearm, Jesus Christ on his right bicep, and Michaelangelo's 'The Creation of Adam' across his back. "It keeps you grounded. There's a lot of temptations, a lot of pitfalls nowadays, especially for a sportsman – and I think through God's guidance I've been able to steer clear of them. Through the hard times I've always had the stability of the Lord in my life and my family background has kept me on the straight and narrow." Nathan Jones does not hide his faith and is very open to mentioning it during press conferences with the term 'God willing' often being used. Jones is bilingual, able to speak both English and Spanish.

Earlier this month assistant-manager Mick Harford returned to working full-time after completing his course of radiotherapy treatment for prostate cancer before Christmas.

Players that have played for both clubs include Tony Thorpe, Tyreeq Jamal Adeshina Oliveira Bakinson (wow) and Henri Lansbury.

Luton trivia

  • In 2009, Luton were relegated to the Conference for the first time in over 89 years, after a tumultuous few years off the pitch which saw points deductions and administration. It would be a tough baptism of fire in non-league, as the Hatters did not achieve promotion back to League Two until 2014. They participated in two play-off finals whilst in the fifth tier, losing to AFC Wimbledon and York City respectively.
  • In 2013 they became the first non-league side in history to defeat a Premier League team in the FA Cup.They beat Norwich 1- 0 at Carrow Road and eventually advanced to the fifth round of the competition.
  • The Hatters avoided relegation on the final day of the 2019/20 season with a 3-2 win against Blackburn Rovers. They did so with the help of two own goals as they came from behind. Winning three and drawing two of their five games at the end of that season.
  • Luton’s current longest serving player is Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, who has been with the Hatters since their non-league days. The midfielder, who is a fans favourite, has achieved three promotions in that time, scoring in each division from the Conference to the Championship.
  • One of their biggest wins was a 12–0 victory over Bristol Rovers in the Third Division South on 13 April 1936.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Any idea if it's pay on the day? Undecided if I can go yet, simply because of work so might be a last minute decision

It's one of the more local ones for me

They haven't announced its POTD yet, they usually do by now if it is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Any idea if it's pay on the day? Undecided if I can go yet, simply because of work so might be a last minute decision

It's one of the more local ones for me

No, read last night you have to phone for tickets until 5pm.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

.

They are hoping a new 23,000-seat stadium will be built on the site of a former power station in the centre of Luton, but there are ups and downs with the proposals and earlier this month a decision on the plans to develop the land near the M1 were deferred

One of their biggest wins was a 12–0 victory over Bristol Rovers in the Third Division South on 13 April 1936.

 

When I was watching them until 1977, they were trying to move even then! The plans always got turned down.

 

 

Screenshot_20200414-104223_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200414-104516_Chrome.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

This is our rearranged St Stephen’s Day fixture. Back then Luton we’re two points above us with a game in hand now it’s still a two point difference but they have two games in hand.

It is on the red button.

Kenilworth Road has quite possibly the most odd away entrance of any ground in the EFL. After going down a small alleyway at the side of the stadium, the impression is of queuing to go into someone’s house and then through their back garden before getting to the seated area of the Oak Stand.

They are hoping a new 23,000-seat stadium will be built on the site of a former power station in the centre of Luton, but there are ups and downs with the proposals and earlier this month a decision on the plans to develop the land near the M1 were deferred.

Just for added giggles Andy Davies was going to officiate and this was announced on the day Nigel Pearson was fined £5000 for comments made against him after the QPR match. However, Davies has been removed from the fixture as rules state a referee cannot be appointed to the same team within four weeks unless it's absolutely necessary.

On Saturday The Hatters' five-match unbeaten run came to an end at Bramall Lane as two quickfire Sheffield United strikes early in the second half gave the Blades all three points. Town were already trailing to two goals inside three minutes, when central defender Reece Burke was sent off for pulling Brewster back when he was in on goal with half-an-hour still to play. So he won’t feature tonight.

Their top scorer is Elijah Adebayo with 11 goals in 24 appearances already this season, he joined them in February 2021 from Walsall for an disclosed fee. Defender Kal Naismith and midfielder Jordan Clark have been the other stand-out players.

We are likely to be without James, Atkinson and King. James is recovering from a foot injury, Atkinson is currently suffering with an issue with his back, whilst King could also be forced to watch on from the sidelines due to a hamstring injury.

Have a feeling that H-NM will notch his first City goal tonight.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
Assistant Referee: Akil Howson
Assistant Referee: Michael George
Fourth Official: John Busby

Pubs for away fans include:

  • Bobbers Supporters Club, 101 Oak Road, Luton, LU4 8AA
  • Beech Hill Conservative Club, 18a Leagrave Road, Luton, LU4 8HZ
  • The White House, 1 Bridge Street, Luton, LU1 1SA which is a Wetherspoon outlet, https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/bedfordshire/the-white-house-luton
  • Bricklayers Arms, 16-18 High Town Road, Luton, LU2 0DD. This quirky pub, which has been run by the same landlady for over 30 years, is popular with Hatters fans on match days, has TVs in both bars. The six hand pumps serve a variety of guest beers from breweries all over the nation with a choice of light, amber and usually a mild. Draft Belgian beers and two real ciders are also available.

Last season we drew 1-1 away and lost 2-3 at home against them. Our head to head record is remarkably close we have won 22, lost 22 and drawn 18. They are currently sitting in 13th place on 35 points. Back in September at Ashton Gate it finished 1-1, Baker scored for us and they equalised in stoppage time, the highlights are here: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-bristol-city-1-1-luton-town/

Their fans forum the ‘Luton outlaws’ contains this notice: ‘What you read on here is 100% conjecture, fiction, lies, bullshit and complete bollocks. If you want to be taken seriously, you are in the wrong place.’ It can be viewed here:  https://members.boardhost.com/lutonoutlaws/

In May 2020,Nathan Jones was reappointed as their manager, almost 18 months after originally leaving the club to manage Stoke City. In his first press conference, Jones spoke of his "regret" and "remorse" over the way he initially left the club and that he understood the mixed fan reaction to his exit and return, with hopes that he could earn fans trust back. Jones went on to successfully guide Luton to Championship safety on the final day of the season with a 19th place finish, despite the club being in 23rd place when he re-joined. In the following season, Jones achieved a 12th place finish after gathering 62 points (11 more than us) which was their highest points total in the second tier since the 1981–82 season.

Jones is a devout Christian who credits his faith with getting him through bad times. He has several religious tattoos on his body including praying hands and the crucifixion on his left bicep and forearm, Jesus Christ on his right bicep, and Michaelangelo's 'The Creation of Adam' across his back. "It keeps you grounded. There's a lot of temptations, a lot of pitfalls nowadays, especially for a sportsman – and I think through God's guidance I've been able to steer clear of them. Through the hard times I've always had the stability of the Lord in my life and my family background has kept me on the straight and narrow." Nathan Jones does not hide his faith and is very open to mentioning it during press conferences with the term 'God willing' often being used. Jones is bilingual, able to speak both English and Spanish.

Earlier this month assistant-manager Mick Harford returned to working full-time after completing his course of radiotherapy treatment for prostate cancer before Christmas.

Players that have played for both clubs include Tony Thorpe, Tyreeq Jamal Adeshina Oliveira Bakinson (wow) and Henri Lansbury.

Luton trivia

  • In 2009, Luton were relegated to the Conference for the first time in over 89 years, after a tumultuous few years off the pitch which saw points deductions and administration. It would be a tough baptism of fire in non-league, as the Hatters did not achieve promotion back to League Two until 2014. They participated in two play-off finals whilst in the fifth tier, losing to AFC Wimbledon and York City respectively.
  • In 2013 they became the first non-league side in history to defeat a Premier League team in the FA Cup.They beat Norwich 1- 0 at Carrow Road and eventually advanced to the fifth round of the competition.
  • The Hatters avoided relegation on the final day of the 2019/20 season with a 3-2 win against Blackburn Rovers. They did so with the help of two own goals as they came from behind. Winning three and drawing two of their five games at the end of that season.
  • Luton’s current longest serving player is Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, who has been with the Hatters since their non-league days. The midfielder, who is a fans favourite, has achieved three promotions in that time, scoring in each division from the Conference to the Championship.
  • One of their biggest wins was a 12–0 victory over Bristol Rovers in the Third Division South on 13 April 1936.

 

I have a distinct memory of us losing 2-1 there last season, although it was 1-1 before they scored the winner with a low shot from the edge of the box. I try to forget the opposition’s goals as well. 

Link to comment

My first visit to Kenilworth Road was on Saturday 3 October 1970 to see City lose 3-0 in a Division Two clash to two first half goals from Malcolm Macdonald and a third from Alan Slough. Travelled up on the supporters club coach and stood behind the goal at the back of the home end!

Today, I searched a useful site https://www.hattersheritage.co.uk/luton-town-vs-bristol-city-19701971 and came across the match report and a photo of the match programme. There are other photos of the match available on the site. At the time, Luton were pushing for promotion under Alec Stock whilst we were in a relegation fight - they eventually finished 6th while we scraped to safety in 19th above Charlton, Blackburn and Bolton. Earlier in the season, we'd won the home fixture 3-2, going behind in the first half to goals from Macdonald and Viv Busby before a second half Chris Garland inspired fightback. He scored two and set up another for Dickie Rooks.

Thought it may be of interest to some of my fellow old farts.

pdf-preview-Match%20Report_2_48.jpg

Programme: Luton Town vs Bristol City 1970/1971

  • Like 7
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My first visit to Kenilworth Road was on Saturday 3 October 1970 to see City lose 3-0 in a Division Two clash to two first half goals from Malcolm Macdonald and a third from Alan Slough. Travelled up on the supporters club coach and stood behind the goal at the back of the home end!

Today, I searched a useful site https://www.hattersheritage.co.uk/luton-town-vs-bristol-city-19701971 and came across the match report and a photo of the match programme. There are other photos of the match available on the site. At the time, Luton were pushing for promotion under Alec Stock whilst we were in a relegation fight - they eventually finished 6th while we scraped to safety in 19th above Charlton, Blackburn and Bolton. Earlier in the season, we'd won the home fixture 3-2, going behind in the first half to goals from Macdonald and Viv Busby before a second half Chris Garland inspired fightback. He scored two and set up another for Dickie Rooks.

Thought it may be of interest to some of my fellow old farts.

pdf-preview-Match%20Report_2_48.jpg

Programme: Luton Town vs Bristol City 1970/1971

I remember the 3-2 home win vividly. One of the rare occasions when despite being 2-0 down I felt confident we could still win.

What happened to the optimism of my youth?😉

Link to comment

I like the statement from their forum;
 

 ‘What you read on here is 100% conjecture, fiction, lies, bullshit and complete bollocks. If you want to be takenseriously, you are in the wrong place.’ 

Any chance we could have something similar on OTIB? Another alternative would be to have additional badges that are awarded to contributors, e.g.

The Marmite Badge -  hated by some, loved by others

The ITK er Badge - self explanatory 

The Walter Mitty Badge - posts interesting stories but total fantasy 

etc

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

This is our rearranged St Stephen’s Day fixture. Back then Luton we’re two points above us with a game in hand now it’s still a two point difference but they have two games in hand.

It is on the red button.

Kenilworth Road has quite possibly the most odd away entrance of any ground in the EFL. After going down a small alleyway at the side of the stadium, the impression is of queuing to go into someone’s house and then through their back garden before getting to the seated area of the Oak Stand.

They are hoping a new 23,000-seat stadium will be built on the site of a former power station in the centre of Luton, but there are ups and downs with the proposals and earlier this month a decision on the plans to develop the land near the M1 were deferred.

Just for added giggles Andy Davies was going to officiate and this was announced on the day Nigel Pearson was fined £5000 for comments made against him after the QPR match. However, Davies has been removed from the fixture as rules state a referee cannot be appointed to the same team within four weeks unless it's absolutely necessary.

On Saturday The Hatters' five-match unbeaten run came to an end at Bramall Lane as two quickfire Sheffield United strikes early in the second half gave the Blades all three points. Town were already trailing to two goals inside three minutes, when central defender Reece Burke was sent off for pulling Brewster back when he was in on goal with half-an-hour still to play. So he won’t feature tonight.

Their top scorer is Elijah Adebayo with 11 goals in 24 appearances already this season, he joined them in February 2021 from Walsall for an disclosed fee. Defender Kal Naismith and midfielder Jordan Clark have been the other stand-out players.

We are likely to be without James, Atkinson and King. James is recovering from a foot injury, Atkinson is currently suffering with an issue with his back, whilst King could also be forced to watch on from the sidelines due to a hamstring injury.

Have a feeling that H-NM will notch his first City goal tonight.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
Assistant Referee: Akil Howson
Assistant Referee: Michael George
Fourth Official: John Busby

Pubs for away fans include:

  • Bobbers Supporters Club, 101 Oak Road, Luton, LU4 8AA
  • Beech Hill Conservative Club, 18a Leagrave Road, Luton, LU4 8HZ
  • The White House, 1 Bridge Street, Luton, LU1 1SA which is a Wetherspoon outlet, https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/bedfordshire/the-white-house-luton
  • Bricklayers Arms, 16-18 High Town Road, Luton, LU2 0DD. This quirky pub, which has been run by the same landlady for over 30 years, is popular with Hatters fans on match days, has TVs in both bars. The six hand pumps serve a variety of guest beers from breweries all over the nation with a choice of light, amber and usually a mild. Draft Belgian beers and two real ciders are also available.

Last season we drew 1-1 away and lost 2-3 at home against them. Our head to head record is remarkably close we have won 22, lost 22 and drawn 18. They are currently sitting in 13th place on 35 points. Back in September at Ashton Gate it finished 1-1, Baker scored for us and they equalised in stoppage time, the highlights are here: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-bristol-city-1-1-luton-town/

Their fans forum the ‘Luton outlaws’ contains this notice: ‘What you read on here is 100% conjecture, fiction, lies, bullshit and complete bollocks. If you want to be taken seriously, you are in the wrong place.’ It can be viewed here:  https://members.boardhost.com/lutonoutlaws/

In May 2020,Nathan Jones was reappointed as their manager, almost 18 months after originally leaving the club to manage Stoke City. In his first press conference, Jones spoke of his "regret" and "remorse" over the way he initially left the club and that he understood the mixed fan reaction to his exit and return, with hopes that he could earn fans trust back. Jones went on to successfully guide Luton to Championship safety on the final day of the season with a 19th place finish, despite the club being in 23rd place when he re-joined. In the following season, Jones achieved a 12th place finish after gathering 62 points (11 more than us) which was their highest points total in the second tier since the 1981–82 season.

Jones is a devout Christian who credits his faith with getting him through bad times. He has several religious tattoos on his body including praying hands and the crucifixion on his left bicep and forearm, Jesus Christ on his right bicep, and Michaelangelo's 'The Creation of Adam' across his back. "It keeps you grounded. There's a lot of temptations, a lot of pitfalls nowadays, especially for a sportsman – and I think through God's guidance I've been able to steer clear of them. Through the hard times I've always had the stability of the Lord in my life and my family background has kept me on the straight and narrow." Nathan Jones does not hide his faith and is very open to mentioning it during press conferences with the term 'God willing' often being used. Jones is bilingual, able to speak both English and Spanish.

Earlier this month assistant-manager Mick Harford returned to working full-time after completing his course of radiotherapy treatment for prostate cancer before Christmas.

Players that have played for both clubs include Tony Thorpe, Tyreeq Jamal Adeshina Oliveira Bakinson (wow) and Henri Lansbury.

Luton trivia

  • In 2009, Luton were relegated to the Conference for the first time in over 89 years, after a tumultuous few years off the pitch which saw points deductions and administration. It would be a tough baptism of fire in non-league, as the Hatters did not achieve promotion back to League Two until 2014. They participated in two play-off finals whilst in the fifth tier, losing to AFC Wimbledon and York City respectively.
  • In 2013 they became the first non-league side in history to defeat a Premier League team in the FA Cup.They beat Norwich 1- 0 at Carrow Road and eventually advanced to the fifth round of the competition.
  • The Hatters avoided relegation on the final day of the 2019/20 season with a 3-2 win against Blackburn Rovers. They did so with the help of two own goals as they came from behind. Winning three and drawing two of their five games at the end of that season.
  • Luton’s current longest serving player is Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, who has been with the Hatters since their non-league days. The midfielder, who is a fans favourite, has achieved three promotions in that time, scoring in each division from the Conference to the Championship.
  • One of their biggest wins was a 12–0 victory over Bristol Rovers in the Third Division South on 13 April 1936.

 

Geoff Eltringham the referee….

 

We’ve lost this already. 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I have a distinct memory of us losing 2-1 there last season, although it was 1-1 before they scored the winner with a low shot from the edge of the box. I try to forget the opposition’s goals as well. 

Yes, sorry firstdivision, my mistake it was a 2-1 home win.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My first visit to Kenilworth Road was on Saturday 3 October 1970 to see City lose 3-0 in a Division Two clash to two first half goals from Malcolm Macdonald and a third from Alan Slough. Travelled up on the supporters club coach and stood behind the goal at the back of the home end!

Today, I searched a useful site https://www.hattersheritage.co.uk/luton-town-vs-bristol-city-19701971 and came across the match report and a photo of the match programme. There are other photos of the match available on the site. At the time, Luton were pushing for promotion under Alec Stock whilst we were in a relegation fight - they eventually finished 6th while we scraped to safety in 19th above Charlton, Blackburn and Bolton. Earlier in the season, we'd won the home fixture 3-2, going behind in the first half to goals from Macdonald and Viv Busby before a second half Chris Garland inspired fightback. He scored two and set up another for Dickie Rooks.

Thought it may be of interest to some of my fellow old farts.

pdf-preview-Match%20Report_2_48.jpg

Programme: Luton Town vs Bristol City 1970/1971

We got revenge on Malcom Macdonald in 1976, his debut for Arsenal and City win their first top flight match for decades 0-1.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Mental to think it's more than 21 years since we last won at Luton, a game I was at in which Mickey Bell, Lee Peacock and Scott Murray scored second-half goals to earn us a 3-0 win. Was anyone else there that day? I also remember seeing us get dicked 5-0 there a few years' after that. Talk about a bogey ground. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

They may not be at Kenilworth Rd for too much longer. They've completed a land deal which should see them start work quite soon on a new 23,000 seater stadium in the centre of Luton:

New Luton Town stadium moves closer after land sale - BBC News 

The site is about a mile east of Kenilworth Rd. Good to see a new stadium in a central location, instead of being out-of-town.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, tin said:

Mental to think it's more than 21 years since we last won at Luton, a game I was at in which Mickey Bell, Lee Peacock and Scott Murray scored second-half goals to earn us a 3-0 win. Was anyone else there that day? I also remember seeing us get dicked 5-0 there a few years' after that. Talk about a bogey ground. 

I was there. Was it really 21 years ago? Bloody hell!!!!  I seem to remember it was very cold and possibly raining or even snowing or maybe that's just my memory playing tricks.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...