IGNORED

Luton Town away match day thread

7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

As dominant a display for the first 35 mins as I have seen from us in a long time. Just lacking a bit of quick movement and some poor crosses cost us. 

Bad call to play Chris Martin again. He was very good fresh against Cardiff, but expecting him to start again a few days later resulted in a predictable leg weary display. Now he is going to be even more leg weary if selected to start against PNE. 

P1ss poor goal keeping by Max at fault for both goals, as he was for Cardiff's 2nd. Bentley has to come back in.

All that said should have ended 2-2 but for a shockingly poor finish by Wells in injury-time.

Ive said from the beginning that Max is not Championship standard, and is not good enough to be our long term first choice. He is letting in a minimum of two goals every game, and although not all his fault, most are.

• Like 1

We could have won that- certainly didn't deserve to lose.

First half hour thought we were really good, pressing- dominant. Excellent albeit perhaps didn't create enough.

To concece one from a setplay meh, two though- not good. To lose like that very disappointing and yet despite that we could have got something- Wells hits post, reasonable possession and control. Had concerns about the team and injuries but despite that thought we played alright despite the result.

I'm fed up of talking about our lack of physicality and its cost us again tonight although unfortunately i feel Max could and should have helped on both goals.

I thought we played some decent stuff at times and in Scott, Semenyo, Massengo and Pring we've got some real talent. If you add in Kalas, Williams, James and Weimann, we've got the basics of a decent side.

I can certainly see some promising signs although there is plenty of work for Nige to do.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, stephenkibby. said:

If as it seems Pearson doesn't  fancy Bentley then apart from anything else we need a keeper for next season.

I think we'll struggle to get anybody better than the 2 keepers we already have. We could do with another commanding CB like Baker that's our main weakness against teams with tall strikers at the moment.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Blaming Max when they had a free for all from the cross ! The defensive unit is struggling from crosses . We are missing Baker and Atkinson and it is now a struggle back there . keepers don’t come for crosses these days . many could have done better . 

When we are struggling at the back though with a straight ball into the box . Max has to come & clear everyone out there 

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Scott looks the real deal. I'm hoping we keep him in the midfield rather see him push out wide in a wing back role. Very calm on the ball.

I'd take him, Massengo and a fit Williams next season as a midfield three

That with James and King as cover is as good a midfield as I can remember for us. That’s a promotion midfield I honestly believe. Shame Williams is such a big ‘if’ with his injuries because he could be incredible for us.

Can’t comment specifically on the game because I was out & only got back to see the last 15 minutes, which seemed primarily to consist of Luton time wasting.

Bigger issue though is defensively our record is really poor & I can’t remember the last clean sheet.

Weimann is on course for 20 at this rate, he could do with some help by us not conceding so many.

• Like 1

Gutting. Frustrating.

But you know what, somehow optimistic.

Many positives, improvements every game. Really feel we’re going in the right direction. Individual improvements. Quality of play etc 

We know where we need to improve, attributes in the squad we don’t have needed in a few areas, can we do that in the market, hope so. Let’s see next summer.

For now, let’s keep doing what we’re doing. 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Difficult to play in the dark, what terrible lights . I thought we played ok against a side that uses the long ball a lot, but we do need to defend stronger.

? I thought that. My son asked if there was a power problem when we first turned it on.

10 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

All that said should have ended 2-2 but for a shockingly poor finish by Wells in injury-time.

Agreed, but I actually thought Weimann’s miss a few minutes earlier, when he hoofed it over the bar, was worse.

For all the obvious problems we had defending against five large Luton players within the six-yard box, we had enough chances to at least have come away with a draw.  We have a weakened defence, but a full strength attack don’t forget.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Ive said from the beginning that Max is not Championship standard, and is not good enough to be our long term first choice. He is letting in a minimum of two goals every game, and although not all his fault, most are.

Disagree. He has to improve collecting crosses but he's young for a keeper and as a number 2 is more than adequate. We need a dominant CB most importantly. That's the real issue 

• Like 3

Kalas was outstanding again tonight. Brilliant first 35 mins, they were there for the taking & just not clinical enough. Def need a reinforcement or 2, lucky Vyner could play on or may have seen Martin at the back! 
Enjoying watching us now though, you can see there’s progress & a plan, it’s gonna take time & be frustrating with more nights like this, but compared to 12 Months ago, we are starting to look dangerous & were unlucky tonight. That last chance goes in from Wells & a draw would have been the least we’d deserve. Move on, keep pushing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
14 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Last 3 games we’ve conceded 2 goals a game to desperately poor sides and 6 goals to an outstanding side. Terrifying stats. We need a new defensive strategy  pronto- at least one new face and, frankly, much better coaching and managerial organisation. ‘Too good to go down ‘ is a mantra of at least half the teams who go down. Yes, some excellent displays from some young prospects, but overall this is probably the softest City side I’ve seen in 50 years- and at a time when we have a hard man for a manager!

Maybe you were in a fugee state in the 1980's when we hit the bottom of the fourth division :)

• Like 1

I've got to say, I thought Vyner did pretty good today. There was a couple of times he could have been smarter with his challenges in their with their 8ft striker, but on the ground, his tackles were excellent and his passes were good, including the one that led to our goal.

He's not the answer, but for all the stick he gets, today was a good performance from him in general.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think we'll struggle to get anybody better than the 2 keepers we already have. We could do with another commanding CB like Baker that's our main weakness against teams with tall strikers at the moment.

Strongly disagree

by virtue of the position there are always keepers looking for game time and if we cannot find at least one keeper to come in who has better leadership and command of the box than our current selection then our scouting must by non existent

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I think some of the comments on O’Leary are ridiculous . You need to watch that again . They had 3 players in front of goal with all of our defence the wrong side .it looks like we were playing in white if you see the behind goal view.  Kalas loses the main threat , who misses the header ,but  their player climbs over Massengo and heads into the path of 2 unmarked players . The initial cross was more penalty spot , certainly not 6 yard box . Max could not have come for the initial cross . No keeper would be told to go that far out and risk leaving goal unmarked . They got players unmarked in front of our defence and in front of Max. Could Max have got to the second ball , maybe but not easy as there were 2 players , Luton not ours in front of him . 

Was a complete defensive shambles of which Max was one part but certainly not the scape goat suggested . You need to look at it frame by frame . 

But City fans need to blame someone . Vyner gets a night off . 

The first goal was clearly Maxs fault among others. He ran out to where the cross landed and ran back again ffs.

Second goal he looked pretty blameless to me except zero presence

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I think some of the comments on O’Leary are ridiculous . You need to watch that again . They had 3 players in front of goal with all of our defence the wrong side .it looks like we were playing in white if you see the behind goal view.  Kalas loses the main threat , who misses the header ,but  their player climbs over Massengo and heads into the path of 2 unmarked players . The initial cross was more penalty spot , certainly not 6 yard box . Max could not have come for the initial cross . No keeper would be told to go that far out and risk leaving goal unmarked . They got players unmarked in front of our defence and in front of Max. Could Max have got to the second ball , maybe but not easy as there were 2 players , Luton not ours in front of him . 

Was a complete defensive shambles of which Max was one part but certainly not the scape goat suggested . You need to look at it frame by frame . 

I don’t think it’s a personal vendetta but I would like to think even Max would hold his hand up to second one and just say ‘I should have just fallen on it’.

He isn’t that brave, thats fine. 

It’s like play Top Trumps, he scores highly elsewhere.

It’s just an observation of the facts.

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Don’t get the criticism of Wells. Did more than Martin did in a 10 minute cameo.

Can actually see the green shoots. The quality of some of our play was exceptional. 

If you watch Wells closely you can see what Pearson is getting at. 

Martin talks to Antoine, almost puts an arm around him.

Wells just bollocks him.

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

B4C4EBC8-058B-4857-9238-8438785C0C9A.jpeg

Thank you. Was going to post something similar. It’s an ok cross, but the three players challenging for it are all theirs, with our closest being HM. Too far out to come for goalie, and then just a scramble. He heads it straight in and no blame on the goalie. Then just a scramble. Entirely on our lack of defensive organisation.

Much more to blame for the first goal in my book. Ball is in the air a long time, and I would be expecting a goalie to catch or at least punch.

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Could Max have got to the second ball , maybe but not easy as there were 2 players , Luton not ours in front of him . 

Disagree.

Cross is telegraphed, stays in the air an age, he takes a few steps forward but then backs out.

A goalkeeper advancing with reach advantage is infinitely better placed to deal with situations like that than defenders who are back tracking under pressure.

I haven’t read this thread so no idea if some have gone OTT but it was a poor mistake from a good, young, goalkeeper which, I think it would be fair to suggest, went a long way to costing us the game.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Banjo Red said:

Has to be said max is not the answer.

Defence is shocking.

I think that’s harsh on the defence. Defence was pretty solid except 2 lapses. 1st one vyner off the pitch and no one took charge to sort the marking. 2nd was about the only thing Cam Pring did wrong all night letting the ball under his foot, and then made the cardinal sin of compounding one mistake with a second and giving a silly foul away.