IGNORED

Luton Town away match day thread

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I think some of the comments on O’Leary are ridiculous . You need to watch that again . They had 3 players in front of goal with all of our defence the wrong side .it looks like we were playing in white if you see the behind goal view.  Kalas loses the main threat , who misses the header ,but  their player climbs over Massengo and heads into the path of 2 unmarked players . The initial cross was more penalty spot , certainly not 6 yard box . Max could not have come for the initial cross . No keeper would be told to go that far out and risk leaving goal unmarked . They got players unmarked in front of our defence and in front of Max. Could Max have got to the second ball , maybe but not easy as there were 2 players , Luton not ours in front of him . 

Was a complete defensive shambles of which Max was one part but certainly not the scape goat suggested . You need to look at it frame by frame . 

But City fans need to blame someone . Vyner gets a night off . 

B4C4EBC8-058B-4857-9238-8438785C0C9A.jpeg

The irony was the sky commentator just said we were man to man marking, cross comes in and Luton have 4 v1.

Whilst not max fault not sure he has covered himself with glory either. 

Those saying about how poor Bents is have forgot have many games he kept us in last year. Been generally happy with max but would put Bents back in.

Very enjoyable performance  credit should be given to Luton how well they defended balls into the box, something we can't do.

2 minutes ago, S_C said:

Disagree.

Cross is telegraphed, stays in the air an age, he takes a few steps forward but then backs out.

A goalkeeper advancing with reach advantage is infinitely better placed to deal with situations like that than defenders who are back tracking under pressure.

I haven’t read this thread so no idea if some have gone OTT but it was a poor mistake from a good, young, goalkeeper which, I think it would be fair to suggest, went a long way to costing us the game.

And bare in mind if he comes for the second cross it’s highly likely he would get a fouled anyway as you can’t touch keepers these days - it was surley a better option than staying rooted to the line 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I think some of the comments on O’Leary are ridiculous . You need to watch that again . They had 3 players in front of goal with all of our defence the wrong side .it looks like we were playing in white if you see the behind goal view.  Kalas loses the main threat , who misses the header ,but  their player climbs over Massengo and heads into the path of 2 unmarked players . The initial cross was more penalty spot , certainly not 6 yard box . Max could not have come for the initial cross . No keeper would be told to go that far out and risk leaving goal unmarked . They got players unmarked in front of our defence and in front of Max. Could Max have got to the second ball , maybe but not easy as there were 2 players , Luton not ours in front of him . 

Was a complete defensive shambles of which Max was one part but certainly not the scape goat suggested . You need to look at it frame by frame . 

Ok slightly harsh on max maybe but the picture below is the initial ball in. It comes in forty yards out . Admittedly he’s unchallenged by our defence . Could max have come & cleared him out though . He has no bodies to go through here. 

Agree we’re all the wrong side defensively 

C6CCB2E7-A46B-41A7-96C2-D92691963290.jpeg

2A6A901C-1A96-41EB-AFA8-228D40BCD5D8.jpeg

Edited by steviestevieneville

Probably a bit rose tinted but I’m not as disappointed as the last few times I’ve watched City live.

Firstly thought it was a pretty enjoyable game to watch. Our play at times was really good - playing out the back with one touch football, some good composure and a much clearer identity to our play. Worlds apart from earlier in the season.

Conway looked lively, shame he slipped twice after beating his man. Definitely got a bit about him

• Like 8
32 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

I almost wish Williams was rubbish, he looks so good that the angst of him breaking down again is giving me palpitations. 

Spot on! Sums up how I feel as well. You’re just wishing him to get through every challenge as he looks great every time you see him. 

22 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Haven’t watched it back, bar the initial replay of it.  You can’t let your opponent get ahead of you.  You’re right, Adebayo goalside of Kalas, and they’re running towards us.  Nigh on impossible to clear from there.

Poor defending, but not Max’s fault.

First goal, Vyner off the pitch, that’s crucial.  Not blaming him, but I’m there watching on tv and saying “don’t get the physio on, don’t get him on”, because you won’t be able to be on the pitch for the corner.  Little things, bit of nous!  Even if you can’t run, wait until after the corner, then go down, etc.

Im sure some will be suggesting putting men on the posts for corners, but that’s two less markers, so how does that help.

Don’t get me wrong we need to improve our defensive set-pieces as up until Xmas we were hugely improved in this area.  No Baker, no Atkinson, might mean a change in approach, because that was dependent on 3 big men  (Kalas, Atkinson / Baker and Martin) plus Weimann with 6 runners / blockers / markers.  Atkinson missing weakens us.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, S_C said:

Disagree.

Cross is telegraphed, stays in the air an age, he takes a few steps forward but then backs out.

A goalkeeper advancing with reach advantage is infinitely better placed to deal with situations like that than defenders who are back tracking under pressure.

I haven’t read this thread so no idea if some have gone OTT but it was a poor mistake from a good, young, goalkeeper which, I think it would be fair to suggest, went a long way to costing us the game.

@billywedlock

Sorry, not sure if I’ve misinterpreted which goal we were talking about here..

What I’ve said above is in reference to the first goal.

The second goal I’d be less critical of him, more questioning what the plan was as the initial cross took three of our defenders out of the game (Martin, O’Dowda plus one other). Was an absolute shambles.

• Admin
59 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Understandably lots of anger and frustration about the two poor goals we conceded. However, based on our overall performance we were certainly worth at least a point IMO.

Well played the traveling fans.

I know it’s too late and in vain but can we please refrain from scapegoating anyone…we win, draw and lose together.

Agree in some ways but the final third is awful again, doesn't matter how much possession we had, we never looked like scoring. 

Great support there tonight though 

• Hmmm 2
7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Disagree . No keeper comes that far out for that type of cross these days . Too risky as it leaves the goal open . Rare in the Prem too. First goal different discussion . Second goal defenders went awol. Since when does a defender back track for a set piece ! that’s a new approach to defending . They got goal side in numbers , 3 maybe 4 . That is ridiculous defending . Watch it again properly from the behind the goal images . Awful set piece defending by the collective . it is why we are trying to sign a CB . 

Yes, agree. Wires crossed as per previous reply. In my opinion he’s at fault for the first whilst the second was just generally shambolic.

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Putting tonight's result to one side, imagine the team we'll be once Pearson has had the time and money to sort our joke defence out. 

A new tall bloke to win some headers in our box might be a good start...

Agree.

Think we have a few decisions to make as the window closes;

Does Cundy have a future with us? At 6ft 3 he is an option against the likes of Luton if so.

Although the window doesn’t affect him as a free agent, Klose at 6ft 4 is obviously the other possibility, so how soon would he be match fit & wages are the other two considerations.

Have a hunch it is him or no one this month.

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Agree in some ways but the final third is awful again, doesn't matter how much possession we had, we never looked like scoring. 

Great support there tonight though 

Yep, I agree on both points. We knew from the start of the season that scoring was going to be a major challenge and so it has been.

Typical. We ran the game for large periods but couldn’t score or barely create any decent chances but it’s somehow O’Leary’s fault that two dwarves were left defending two giants at the back post and we lost a hoof into the air after conceding a needless free kick for the second. 

God I could bloody scream sometimes. 

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

defending . They got goal side in numbers , 3 maybe 4 .

Think this is risking looking like a habit, same problem for Cardiff’s 2nd on Saturday, lots of theirs goal side of ours. That said, agree with the view that maybe we need to adapt with Atkinson and Baker out. First goal tonight Scott lost his man, doubt anyone is expecting him to be our top defender of set pieces, so think a fair bit is down to circumstances and being shorthanded at the back. Pretty much guarantees Martin his place and a fit Williams will help as well, but a defensive aerial threat is much needed. Any chance the next Academy cab off the rank is the love child of Terry Butcher and Shaun Taylor? 

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

If I were to be critical at all. I would be wondering how a unit like Cundy could be playing in the U23s when we were so obviously buggered defensively. Unless he is utter dross. Someone let me know!? (Not even on the bench!!??)

I watched the u23s on Robinstv earlier.  I would say he’s still easing his way back into playing after a long lay off.  He really didn’t extend himself at any point of the game, suggesting he’s a little way off yet.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree.

Think we have a few decisions to make as the window closes;

Does Cundy have a future with us? At 6ft 3 he is an option against the likes of Luton if so.

Although the window doesn’t affect him as a free agent, Klose at 6ft 4 is obviously the other possibility, so how soon would he be match fit & wages are the other two considerations.

Have a hunch it is him or no one this month.

No to Cundy. He's a red herring in our search for Baker's replacement. Or anyone's for that matter. Imo.

Who knows if Klose is fit enough. Seems unlikely to me. But I'd still take him, given the options currently on our books. Which says it all ! 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I watched the u23s on Robinstv earlier.  I would say he’s still easing his way back into playing after a long lay off.  He really didn’t extend himself at any point of the game, suggesting he’s a little way off yet.

?? However. We had the serially under extended Danny Simpson as our only defensive alternative against a team of dead ball pumpers.

I do get the long game thing and I guess that is what the decision was to not to at least have him there in case we needed to defend that late. 

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No to Cundy. He's a red herring in our search for Baker's replacement. Or anyone's for that matter. Imo.

Who knows if Klose is fit enough. Seems unlikely to me. But I'd still take him, given the options currently on our books. Which says it all ! 

Pearson shares your view, I think & I don’t expect him to start next season with us.

Next few days will be interesting, my hunch is they will be quiet, but we’ll have to make a decision on Klose at some point.

• Like 1

Missed opportunity tonight to really consolidate. Bentley makes a difference? Maybe. Baker and Kalas together don't make those mistakes? Maybe. I'd argue that a couple of gnarly pro's at centre half don't make those mistakes. Glen 'Psycho' Humphries and Shaun Taylor back there, and we comfortably see the game out. We still have a soft underbelly and that is our consistent undoing.

• Like 1