IGNORED

Van Morrison , Bristol Hippodrome

1960maaan

Wasn't sure how to title this as it could end as a bit of a ramble.

Firstly, at £80 they were the most expensive tickets I've got for a Gig. Was debating it, but with the chances of seeing him probably running out I thought I'd do it. I'd heard he can be a bit temperamental , so had put off seeing him. His stance against Masks/vaccines/restrictions didn't help, but as a music fan I'd wanted to see hm for a while.

I'll have to mention the venue. Seated obviously, so not the greatest for a Gig, but with this type of performer, not too bad. Great view and acoustics , but what stands out is the absolute paranoia over phones. You are not allowed to take photos, signs everywhere, and that's fine. The staff have torches that they use to point out any "law breakers" , one guy near me was told "this is the second time I've told you", not sure if it was 3 strikes and out. It is so strict , that a woman next to us, using her phone light to search for something in het bag, was also highlighted and warned.

Anyway, the Gig. His voice is still brilliant, and TBF I like a lot of his newer stuff & the Wife enjoyed it too. The band were brilliant, the backing singer amazing, each one did solos at different times. What was new/odd, there was literally no time between songs, it was one done and on to the next. The Bass player left it strapped to his back as he also played the Double Bass and at the end of one song, he had just enough time, to drop the Double Bass and swing his Guitar around to start the next song. Morrison looks like a control freak, pointing to each member as their solo is due, beating out the time as though the Drummer had missed something and at one point, the woman on Xylophone/Vocals/Keyboard/Tom Toms stepped away from the Tom Toms and he quickly pointed that out in the middle of a song, waving his arm to the rhythm she was supposed to be hitting. 

My usual triggers were in place. People coming in late (some about 30 mins), talking loudly, going out for drinks. If I pay to see a band I don't want to miss any, go early and get a few drinks, listen to the music or respect others by not talking loudly, the strict camera thing was good though.

Last complaint, and a heads up for anyone going to something at the Hippodrome soon.
COVID passes needed, fine. I knew before hand so prepared.
Tickets. The link sent me to ticketmaster (Same for Ticketline apparently) who provided phone only QR codes that would arrive 3 days before the event. Except they didn't, and finding a contact was next to impossible. ATG aren't interested so used social media, which was pointless as posts got lost in a sea of complaints about missing refunds that Ticketmaster are holding . Finally sorted tickets about 11am. 
Not the end though.
Hippodrome can't scan Ticketmaster QR codes, so queued only to be sent away from the doors to the Box Office to get my "non Printable " tickets printed out. TBF they let us straight into the Bar when we sorted it. 
It was just as well we allowed time for a beer, other wise we could have been late, maybe I was a bit harsh on those late comers I mentioned earlier.

Very good, if a little bit strange Gig. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Firstly, at £80 they were the most expensive tickets I've got for a Gig. Was debating it, but with the chances of seeing him probably running out I thought I'd do it. I'd heard he can be a bit temperamental , so had put off seeing him. His stance against Masks/vaccines/restrictions didn't help, but as a music fan I'd wanted to see hm for a while.

I'll have to mention the venue. Seated obviously, so not the greatest for a Gig, but with this type of performer, not too bad. Great view and acoustics , but what stands out is the absolute paranoia over phones. You are not allowed to take photos, signs everywhere, and that's fine. The staff have torches that they use to point out any "law breakers" , one guy near me was told "this is the second time I've told you", not sure if it was 3 strikes and out. It is so strict , that a woman next to us, using her phone light to search for something in het bag, was also highlighted and warned.

Anyway, the Gig. His voice is still brilliant, and TBF I like a lot of his newer stuff & the Wife enjoyed it too. The band were brilliant, the backing singer amazing, each one did solos at different times. What was new/odd, there was literally no time between songs, it was one done and on to the next. The Bass player left it strapped to his back as he also played the Double Bass and at the end of one song, he had just enough time, to drop the Double Bass and swing his Guitar around to start the next song. Morrison looks like a control freak, pointing to each member as their solo is due, beating out the time as though the Drummer had missed something and at one point, the woman on Xylophone/Vocals/Keyboard/Tom Toms stepped away from the Tom Toms and he quickly pointed that out in the middle of a song, waving his arm to the rhythm she was supposed to be hitting. 

My usual triggers were in place. People coming in late (some about 30 mins), talking loudly, going out for drinks. If I pay to see a band I don't want to miss any, go early and get a few drinks, listen to the music or respect others by not talking loudly, the strict camera thing was good though.

Last complaint, and a heads up for anyone going to something at the Hippodrome soon.
Tickets. The link sent me to ticketmaster (Same for Ticketline apparently) who provided phone only QR codes that would arrive 3 days before the event. Except they didn't, and finding a contact was next to impossible. ATG aren't interested so used social media, which was pointless as posts got lost in a sea of complaints about missing refunds that Ticketmaster are holding . Finally sorted tickets about 11am. 
Not the end though.
Hippodrome can't scan Ticketmaster QR codes, so queued only to be sent away from the doors to the Box Office to get my "non Printable " tickets printed out. TBF they let us straight into the Bar when we sorted it. 
It was just as well we allowed time for a beer, other wise we could have been late, maybe I was a bit harsh on those late comers I mentioned earlier.

Interesting report.  I’ve had a bit of interaction with Van Morrison over the years, particularly back in the 80s, and I have to say that he was not a nice man to work with, and just about the only person I’ve talked to since who had a good word to say for him was the legendary sax player Pee Wee Ellis (who sadly died recently).  Pee Wee was such a lovely bloke that if he liked him it was hard to feel that Van didn’t have a better side - maybe he’s mellowed with age?

• Like 1

Love some of old music, his newer stuff isn't for me though. Heard he's a bit of an arrogant sod, a bit of an arse, and his recent COVID views doesn't help this. 

Saw him back in March 2020 just before lockdown, doing a charity gig with Eric Clapton, Tom Jones, Mick Hucknall etc. Still got his voice, unlike some others who "performed" cough Paul Young cough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Not the end though.

Should have stayed at home and listened to Astral Weeks with a few beers ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

maybe he’s mellowed with age?

I'm not sure he has. 
The only comparison I can think of is Paul Weller. Both have been in bands, and although they are Solo artists have/need  bands around them.
Weller seems to sort his band and let them get on with it, VM at times was like a conductor. I may be being unfair, but it did seem he was watching every move they made.

Like I said, wanted to see him and it was enjoyable. I wouldn't pay that to see him again though.

• Like 2

Saw Van Morrison a few times in the late 80s/early 90s after being wowed by his performance at Glastonbury back in 1989.  He is always tight but very grumpy in general and I've heard that he's a stickler for perfection a la James Brown (fines the band for any little mistake).

But he has written some brilliant stuff in his day, Moondance, St Dominic's Preview and Avalon Sunset being 3 examples.  Based on your review, I might give his newer stuff a go.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ve had a bit of interaction with Van Morrison over the years, particularly back in the 80s, and I have to say that he was not a nice man to work with, and just about the only person I’ve talked to since who had a good word to say for him was the legendary sax player Pee Wee Ellis (who sadly died recently).  Pee Wee was such a lovely bloke that if he liked him it was hard to feel that Van didn’t have a better side - maybe he’s mellowed with age?

That's sad to hear. I saw him performing with Get The Blessing in the Colston Hall foyer a few years back. Very talented sax player for sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Selred said:

Love some of old music, his newer stuff isn't for me though. Heard he's a bit of an arrogant sod, a bit of an arse, and his recent COVID views doesn't help this. 

Saw him back in March 2020 just before lockdown, doing a charity gig with Eric Clapton, Tom Jones, Mick Hucknall etc. Still got his voice, unlike some others who "performed" cough Paul Young cough.

I saw him a good while back with Bob Dylan and the show was brilliant. Met him once in Bristol Airport and he was just a pig ignorant arse to all and sundry.

Van Morrison is or at least was an odd character. Way back in the early 80s He played Glastonbury and I was employed as a nurse in the medical centre - it meant that I got free entry and got to see various acts in including Van Morrison. However as staff we were told not to look at him as he approached the stage……he apparently found people looking at him intrusive…………Odd as he was just about to go on stage in front of hundreds of people……………..:dunno:

Edited by Robbored