IGNORED

ELVIS COSTELLO - The Boy Named If

Vespa Red

My interest in our Dec took an upswing after I read his autobiography Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink a couple of years ago.  Although quite a bit of the book is about his father and EC's relationship with him, he comes across as a man who you'd like if you met. His philosophy on life, his love of all types of music, his humour and view-of-self are things you would look for in a friend. 

52 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My interest in our Dec took an upswing after I read his autobiography Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink a couple of years ago.  Although quite a bit of the book is about his father and EC's relationship with him, he comes across as a man who you'd like if you met. His philosophy on life, his love of all types of music, his humour and view-of-self are things you would look for in a friend. 

I bet that his phone must be full of brilliant musical contacts!

• Like 1

On 25/01/2022 at 13:27, Vespa Red said:

Good album.  I highly recommend. 

That is all.

I am tempted. Lost interest a bit in his later career but the bits I've heard sounded good.

I was going to get tickets for Bath, the MRs likes him too so I thought why not. Until I saw front row tickets were £170 each. Think I'll give it a miss, still getting over the cost of Van Morrison tickets ?

On 25/01/2022 at 13:27, Vespa Red said:

Good album.  I highly recommend. 

That is all.

I love it, it's effortlessly brilliant.

On 25/01/2022 at 14:07, Offside said:

Yes, it’s really good. Much better than his last one, which I really couldn’t get into. 

Get Happy!!! remains my favourite album of his.

Hey Clockface? I think there are some great tracks on there, he seemed to throw the idea that you have to be young to be angry out the window. 

On 27/01/2022 at 19:13, KURTZ said:

Imperial Bedroom is a very good Album.

The absolute classic, some of the greatest lyrics ever written by an Englishman in my opinion.

22 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I loved that book (I listened to the audio version), his story about the charity gig where he and Steve Nieve had to follow Bob Dylan on stage had me in fits.

On 25/01/2022 at 16:07, Vespa Red said:

King of America for me although Blood and Chocolate and This Year's Model run it close

Strange thing about King of America is that it has 3 of my favourite all time EC tracks on it (Little Palaces, American Without Tears and Suit of Lights) , but the rest of the album leaves me cold really. I would put Brutal Youth high in my list of favourite albums, it was the last with Attractions and apparently there was some real tension between him and Bruce Thomas but that seemed to give it an edge to me.

34 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I am tempted. Lost interest a bit in his later career but the bits I've heard sounded good.

I was going to get tickets for Bath, the MRs likes him too so I thought why not. Until I saw front row tickets were £170 each. Think I'll give it a miss, still getting over the cost of Van Morrison tickets ?

I'll be there, I have lost track of how many times I have seen him live (even saw him in Boston Massachusetts once) he's always worth every penny, a great entertainer and raconteur.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I'll be there, I have lost track of how many times I have seen him live (even saw him in Boston Massachusetts once) he's always worth every penny, a great entertainer and raconteur.

Not seen him since Punch the Clock Tour, which was excellent.

I was due to see him in Cardiff back in 2020 just as Covid hit so it was postponed (and not rearranged).  Sadly, I am not planning any gigs for the time being (I don't go to the football either despite having a season ticket) as my wife's cancer is progressing otherwise I might have looked at either Bath or Swansea as options.

Some things though are more important.

19 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

I was due to see him in Cardiff back in 2020 just as Covid hit so it was postponed (and not rearranged).  Sadly, I am not planning any gigs for the time being (I don't go to the football either despite having a season ticket) as my wife's cancer is progressing otherwise I might have looked at either Bath or Swansea as options.

Some things though are more important.

Quite right. My best wishes to Mrs VR. I've been through cancer and come out the other side. It's a ******* shitshow. 

• Like 1