IGNORED

Andi Weimann

GrahamC

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

On 14 goals in 28 starts after last night, no penalties (what are they?) or free kicks are included in that tally, so he’s already scored the highest number of goals in a season for us since Bobby Reid back in 2017/18 & if he stays fit then he needs 5 more in the last 18 games to match him.

Not bad for someone who was the constant source of criticism from one podcast, eh? Where someone seriously once used the phrase “not quite stealing a living” about him..

Brilliant professional who always puts the team first, fantastic value for money at £2m & the decision to get him to sign a new contract on much lower terms last summer looks to be a better one by the week.

Surely his performance will be affected by how the team is set up and players around him? I haven't subscribed to this opinion of him but there were times I felt his energy was misplaced or wasted, mainly because of who else was in the team, and how we were playing.

I think Semenyo has given him a chance to shine. 

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

On 14 goals in 28 starts after last night, no penalties (what are they?) or free kicks are included in that tally, so he’s already scored the highest number of goals in a season for us since Bobby Reid back in 2017/18 & if he stays fit then he needs 5 more in the last 18 games to match him.

Not bad for someone who was the constant source of criticism from one podcast, eh? Where someone seriously once used the phrase “not quite stealing a living” about him..

Brilliant professional who always puts the team first, fantastic value for money at £2m & the decision to get him to sign a new contract on much lower terms last summer looks to be a better one by the week.

I don’t know which podcast you’re referring to but I expect I won’t be winning any prizes if I was to guess correctly that it’s Forever Bristol City?! 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In a 3412, I call that an AM (attacking midfielder)….some would call that a no10.  Not playing as a forward imho, but you / others may see it differently.

Whether as an ACM, or simply up front, that is where he has mainly played this season and it shows in his goal return.

He is not good when asked to play wide in a midfield 4, as he offers little help to his fullback in a 4-4-2 and naturally drifts inside anyway so doesn't provide a wide attacking outlet either. LJ all too often asked him to play that role, NP rarely has.

Edited by old_eastender

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Indeed. A superb player at this level, gives his all for our shirt and his goal scoring record this season speaks for itself.

• Like 3

Have you noticed that he's now usually not leathering the ball as hard as he can. Maybe he was guilty of that with the one that went over the bar in the second half last night, but yeah in general he's taken it back from 11 to 10, and he's managed to do much better as a result. Well done Andi.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Be great and a just reward for his all-round effort and improved finishing if he could get to 20 league goals for the season. I think only Tammy and Nicky Maynard have hit 20 at this level since I've been watching City. 

Another example of an experienced coach knowing how best to utilise a player, after our last two coaches not having a clue or offering Weimann consistent direction for a sustained period of time.

The combination through our vanity driven transfer policy, of signing players who looked exciting but did not fit our style of play or system, and then messing about week after week blindly hoping for it to all click with no real vision is what has cost us in the last 4 years.

Its what happens when you buy greyhounds and put them in horserace, then act with bemusement and shift accountability onto the squad - which ultimately leads to a disconnect between players and fans.

Makes you think what could have happened had we had someone with genuine football knowledge solely responsible for splashing our cash all over the place when we were primed to push on.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

Weimann's been brilliant so far this season and there's no reason why he shouldn't get 20 league goals if he stays fit. He's on track for 23 at this rate, which would be an excellent return. No doubt he's benefiting from a manager who knows a) his best position, and b) how to get the best out of him.

Edited by tin
  • Like 2

Best striker at the Gate since Bobby, what a season Andi is having. I'd love to see him hit that 20 mark and maybe even grab a couple more. There's been some real tough moments this season but a few brilliant rays of light too, Andi has absolutely been the latter.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I am very much aware of the podcast/er/s who have issues with our players, who include ODowda, Vyner, Weimann, O’Leary, Massengo, Martin, Semenyo, well pretty much all of our players really our manager that’s been tasked with building a team from the academy with hardly a penny to spend and if I were the ball boys I’d be waiting for the unwarranted attack on me. 

For now I have stopped with all of them. I’ll listen to sound of the City but after that the range is smarty arse through to tired old men with nothing to say outside of blaming players for their failed lives. 

46 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Top Scorers in the league minus goals scored from penalties:

Mitrovic - 23

Solanke - 16

Bereton - 16

Wieman - 14

The top three also happen to play for the top three clubs in the league. Shows how impressive AW's stats are. 

You can’t argue those can you. Lower mid table club with a guy that could get twenty. But It doesn’t count apparently if you get more than one in a game!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Another example of an experienced coach knowing how best to utilise a player, after our last two coaches not having a clue or offering Weimann consistent direction for a sustained period of time.

The combination through our vanity driven transfer policy, of signing players who looked exciting but did not fit our style of play or system, and then messing about week after week blindly hoping for it to all click with no real vision is what has cost us in the last 4 years.

Its what happens when you buy greyhounds and put them in horserace, then act with bemusement and shift accountability onto the squad - which ultimately leads to a disconnect between players and fans.

Makes you think what could have happened had we had someone with genuine football knowledge solely responsible for splashing our cash all over the place when we were primed to push on.

Holden started last season with Weimann playing as the attacking midfielder in a 3 (almost exactly as he is now), behind Martin and Wells. We won the first 4 then he got injured, out for the season. And it’s taken Nige a while to work out this position really suits AW (although TBF he was playing well up front as well).

9 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Holden started last season with Weimann playing as the attacking midfielder in a 3 (almost exactly as he is now), behind Martin and Wells. We won the first 4 then he got injured, out for the season. And it’s taken Nige a while to work out this position really suits AW (although TBF he was playing well up front as well).

I thought Holden tried to played him more as a number 8 in a 3. He is also coming from areas that he was not during Holdens start last season.

Appreciate your view, but his position, and our shape and fluidity are miles away from the early Holden days.

• Like 1