IGNORED

Preston worth a look on Wednesday as we play them Saturday?

Never to the dark side

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not watching but notice they are a goal up at WBA- seem to have had more chances and possession too, think Lowe has them playing a more expansive brand but we'll see come Saturday.

Yep. I watched the last 15 minutes of the first half, and PNE are passing the ball well and look pretty comfortable against WBA's (awful) direct approach. WBA inevitably booed off at h/t.

• Thanks 1

Fulham pulling away- although still time for it to change- is roughly in line with my expectations.

West Brom are an interesting one, Ismael tactically isn't a manager who- at least at Barnsley- had them dominating the ball which is what you would expect West Brom to be like to some extent. His style of play for a side aiming for top 2 isn't a great fit- they also have a relatively thin squad- Bournemouth do as well despite some of the players in it, Fulham depth wise are the best in the division probably.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As it stands Ismael is doing a pretty poor job. Would not surprise me if he gets the boot.

A WBA fan at work told me they have wanted him gone for weeks. Very one dimensional and unrest among the players for the style they are playing. Who could be a shout to replace him? Big Jokanovic?

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

A WBA fan at work told me they have wanted him gone for weeks. Very one dimensional and unrest among the players for the style they are playing. Who could be a shout to replace him? Big Jokanovic?

That was my concern at start of season, would players of alleged “quality”, used to playing more of an attractive style, buy into a Uber-direct style over the course of a season.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fulham pulling away- although still time for it to change- is roughly in line with my expectations.

West Brom are an interesting one, Ismael tactically isn't a manager who- at least at Barnsley- had them dominating the ball which is what you would expect West Brom to be like to some extent. His style of play for a side aiming for top 2 isn't a great fit- they also have a relatively thin squad- Bournemouth do as well despite some of the players in it, Fulham depth wise are the best in the division probably.

I posted earlier today, 

Would I have wanted Steve Cooper to take over instead. Maybe, particularly how Forest have progressed under him. But the club, the situation and squad of players he took over can’t be compared. Would he have coped with the constraints and demands of our board and owners? I’ve still to be totally won over by NP, but in the last month have seen the possibilities of what his ideal side could play like.

Hmmm, on second thoughts maybe Ryan Lowe...? Ha, no let NP finish what he’s started. But fair play to Lowe, he seems to have an effect wherever he’s been and looks to be adapting well moving up the league levels. When his name was banded around for us, there seemed a good split of only “lower league proven” to “up and coming young coach” opinions on this forum. Will be interested to see how he develops, but certainly a decent start to hics Championship managerial career.

Saturday should be interesting. Would love to see Nige have all his squad to be fully fit to pick from soon, think we could really give people a game if the team can all start to click and we continue to try to play as we have the last few games, minus the giant mistakes of course!. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Funny that Ian Gay is no longer saying we should’ve got Ismael in the summer, he’s now moved on to Cooper. ??‍♂️

Always one constant with him. What we have and do is never good enough. (Actually I think that is two constants isn’t it.)

Edited by GreedyHarry
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Funny that Ian Gay is no longer saying we should’ve got Ismael in the summer, he’s now moved on to Cooper. ??‍♂️

Ismael was always an odd choice, West Brom supporters (the brief Pulis era aside & they hated him, too) always had managers who played with swagger & flair.

The Bryan Robson, Regis & Cunningham era might be long ago but that’s the football they want, not long ball caveman shite served up like Barnsley did.

If you win playing that rubbish you get away with it, as soon as you don’t, supporters turn on you.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

Pro NP but at least were we under Cooper we might get a few penalties or at least one every now and then. :) 

Quick check suggests Nottingham Forest have had 3 in 20 League games under him. Seem to recall Swansea getting a lot in a row last year, all quite soft.

We've had one from 1st November 2020 to present, in the League.

Swansea over his 2 seasons there averaged 6 a season in the League. Unsure if Wiki shows only successful penalties or all of them.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pro NP but at least were we under Cooper we might get a few penalties or at least one every now and then. :) 

Quick check suggests Nottingham Forest have had 3 in 20 League games under him. Seem to recall Swansea getting a lot in a row last year, all quite soft.

Swansea over his 2 seasons there averaged 6 a season in the League. Unsure if Wiki shows only successful penalties or all of them.

Andre Ayew leaving must have harmed Swansea’s numbers, serial diver.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To be fair . For the last couple of years until fairly recently , we’ve hardly got into the box to get a penalty 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

1 hour ago, GreedyHarry said:

Always one constant with him. What we have and do is never good enough. (Actually I think that is two constants isn’t it.)

Let's be honest, the one person that Ian Gay really wants as manager is himself.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Helps when your dad was a referee doesn’t it ?

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

Used to like listening to his views hes lost the plot now playing blokes out of position trying players in positions they've never played and stats and possession thats all he talks about :laugh:.

Edited by RobintheRed Red