IGNORED

Recruitment - Huddersfield

Davefevs

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, really interesting. There’s so much to discuss in those last few paragraphs alone. 

Clubs are often trying to sell themselves to talent to attract them but the idea of a player selling himself to a club by dealing with an awkward and unattractive meeting place feels imaginative.
How much is sport about attitude/mindset? How much is it just about innate talent? Etc etc 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Yes, really interesting. There’s so much to discuss in those last few paragraphs alone. 

Clubs are often trying to sell themselves to talent to attract them but the idea of a player selling himself to a club by dealing with an awkward and unattractive meeting place feels imaginative.
How much is sport about attitude/mindset? How much is it just about innate talent? Etc etc 

I wonder how much conversation re a signing is asking the player how they think they will fit in, what they will bring, what they know about the squad, system, etc.

Interesting read. IMO, it shows how far behind clubs like Huddersfield we are off the pitch. We still have no DoF or sporting director; no head of recruitment; no psychologist. Granted, that takes time to implement. But it also pulls into focus the all-encompassing job Nige is doing, and doing well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder how much conversation re a signing is asking the player how they think they will fit in, what they will bring, what they know about the squad, system, etc.

Gary Johnson used to be like that early in his time with us.  If the player didn't fit attitude wise he wasn't interested and would abort a transfer the big one that stuck out as Akinfenwa.  Later on he recruited more based on talent and that's where things started to fall apart for him.  I think there is a third element of the manager and whether they have to compromise on their principles to land talent or not.  I get the feeling Nige isn't much for compromise.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Gary Johnson used to be like that early in his time with us.  If the player didn't fit attitude wise he wasn't interested and would abort a transfer the big one that stuck out as Akinfenwa.  Later on he recruited more based on talent and that's where things started to fall apart for him.  I think there is a third element of the manager and whether they have to compromise on their principles to land talent or not.  I get the feeling Nige isn't much for compromise.

Don’t ever recall Akinfenwa, but do remember Jermaine Easter & Michael Mifsud being told to eff off by GJ because they didn’t seem to be joining for the right reasons.

Been commented on numerous times but we have much to do to improve our scouting & recruitment set up.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t ever recall Akinfenwa, but do remember Jermaine Easter & Michael Mifsud being told to eff off by GJ because they didn’t seem to be joining for the right reasons.

Been commented on numerous times but we have much to do to improve our scouting & recruitment set up.

It was after he had left or was due to leave Swansea and we had a look at him and said no, one of the GJ interviews mentioned he didnt like his attitude even though he was available for free, I rememer those two as well now you mention them, and this one http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/7521310.stm :)

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tin said:

Interesting read. IMO, it shows how far behind clubs like Huddersfield we are off the pitch. We still have no DoF or sporting director; no head of recruitment; no psychologist. Granted, that takes time to implement. But it also pulls into focus the all-encompassing job Nige is doing, and doing well.

We didn't need those roles to be filled because we had MARK ASHTON!

4 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I remember Akinfenwa too http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/torquay_united/4085104.stm

Actually signed for Swansea a couple of weeks later

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I suppose it might depend on the transfer and how much the acquiring club wants the player. You’d think it was absolutely important for a player and a club that a player asks those questions. But this is football where the prospect of a lucrative three-year contract probably trumps most things.

Smart recruiting clubs though must be taking a more holistic approach. And it should give them a competitive advantage over time.

40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Huddersfield beating Stoke and currently 5th in the championship.

Nicholls in goal a free transfer signing in the summer.

3 of that defence, Turton, Pearson and Lees were all free transfer signings in the summer.

Levi Colwill who would usually play is a loan from Chelsea. The other centre back who sometimes plays is Naby Sarr who was a free the previous summer.

Sorba Thomas must have cost a tiny fee from Boreham Wood.

Sinani I doubt was a particularly expensive loan from Norwich.

O'Brien and High came through their youth system.

Danny Ward a free transfer the previous summer. Having such a good season.

It shows what can be done.

Indeed, but two other factors:

• a year ahead of us in terms of squad building under Corboran, finished 20th last season
  • still in receipt of PPs this season (final year) - I honestly believe they will be paying reasonable wages, comparable to us, plus location a helpful factor too, e.g. Lees

But as per the article, they are switched on recruitment wise.

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Huddersfield beating Stoke and currently 5th in the championship.

Nicholls in goal a free transfer signing in the summer.

3 of that defence, Turton, Pearson and Lees were all free transfer signings in the summer.

Levi Colwill who would usually play is a loan from Chelsea. The other centre back who sometimes plays is Naby Sarr who was a free the previous summer.

Sorba Thomas must have cost a tiny fee from Boreham Wood.

Sinani I doubt was a particularly expensive loan from Norwich.

O'Brien and High came through their youth system.

Danny Ward a free transfer the previous summer. Having such a good season.

It shows what can be done.

I think the key to this is time, few have been instant success.  Even Thomas's performances were being questioned October onwards, as Flash in pan.

Sarr was dreadful last season up against Semenyo at their place.

This season overall has been about the benefit of sticking with the philosophy, trusting the Head Coach and making a fast start this season. A lot were pointing out he wasn't brought in by Bielsa when results weren't going their way, now he will be a disciple again.

• Like 1

Just now, Ally1971 said:

I think the key to this is time, few have been instant success.  Even Thomas's performances were being questioned October onwards, as Flash in pan.

Sarr was dreadful last season up against Semenyo at their place.

This season overall has been about the benefit of sticking with the philosophy, trusting the Head Coach and making a fast start this season. A lot were pointing out he wasn't brought in by Bielsa* when results weren't going their way, now he will be a disciple again.

* when he was recruited from Leeds

You’re never too old to make the switch from non league to league football. Oldsters on the forum will remember,  ex Bath City player, Tony  Book who made his Division 1 debut for Man City aged 31 after a season at Plymouth. He was till playing when he was as nearly 40, which makes Timm Klose seem like a spring chicken 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

You’re never too old to make the switch from non league to league football. Oldsters on the forum will remember,  ex Bath City player, Tony  Book who made his Division 1 debut for Man City aged 31 after a season at Plymouth. He was till playing when he was as nearly 40, which makes Timm Klose seem like a spring chicken 

Tony Book didn't just 'play' in league football; he was also a member of the Manchester City team that won he Football League First Division, The FA Cup, The League Cup and what was then the European Cup Winners Cup. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pongo88 said:

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Tony Book didn't just 'play' in league football; he was also a member of the Manchester City team that won he Football League First Division, The FA Cup, The League Cup and what was then the European Cup Winners Cup. 

At both clubs he played under Malcolm Allison, possibly the greatest coach this country ever had. His ability to create systems that allowed players to play to their strengths and cover their weaknesses was amazing. 

I was too young to see his time at Bath City, but my dad used to say it was like watching something from the future in the way they were set up and how the players worked within that set up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I can't really see any names they signed that I'd expect to be on a lot.

Tom Lees is a decent enough centre back at this level, but I don't see why he would be able to get anything close to what he was on at Sheffield Wednesday. Like with Baker and Weimann and footballers in general at this level, he'd have to accept a much lower wage.

I think pretty much any defender struggles with Semenyo when on form.

Sarr as 4th choice centre back isn't at all bad imo. Under the circumstances I think he seems like a decent signing.

Corberan only had a three week preseason going into his first season at Huddersfield.

Huddersfield had sold or released players or loans like Chalobah, Smith Rowe and Willock returning to their clubs.

He only managed to sign 2 players, Ward on a free and Pipa before the first league game, but Ward didn't play till November due to a hamstring injury.

Sarr then came in on a free a bit after that. Starting his first league game in October.

Vallejo came in October having been without a club, but had to quarantine and then get his fitness levels up. It was in the new year he began to feature quite a bit and had his first start.

It looked a very difficult job for him last season. Taking over a squad that were significantly weaker to the squad that finished 18th the season before.

Going into this season he managed to get rid of a lot of players in the summer. And made 9 signings. 6 frees and 3 loans.

Decent players, but it's probably his coaching and tactics that have them doing well.

I'm no expert on Huddersfield though so by all means correct me on any of that.

Re Tom Lees, he won’t be what he was on at Wednesday, but I bet he’s on more than the £8-10k p.w we are probably paying Baker.  We need to ignore those players like Kalas, Palmer, Wells, etc, the only reason they are on that much is because they were on existing contracts.  The new norm is much less and I suspect that although Lees isn’t commanding a Kalas like salary, he would’ve been too rich for us….plus the location issue too.  A bit like why Jack Hunt could go to Wednesday, take a paycut, but be “back home” with his young family.

Huddersfield did loan Pereira and Eiting too in the window btw (I know you said by first game).  Totally accept they sold a few, e.g. Grant.  But not as bid a rebuild, nor as constraining a rebuild as us….and they struggled (apart from both games against us, when we stole 6 points!).

Ultimately, we DO need to improve our recruitment, but it is harder when you’re skint…perversely it’s more crucial to get right too…a vicious circle.

I’m glad we haven’t made any signings in this window, bar Klose.  Can only assume it’s because Baker won’t be back…so keeping our powder dry til the summer.  I do think Nige / RG are trying to be really careful with the purse strings, which is encouraging.

Lets see what our recruitment looks like in the summer.  Let’s hope it starts to look a bit more like Huddersfield.

On 27/01/2022 at 11:51, GrahamC said:

Jermaine Easter! A player so good that he ended up at the Gas!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I can't really see any names they signed that I'd expect to be on a lot.

Tom Lees is a decent enough centre back at this level, but I don't see why he would be able to get anything close to what he was on at Sheffield Wednesday. Like with Baker and Weimann and footballers in general at this level, he'd have to accept a much lower wage.

I think pretty much any defender struggles with Semenyo when on form.

Sarr as 4th choice centre back isn't at all bad imo. Under the circumstances I think he seems like a decent signing.

Corberan only had a three week preseason going into his first season at Huddersfield.

Huddersfield had sold or released players or loans like Chalobah, Smith Rowe and Willock returning to their clubs.

He only managed to sign 2 players, Ward on a free and Pipa before the first league game, but Ward didn't play till November due to a hamstring injury.

Sarr then came in on a free a bit after that. Starting his first league game in October.

Vallejo came in October having been without a club, but had to quarantine and then get his fitness levels up. It was in the new year he began to feature quite a bit and had his first start.

It looked a very difficult job for him last season. Taking over a squad that were significantly weaker to the squad that finished 18th the season before.

Going into this season he managed to get rid of a lot of players in the summer. And made 9 signings. 6 frees and 3 loans.

Decent players, but it's probably his coaching and tactics that have them doing well.

I'm no expert on Huddersfield though so by all means correct me on any of that.

Sorry the point I was trying to make is time being the prerequisite position, none have really been instant success.  In fact they did their transfer business early pre-season but many "experts" were of the opinion they were not of Championship standard but allowing them to develop has seen them reap the rewards.

The reason for pointing out the players was to emphasise the point on how they have turned it around.

I am not an expert on City, so my Huddersfield knowledge is even more wanting ??

Naby Sarr has been released- wasn't sure if there was a better thread to stick it in but would he be someone to consider at CB if a range of departures?

Or is the fact he has been released as of now, a sign that he is on the slide? He's 28, 29 in August so in and around peak age bracket tbh.

(Not Huddersfield related but wonder if there would be any merit in Zanka- ex Huddersfield and Brentford- the right kind of age too and experience. Red flag- injuries and wages). Released I read today. Actually he's 32 maybe not but he actually got some good reviews from Brentford but quite a few injuries too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Naby Sarr has been released- wasn't sure if there was a better thread to stick it in but would he be someone to consider at CB if a range of departures?

Or is the fact he has been released as of now, a sign that he is on the slide? He's 28, 29 in August so in and around peak age bracket tbh.

Think we are well stocked with left footed defenders Mr P.

On 27/01/2022 at 10:35, tin said:

This is bordering on negligence by SL and the board.   Investing in the right structure would be peanuts compared to playing staff and would actually save money by getting recruitment right.   Bewildering.  There may be some fleeting success if we get lucky with signings, but I cannot see any sustained progress without it which is quite depressing.   

• Like 3

On 29/01/2022 at 09:07, Port Said Red said:

At both clubs he played under Malcolm Allison, possibly the greatest coach this country ever had. His ability to create systems that allowed players to play to their strengths and cover their weaknesses was amazing. 

I was too young to see his time at Bath City, but my dad used to say it was like watching something from the future in the way they were set up and how the players worked within that set up. 

Malcolm Allison screwed F*** the Gas during his spell there as coach. Got to love him for that.

Amongst other things he tried to get those donkeys to pass the ball with the top of the foot ! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Torpey'sBigToe said:

Agreed. Was at the PO final and thought he looked a real liability, giving the ball away and passing straight out of play on several occasions. I’d be concerned if we were linked.

I remember him playing against us for Charlton (?) a few years back and he was awful. I think he`s one of those `marauding` CBs who scores a few twenty yarders and that disguises his defensive frailties to a certain extent.

• Like 1