IGNORED

Preston away match day thread

Let’s start with a question, name the eight teams in the four Scottish and English senior divisions that have names which include North, South, East or West in their title? The answer is at the end of this post.

Deepdale it is and PNE are opponents that we have some unhappy memories of! We have won just one of our last 17 games against them. Head-to-head we have won 27, lost 34 and drawn 33. Back in September the points were shared in an entertaining goalless draw at Ashton Gate, the highlights are here: https://youtu.be/45F78jLt4iU

Pay on the day is available for away supporters.

They are currently in 13th place on 36 points. On Wednesday evening they won 0-2 away at WBA. Albion failed to register a shot on target as they lost at home in the league for the first time this season. Their recent form: WLDDLW. Their leading scorer is Emil Riis Jakobsen's with15 goals in the league so far.

The first half of the campaign has been a difficult one at Deepdale. There was the untimely passing of owner Trevor Hemmings in October, while inconsistent performances and results on the pitch resulted in a managerial change in early December.

Ryan Lowe was brought in from Plymouth to replace Frankie McAvoy, who had only been given the job on a permanent basis in May. A 4-1 home defeat by Hull on the opening day was the worst possible start to McAvoy's full-time tenure and they just couldn't reproduce the results from last season. They won back-to-back league matches only twice, had five successive draws and lost back-to-back matches three times. Victory at Bournemouth was a highlight but defeats on the road in derby matches at Blackpool and Blackburn Rovers were significant blows. The decision to make a change in the manager's office came 48 hours after the setback at Ewood Park.

Lowe's philosophy is to entertain. His first game in charge brought three points and a feeling of optimism for a brighter future. Captain Alan Browne got off the mark in that win over Barnsley, goalkeeper Daniel Iversen and leading scorer Emil Riis Jakobsen have been consistent performers and Ali McCann is looking like an astute signing from St Johnstone. The feeling in the dressing room is that North End are a far better team than results would suggest.  Last week they secured Cameron Archer on loan from Aston Villa.

Here’s Lowe’s pre-match presser: https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/watch-preston-north-end-manager-ryan-lowes-full-press-conference-ahead-of-championship-clash-with-bristol-city-3546095

Be interesting to see if Timm Klose is in the squad and whether Williams starts, while James, King and Atkinson are all likely to be missing.

The man with the whistle today is John Busby.

Pubs that welcome away fans include:

• The White Hart is about a 15 minute walk from the ground, 230 Watling Street Road, Preston, PR2 8AD.  https://www.craftunionpubs.com/white-hart-fulwood
  • The Moor Park Sports and Social Club Telephone: 01772 717709 (formerly Fulwood Conservative Club) is based on Blackpool Road, Preston. The postcode is PR2 3AE, but for your Sat Nav use PR1 6AD. The club is close to motorway junctions for the M6 and M55 and just 10 minutes easy walk to Deepdale Stadium. A warm welcome awaits visiting supporters both before and after matches with a spacious car park at a minimal charge. The bar stocks a very good selection of beers, wines and spirits at competitive prices. The club has a separate function room, two large bowling greens, two match-standard snooker tables and a pool table. https://www.facebook.com/Moorparksportsandsocialclub/
  • The Station Telephone: 01772 737164 which is located in the heart of Preston, directly opposite Preston Train Station. With Preston North End just a 10 minute drive away, the Station is the perfect place to welcome away football fans as soon as they step off the train, before heading to the game. The pub is also a popular place to grab a quick pint before getting back on the train post-match. The Station has loyalty pricing just for football fans which is accessible by simply showing your football ticket to the bar staff. The pub also has live entertainment on every Friday and Saturday as well as a large selection of draught, bottled beer, cask and craft ales, wines and spirits.  https://blindtigerinns.co.uk/pubs/the-station-preston/
  • Finney’s cafe and sports bar, Sir Tom Finney Way, Preston, PR1 6RU. https://www.facebook.com/FinneysPNE/
  • Royal Consort located on the edge of the high street in the historic city of Preston sits The Royal Consort. A classically British pub with a traditional layout and a small, cosy bar, this public house is full of charm. Patrons are welcomed with open fires, classic pub games and a great pint. It’s the perfect place to have a drink and get to know the locals. 107-109 Meadow Street, Preston, PR1 1TS.  https://www.dorbiere.co.uk/royal-consort/
  • Black Horse a listed ornate Victorian pub in pedestrianised street; splendid mosaic-tiled main bar serving eight well kept ales (Robinsons and guests), friendly helpful staff, panelling, stained glass and old local photographs, open fires, two quiet cosy snugs, mirrored back area and upstairs function room. The entire property is Grade II listed in part due to its history which dates to Victorian times. The bar servery has an expressive tiled curvature, there are mosaic floors and a side corridor which leads to more seating and a staircase that leads to another room and bar. Offering at least eight Robinsons cask beers, this real ale shrine offers a warm welcome with lots of delicious beer.  Black Horse, 66 Friargate, Preston, PR1 2EJ. https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/pubs/black-horse-preston/

Preston

Preston's most famous player, Tom Finley, joined the club as a teenager in 1938. His first team debut was delayed until 1946 by the second world war but he played for Preston until he retired in 1960. He was nicknamed the "Preston Plumber" because of his local business. Finney remains the club's top goalscorer, with 187 goals from 433 appearances, and also scored 30 international goals for England in 76 appearances.

The demonym for residents of the city is "Prestonian".

Although of course Bristol has adopted the characters Wallace and Gromit due to production company Aardman Animations being based there the creator of Wallace and Gromit, Nick Park, was born in Preston. He studied Art and Design at Preston College. They named a library for the art and design department after him: the Nick Park Library Learning Centre. It is said that the character idea for Wallace came from his old English teacher in Preston. This also explains why  Preston the cyber-dog (robot) invented by Fred Ramsbottom, the main antagonist of the 1995 short film A Close Shave, is so named.

Preston has claim to be the home of football. One of the reasons the National Football Museum was based there (before being cruelly relocated to Manchester). Preston’s Deepdale stadium is said to be the oldest continuously used football league ground in the world. In the 1888/89 season Preston North End became League Champions and also won the FA Cup; the first team to achieve the double. PNE beat Hyde United 26 – 0 in the 1887 FA Cup, the highest score in English football. Preston North End legend, Sir Tom Finney OBE, CBE was the first player to be named Footballer of the Year twice – in 1954 and 1957.

Preston born actor Frederick John Inman, Mr Humphries in the BBC comedy ‘Are You Being Served’, became internationally famous for his ‘I’m free’ catchphrase. Inman won BBC TV Personality of the Year in 1976. His dad had a barbers on Fishergate in Preston.

The eight teams are: Southampton, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United, Northampton Town, Southend United, Queen of the South, East Fife and of course Preston North End.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Let’s start with a question, name the eight teams in the four Scottish and English senior divisions that have names which include North, South, East or West in their title? The answer is at the end of this post.

Deepdale it is and PNE are opponents that we have some unhappy memories of! We have won just one of our last 17 games against them. Head-to-head we have won 27, lost 34 and drawn 33. Back in September the points were shared in an entertaining goalless draw at Ashton Gate, the highlights are here: https://youtu.be/45F78jLt4iU

Pay on the day is available for away supporters.

They are currently in 13th place on 36 points. On Wednesday evening they won 0-2 away at WBA. Albion failed to register a shot on target as they lost at home in the league for the first time this season. Their recent form: WLDDLW. Their leading scorer is Emil Riis Jakobsen's with15 goals in the league so far.

The first half of the campaign has been a difficult one at Deepdale. There was the untimely passing of owner Trevor Hemmings in October, while inconsistent performances and results on the pitch resulted in a managerial change in early December.

Ryan Lowe was brought in from Plymouth to replace Frankie McAvoy, who had only been given the job on a permanent basis in May. A 4-1 home defeat by Hull on the opening day was the worst possible start to McAvoy's full-time tenure and they just couldn't reproduce the results from last season. They won back-to-back league matches only twice, had five successive draws and lost back-to-back matches three times. Victory at Bournemouth was a highlight but defeats on the road in derby matches at Blackpool and Blackburn Rovers were significant blows. The decision to make a change in the manager's office came 48 hours after the setback at Ewood Park.

Lowe's philosophy is to entertain. His first game in charge brought three points and a feeling of optimism for a brighter future. Captain Alan Browne got off the mark in that win over Barnsley, goalkeeper Daniel Iversen and leading scorer Emil Riis Jakobsen have been consistent performers and Ali McCann is looking like an astute signing from St Johnstone. The feeling in the dressing room is that North End are a far better team than results would suggest.  Last week they secured Cameron Archer on loan from Aston Villa.

Here’s Lowe’s pre-match presser: https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/watch-preston-north-end-manager-ryan-lowes-full-press-conference-ahead-of-championship-clash-with-bristol-city-3546095

Be interesting to see if Timm Klose is in the squad and whether Williams starts, while James, King and Atkinson are all likely to be missing.

The man with the whistle today is John Busby.

Pubs that welcome away fans include:

• The White Hart is about a 15 minute walk from the ground, 230 Watling Street Road, Preston, PR2 8AD.  https://www.craftunionpubs.com/white-hart-fulwood
  • The Moor Park Sports and Social Club Telephone: 01772 717709 (formerly Fulwood Conservative Club) is based on Blackpool Road, Preston. The postcode is PR2 3AE, but for your Sat Nav use PR1 6AD. The club is close to motorway junctions for the M6 and M55 and just 10 minutes easy walk to Deepdale Stadium. A warm welcome awaits visiting supporters both before and after matches with a spacious car park at a minimal charge. The bar stocks a very good selection of beers, wines and spirits at competitive prices. The club has a separate function room, two large bowling greens, two match-standard snooker tables and a pool table. https://www.facebook.com/Moorparksportsandsocialclub/
  • The Station Telephone: 01772 737164 which is located in the heart of Preston, directly opposite Preston Train Station. With Preston North End just a 10 minute drive away, the Station is the perfect place to welcome away football fans as soon as they step off the train, before heading to the game. The pub is also a popular place to grab a quick pint before getting back on the train post-match. The Station has loyalty pricing just for football fans which is accessible by simply showing your football ticket to the bar staff. The pub also has live entertainment on every Friday and Saturday as well as a large selection of draught, bottled beer, cask and craft ales, wines and spirits.  https://blindtigerinns.co.uk/pubs/the-station-preston/
  • Finney’s cafe and sports bar, Sir Tom Finney Way, Preston, PR1 6RU. https://www.facebook.com/FinneysPNE/
  • Royal Consort located on the edge of the high street in the historic city of Preston sits The Royal Consort. A classically British pub with a traditional layout and a small, cosy bar, this public house is full of charm. Patrons are welcomed with open fires, classic pub games and a great pint. It’s the perfect place to have a drink and get to know the locals. 107-109 Meadow Street, Preston, PR1 1TS.  https://www.dorbiere.co.uk/royal-consort/
  • Black Horse a listed ornate Victorian pub in pedestrianised street; splendid mosaic-tiled main bar serving eight well kept ales (Robinsons and guests), friendly helpful staff, panelling, stained glass and old local photographs, open fires, two quiet cosy snugs, mirrored back area and upstairs function room. The entire property is Grade II listed in part due to its history which dates to Victorian times. The bar servery has an expressive tiled curvature, there are mosaic floors and a side corridor which leads to more seating and a staircase that leads to another room and bar. Offering at least eight Robinsons cask beers, this real ale shrine offers a warm welcome with lots of delicious beer.  Black Horse, 66 Friargate, Preston, PR1 2EJ. https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/pubs/black-horse-preston/

Preston

Preston's most famous player, Tom Finley, joined the club as a teenager in 1938. His first team debut was delayed until 1946 by the second world war but he played for Preston until he retired in 1960. He was nicknamed the "Preston Plumber" because of his local business. Finney remains the club's top goalscorer, with 187 goals from 433 appearances, and also scored 30 international goals for England in 76 appearances.

The demonym for residents of the city is "Prestonian".

Although of course Bristol has adopted the characters Wallace and Gromit due to production company Aardman Animations being based there the creator of Wallace and Gromit, Nick Park, was born in Preston. He studied Art and Design at Preston College. They named a library for the art and design department after him: the Nick Park Library Learning Centre. It is said that the character idea for Wallace came from his old English teacher in Preston. This also explains why  Preston the cyber-dog (robot) invented by Fred Ramsbottom, the main antagonist of the 1995 short film A Close Shave, is so named.

Preston has claim to be the home of football. One of the reasons the National Football Museum was based there (before being cruelly relocated to Manchester). Preston’s Deepdale stadium is said to be the oldest continuously used football league ground in the world. In the 1888/89 season Preston North End became League Champions and also won the FA Cup; the first team to achieve the double. PNE beat Hyde United 26 – 0 in the 1887 FA Cup, the highest score in English football. Preston North End legend, Sir Tom Finney OBE, CBE was the first player to be named Footballer of the Year twice – in 1954 and 1957.

Preston born actor Frederick John Inman, Mr Humphries in the BBC comedy ‘Are You Being Served’, became internationally famous for his ‘I’m free’ catchphrase. Inman won BBC TV Personality of the Year in 1976. His dad had a barbers on Fishergate in Preston.

The eight teams are: Southampton, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United, Northampton Town, Southend United, Queen of the South, East Fife and of course Preston North End.

For the love of god @BigTone save me!

• Haha 3

I have everything crossed, including my eyes.........that   Joe  Williams, if he plays, comes through unscathed tomorrow.  The poor bloke was averaging 38 games a season before he arrived with us, but it has been nothing but injury problems since.   I believe he will make a vital difference to the team, if he can just get on a run of games in midfield.  My main concern tomorrow isn't so much the result, but the performances of Joe and hopefully  the rest of the squad.  If he can stay fit, and we continue to play as we did for the first half hour at Luton, results will start to come..............here's hoping ?    

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I have everything crossed, including my eyes.........that   Joe  Williams, if he plays, comes through unscathed tomorrow.  The poor bloke was averaging 38 games a season before he arrived with us, but it has been nothing but injury problems since.   I believe he will make a vital difference to the team, if he can just get on a run of games in midfield.  My main concern tomorrow isn't so much the result, but the performances of Joe and hopefully  the rest of the squad.  If he can stay fit, and we continue to play as we did for the first half hour at Luton, results will start to come..............here's hoping ?    

I’d be happy to see Williams play one, rest one, play one, rest one for the remainder of the season.

I’m not desperate to see him start tomorrow.  If he’s ready, he’s ready.  It’s such a shame, because he’s been really good in the cameos this season.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d be happy to see Williams play one, rest one, play one, rest one for the remainder of the season.

I’m not desperate to see him start tomorrow.  If he’s ready, he’s ready.  It’s such a shame, because he’s been really good in the cameos this season.

You’re not a knitting aficionado by any chance? 

• Haha 4

Always interested to see how PNE are doing, feel like they've always been close with us in the league, and even came back up from League one at the same time as us didn't they? 

Especially intrigued now they have Ryan Lowe, who was one of the most popular shouts to be our next manager on here. ?

Not sure what our staring lineup will be today, but it's just frustrating knowing that due to injuries it will certainly be pretty comprised. Think it'll be too early for Klose.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, One Team said:

I always think of Preston as a similar sized club and fan base to us TBH. 

Be happy with a point today but we’ve got it in us to nick a win. 

Not according to the fans on their forum: 

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/match-day-pne-v-bristol-city-29-01-22-ko-15-00-championship.3435359/

Should be an easy win given they have only scored 13 goals this season, BUT this is PNE :laugh:.
Home win 2-0, fingers crossed.

I'm taking my 5 year old grandson for his first visit to Deepdale this afternoon. Very much hoping for an entertaining win and a good positive atmosphere to maximise the chances of him wanting a second visit soon!

I am looking forward to today more than I have for quite some time.

27 minutes ago, 22A said:

Not according to the fans on their forum: 

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/match-day-pne-v-bristol-city-29-01-22-ko-15-00-championship.3435359/

Should be an easy win given they have only scored 13 goals this season, BUT this is PNE :laugh:.
Home win 2-0, fingers crossed.

I'm taking my 5 year old grandson for his first visit to Deepdale this afternoon. Very much hoping for an entertaining win and a good positive atmosphere to maximise the chances of him wanting a second visit soon!

I am looking forward to today more than I have for quite some time.

Someone should tell him that Weimann has scored 14.

I think he may mean we have lost 13 ?

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

Always interested to see how PNE are doing, feel like they've always been close with us in the league, and even came back up from League one at the same time as us didn't they? 

Especially intrigued now they have Ryan Lowe, who was one of the most popular shouts to be our next manager on here. ?

Not sure what our staring lineup will be today, but it's just frustrating knowing that due to injuries it will certainly be pretty comprised. Think it'll be too early for Klose.

I think I read that they have only lost once, see Ryan Lowe took over. Top Manager in the making.

Surely today Bents has to come back in, otherwise PNE will cross into the 6 yard box at every opportunity to try and expose Max after both Luton goals.

Also think Martin should not start (actually he should have been rested for Luton, then would have been fresh for today). Suspect he will really struggle if asked to start 3rd game in 7 days.

• Confused 1
21 minutes ago, phantom said:

Screenshot_20220129-101353_Twitter.jpg

Alcohol per volume. 4.2, 4.4 % and going by the pounds it looks very expensive as we would class this as boys beer in OZ. 

The wild child at 4.7% sounds OK for a mid strength.

Got a slab of Mercury Hard Cider this week and they are 6.8% and they worked out at $3.00 per can about one pound 50.

How strong is the @lilley,s cider ? The Guild Ale House looks like a coffee shop.

Any way all the best to you travelling City supporters today.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1