IGNORED

Preston away match day thread

6 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

90+5 minutes with a 1 goal lead = do not stand off the opposition. Get touch tight and restrict their ability to get a clean strike on the ball.

Our defenders are stood off him too far for my liking, allowing him the chance to pivot and shoot.

Well executed goal, but someone should have been within farting distance of him to prevent it.

I'm sure Nigel will say much the same but our defenders don't seem to be listening to him. Groundhog day.

The issue is not which player to blame this time it's that somebody will inevitably do it. No idea how we fix that if multiple players are at fault over multiple games.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Shame for pring to make that mistake, had a great game with a fantastic team performance. 

HNM was real class today, along with scott and Semenyo  what a future team we have if we can keep them.

Thought Weimenn had a poor game and missed a sitter.

Not sure where 5 minutes added time came from, but guess ref along with denying penalties wanted to give PNE all the help he could

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

90+5 minutes with a 1 goal lead = do not stand off the opposition. Get touch tight and restrict their ability to get a clean strike on the ball.

Our defenders are stood off him too far for my liking, allowing him the chance to pivot and shoot.

Well executed goal, but someone should have been within farting distance of him to prevent it.

That’s not zonal marking, they just haven’t reacted quick enough

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We're certainly building a midfield and attack to excite. In defence we are yet to dig the foundations. Let's hope Tanner and Atkinson turn out to be as good as the younger players elsewhere in the team.

Yeah I think that’s a fair assessment. But my god give me that in comparison to where we have been over the last couple of years and more and the young players are coming on leaps and bounds  .  If we can build that defence then we really can start to look upwards.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

1st minute, 0-0 do exactly that, but matters not what minute or scoreline is City as City haven't been able to do so since the likes of Orr left.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

That’s not zonal marking, they just haven’t reacted quick enough

Marking vacant space in open play (rather than being touch tight) is basically the same as zonally marking from a set piece. You're banking too much (for my liking) on the ball falling into the area you are occupying, rather than making life as difficult as possible for the opposition.

If we're going to attribute this to poor/sluggish reactions then you'd have to say that whoever is defensively coaching us is using a very naive approach, particularly when you consider how young our squad is.

• Like 1

First half display fantastic, should we have been 2 up? Yes. Andi would normally knock in 9/10 of those. Great effort, especially from the young uns and Klose looking class always looking for the ball from Max.

Easy to critisize Pring but he had a great game.

We’re now playing at a different level and the futures looking bright.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yeah I think that’s a fair assessment. But my god give me that in comparison to where we have been over the last couple of years and more and the young players are coming on leaps and bounds  .  If we can build that defence then we really can start to look upwards.

Agreed, there has been a huge improvement in the attacking football we play. Just frustrating that the attacking players are not getting the reward in terms of points they deserve.

• Like 3

Generally played very well, missed to many chances, should have killed the game off. Goalkeeper and a mistake at the end cost us two points. Should have had a penalty. Sounds familiar, not sure if Nigel is looking forward to saying the same things again and again in his post match interview. Indeed i think he will give it to someone else to do. On to the next one at Blackpool.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Brave decision to start Klose given his lack of games this season.

Hopefully he's up to it, but I just wonder how long he'll be on the pitch.

Can't see us getting anything from PNE tbh.

WTF do I know :rolleyes:

Klose played a blinder and we should have won the game, we were much the better team.

• Like 2

Pearson will be fuming this evening and I’m sure would have said his piece in the dressing room after. I don’t think he has a lot of time for “brain dead”. These lads are professionals and need to start acting like it if they want a longer term career here. We score two very good goals that we had to work for, they are literally handed two goals on a plate by us. Undeniably we are heading in the right direction though………

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

.........Unbelivable, there are just so many Glass half empty posters on here?.   We are playing so much better recently, pick out all the positives from another great performance, instead of moaning about what was a great strike from our opponents.  We are going in the right direction with an entertaining young team.................get over it.  Well played City!!

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, City_USA said:

I agree. It was a well taken goal. Still very frustrating he even had the opportunity to take it on 

Entirely true, Cam should have gone to the corner etc, but it was in fairness one hell of a finish. Don’t think it will make a difference come the end of the season, but still bloody frustrating.

Great performance today from most of the team.  Some really exciting football and we were by some distance the better team.  Klosse looks a really strong signing and I thought we looked good with him in there until we made all those random changes late in the game.  The exception was Weiman who had a bit of a mare.  It was just one of those days for him unfortunately which is a shame because he’s been on top form recently.  Why he wasn’t substituted I don’t know.  Would have much preferred Jay to stay on, with Pring remaining at LCB and the structure of the defence kept pretty much the same.  Not sure what the thinking was in the changes  there but up until that final minute Pring had a really good game.  Maybe Benarous for Scott, Vyner for Weimann and we take home the 3 points we deserved. 

• Like 1