IGNORED

Preston away match day thread

Despite the feeling that we chucked away 2 points, there were so many positives from the game.

Klose looking every inch the quality player he has been in the past.

Massengo and Scott bossing the midfield first half and parts of the second half.

Cundy getting on the pitch (looked good).

Williams getting minutes and making a difference at a time when Scott was tiring.

Just about every player being on their game, albeit Weimann maybe a bit under par.

Great team performance with plenty of first time passing and 100% effort.

The commentators were drooling over Massengo, Scott, and Semenyo, rightly so.

Loads of positives even though the late equaliser (which was a great hit) is a kick in the nuts.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, maxjak said:

.........Unbelivable, there are just so many Glass half empty posters on here?.   We are playing so much better recently, pick out all the positives from another great performance, instead of moaning about what was a great strike from our opponents.  We are going in the right direction with an entertaining young team.................get over it.  Well played City!!

I would have thought saying we look great going forward but not great defending was just a balanced and accurate view.

To that extent our glass is half full, though I expect Nigel to fill the other half in due course though not necessarily soon.

Really good performance, especially first half where we totally dominated. 

Shame that first Weimann then Pring make a total mess of 2 on 2 situations in injury time. Pring up to then had played really well, Andi had an off day with several poor decisions on breaks and missing the open goal in the first half.

Thoroughly deserved to win and the style of football was really good. Klose has a great game.

Not sure why NP mucked up the defence with his subs, as we had looked solid. Martin was out on his feet from about 60 mins and Andi was having an off day. So one of them off would have made more sense than taking off JD who has also played well. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Really good performance, especially first half where we totally dominated. 

Shame that first Weimann then Pring make a total mess of 2 on 2 situations in injury time. Pring up to then had played really well, Andi had an off day with several poor decisions on breaks and missing the open goal in the first half.

Thoroughly deserved to win and the style of football was really good. Klose has a great game.

Not sure why NP mucked up the defence with his subs, as we had looked solid. Martin was out on his feet from about 60 mins and Andi was having an off day. So one of them off would have made more sense than taking off JD who has also played well. 

Agreed on subs, why upset a functioning unit, no need.

37 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Guilty of thinking he was younger than he is to be fair, ok call it inexperience rather than youth

Yeah, fair point but it’s a question of mental processing. Some of them are not learning from mistake after mistake. They keep making poor decisions. Did you see how the Luton players went into game management mode to see out the win totally against the run of play. 
At 24 years of age he should be capable of clear, pragmatic thinking. Was it Alan Hansen who said ‘percentages’. Put it in row Z. The stakes are high. And it’s not just Cam Pring. I agree he can play but he has to be a better decision maker

• Like 1

It does feel like a loss, we just can't seem to see out games.

That's the negative over, but what a lot of positives. As previously mentioned the young players are really contributing. My motm was Massengo, he was everywhere and never gave up and brought others into the game.

We aren't going to go up, or down, this season so we just got to take opportunities to build and think about next season. Holding on to some players as well as shipping out some will be crucial.

And yes, very impressed with Klose

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Can we not knock it - when it knocks us two points?

Sure, but I think you’ve got to look at the overall. Klose was excellent, Kalas looked even better beside him, Semenyo, HNM, Scott and Dasilva were excellent, Williams also very good when he came on.

Perhaps the final substitution with Cundy (nothing to do with him) coming on caused a loss of focus right and the end, but that is being really picky.

Overall a decent result and one most would have taken pre-kick off. But for some dodgy finishing and actually getting a penalty that could have been comfortable. 

This lot are getting my juices flowing. 

• Like 1

I like to look on the forum at the other teams match threads, always find it interesting to see what they say. Preston are always great because they seem to accept when the opposition have played well and give credit. Here are some of their most positive comments from today. 

Brizzle 75% possession so far, sounds like they’ve come out with all guns blazing!

Thoroughly second best so far. ******* shite.

Bristol don't look like a team that's lost so many away games.

Getting ripped to shreds here every time brizzle attack

Chris Martin with a clinical finish after Weimann was allowed to play the through ball unchallenged.

We can’t live with Semenyo this half!

About the 2nd goal:

That was class ?

Absolute fantastic goal.

Back to general comment:

Massengo is some player

Massengo = worth about 50 million judging by today. Quality player, involved with everything and never gets tired.

Preston 1 Massengo 2

Best performance I’ve seen from anyone at Deepdale all season

Completely out played in first half, better second half performance, but nowhere near god enough, Bristol have been by far the better team. ??

Deserved nothing there, lost every battle but when you've got a proven goalscorer you always have a chance of getting points.

The difference in energy was massive

Didn’t deserve anything really..their lad in midfield and the other up front ran the game. (Massengo and Semenyo)

absolutley robbed them

Didn't deserve that but we should have comfortably beat Birmingham and somehow only came away with a point. Nice to have it go for us this time. Against Bristol of all teams as well. They must ******* hate us. image.gif.509b9e00125c79c0ab54511a68292726.gif

Bristol City were technically very goal and worked very hard. Surprised on their league position. Expected Pearson would have been fired by now given expectations at the club but looks like he's building something and maybe the club see this.

I think their number 42 is the player that a lot of our fan base think Alan Browne is. Not in the same universe. However, what we lack in ability we absolutely make up for it in spirit. Fair play.

Massengo in the Bristol midfield was superb, premier league clubs will be calling for him I’d expect. Best performance from an away player in some time. Does anybody have any thoughts on the last time a player came to Deepdale and played that well?

Massengo A name I think we will see in the premiership for sure

Thought Alex Scott ran the show for them in midfield first half, almost total domination...

I guess that's what a Category 2 academy can get you.

But according to our brave leaders, it's better to save money and do without such things.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1
8 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Having just rewatched Weimanns miss........it's hard to comprehend how he got his finish so wrong?   But what stood out for me was the superb ball control and finesse from Semenyo to set it up, his potential assist so deserved a finish............Ah Well!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dan Robin said:

Even more gutted than I was on Tuesday. I hope that these points thrown away won't haunt us at the end of the season.

Yeah. We'li miss out on that important 12th place and finish 14th. 

I know I'm being flippant but we're a mid table team going through transition with a young group of players. They will make mistakes but what matters then is they learn from them.  Best go make a load this season and benefit from the experience next season.  

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, pillred said:

As it stands Peterborough would have to win 5 more games than us can you really see that happening? 

Two games in hand too. Even Wycombe seemed doomed but then started winning matches, so I don't feel safe yet. Anyway, performances are quite encourageing, apart from defensive mistakes.

2 minutes ago, bcfc ry said:

Max O’Leary consistently makes me nervous in between the sticks, controversial opinion but I think other keepers are saving there 2nd ?

I’m still Max over Dan for now, but due to distribution mainly, worked well again today, particularly with Klose being calm and Kalas good bringing it out from RCB. Was more worried by Max today than against Luton, first he’s picked up Dan’s habit of a decent save palmed out to the oncoming striker rather than away from goal; second, think I agree, doesn’t move his feet quickly enough, so ball past him before he gets moving properly. Great finish though. 

Just back from the game. Best thing I can think it we were gutted to draw that game whereas just over a month ago, would have expected a thrashing there. 

we were the better team and, I realise this sounds stupid even as I type it but, other than their goals it never felt like we were in danger. 

forwards and midfield were very good. Williams is a hell of a footballer, hope he stays fit now. HNM what a shift he put it, Scott superb, Pring very good most of the time, Semenyo, just wow, that guy really is something now, total pest all game and what a goal. Tamara who?

Watched Klose Klosely, didn’t run much but a great footy brain, he seemed to always be in the right place. He was constantly directing and organising people, I think he’ll be a great asset. 

Genuinely enjoyed the game, exited the game with longer fingernails than I have for a very long time. We HAVE to keep hold of these young uns, some potential superstars in there. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Gutted we conceded so late again, but I would gladly have taken a point before kick-off.

Our football is definitely getting better/more attractive and I love seeing our players winning so many more tackles than they used to.

Lady Luck has certainly not been kind to us. Surely that's going to change at some point.

Overall, things are clearly improving under Pearson  even though he seems to have virtually bugger-all to spend on reinforcements.

The mess he inherited was never going to a quick or easy fix.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

I’m still Max over Dan for now, but due to distribution mainly, worked well again today, particularly with Klose being calm and Kalas good bringing it out from RCB. Was more worried by Max today than against Luton, first he’s picked up Dan’s habit of a decent save palmed out to the oncoming striker rather than away from goal; second, think I agree, doesn’t move his feet quickly enough, so ball past him before he gets moving properly. Great finish though. 

If we were scraping for our lives I think it would be a closer decision on who to pick - DB shop stopping can be insane at times. But given we are in transition (not going up or down) I think it makes sense to develop Max by giving him game time - he needs that and I don't think DB does. 

3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Just back from the game. Best thing I can think it we were gutted to draw that game whereas just over a month ago, would have expected a thrashing there. 

we were the better team and, I realise this sounds stupid even as I type it but, other than their goals it never felt like we were in danger. 

forwards and midfield were very good. Williams is a hell of a footballer, hope he stays fit now. HNM what a shift he put it, Scott superb, Pring very good most of the time, Semenyo, just wow, that guy really is something now, total pest all game and what a goal. Tamara who?

Watched Klose Klosely, didn’t run much but a great footy brain, he seemed to always be in the right place. He was constantly directing and organising people, I think he’ll be a great asset. 

Genuinely enjoyed the game, exited the game with longer fingernails than I have for a very long time. We HAVE to keep hold of these young uns, some potential superstars in there. 

Nice to have a home game occasionally Sport! Saw it the same way from my billet in the frozen north (and it is) 

FFP could mean a big bid we can’t turn down for someone, we will see. 

Some of the PNE comments about Massengo were good to see. If there was a scout there, which is racing  certainty, he’s added a bit of value. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, RedM said:

Oh I forgot to add that the Ref waved plenty away that others would have given. Once Preston were given the green light to foul us they certainly took full advantage of this and we had no protection from officials at all.

Thought there was a clear foul on Wiemann just outside their box, not given and from the same play they equalise. That was tough to take. 

• Like 1