IGNORED

Pearson - looks like he's building something and maybe the club see this.

BCFC Rich

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The fact that it has taken him twelve months to arrive at this level of performance, emphasises how bad we were a year ago.

Every footballer makes mistakes. The teams that makes the fewest are usually in the top three or four.

I'm looking forward to next season

I’m gonna be picky here, selective if you like.

I really don’t think last season counts…it was preparation for this season, it was about getting it over and done with so the rebuild could start.  It couldn’t start with the old building in place, it had to be demolished in the summer.

We are starting to see what an experienced manager can bring to a rebuild.

• Like 14
  • Hmmm 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I really don’t think last season counts…it was preparation for this season, it was about getting it over and done with so the rebuild could start.  It couldn’t start with the old building in place, it had to be demolished in the summer.

I agree the injuries were there, the spirit was done, some players heads were some place else.  It was a mess,  makes this season all the more sweet.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The fact that it has taken him twelve months to arrive at this level of performance, emphasises how bad we were a year ago.

Every footballer makes mistakes. The teams that makes the fewest are usually in the top three or four.

I'm looking forward to next season

Perhaps - though looking at the Championship table from December 2020, we were in 7th place, five points from the top of the table

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

I have been thinking of posting something like this for  a while, but this comment from the Preston forum stood out and made me finally do it- 

"Bristol City were technically very goal and worked very hard. Surprised on their league position. Expected Pearson would have been fired by now given expectations at the club but looks like he's building something and maybe the club see this."

I think the club definitely do see this and most fans too - for a few everything needs to be instant though. 

We are a club in transition and NP is doing a great job. He is mostly working with what he has, with the odd low budget addition. He has also had to let players go  -(some he may of wanted to keep, but we couldn't afford)  and make the tough decisions on players who maybe do not fit the clubs ethos and plans. That brings us to the next part, plans and identity! Something  LJ went on about, but we now clearly have. It shows on the pitch and it shows in how the fans at the games have reacted - Getting behind the team because we can finally see a plan, a willingness to play football (rather than jsut grind games out) and they trust where we are going. 

Our performances are getting better all the time + players are improving all the time. We have such a young side and they have come on so much since last season - imagine what they might be like next season if they make even half as much progress. The pathway is there, they are clearly being well coached and getting match exposure. We could easily field a team with over half coming from the club: Max, Pring, Vyner, Scott, Conway, Benarous add in club developed players/kind of home grown - Semenyo, HNM, Cundy. 

I think for me it reminds me of when Sean O'Driscoll was here - he had to transition the club and despite things not going well on the pitch I think there are a fair few who appreciate he did a lot of the work to transition us and set things up behind the scenes and with restructuring -  for Cotts to get us flying. That's what NP is doing now - only he is doing it and managing to improve us game on game and develop our own players. Anyone still not able to see that needs to take a step back and see the bigger picture. However I think most do and as we keep progressing more and more will. 

Exactly- Pearson laying the foundations at yet another club. 
(And, per Charlie Wyett,  warnock will be the ranieri this time; coming in and finishing the job.)

• Haha 2

I think the return of Semenyo has been pivotal to our improvement in the last half a dozen games. He is the only forward we have with genuine pace and power and he has made a huge difference to the way we play.

IF we can keep Williams fit, get Atkinson consistant and generally have a bit of luck with injuries, then the future looks bright.

I would imagine we may lose one of our young talents in the summer if we receive a decent offer, but for the first time in over 3 years i have some optimism.

• Like 5

I'd like to think the club will do everything to keep our talented youngsters. If only...so disheartening when players shine then get sold on, and we have to start again.

It would be nice if the players see the potential and that as a group they could go far as a team together...instead of making a move for the money and just being anybody in a squad...instead of a someone.

This season, although disappointing results wise, is probably a blessing in disguise. Blood and develop the kids, get experience and learn from mistakes. Then kick on next season having learnt.

Some really exciting potential coming through. 

If ever there was a season to keep players this is it...we don't need another scenario of Webster, Reid, Bryan going. Tough though if a player wants to go or a number is triggered in contract.

As for NP...yes he may have limits and need good coaches around him, but imo, he fits our club and fan base. Fans warm to him as they relate and there is no bullshit. He sees and says everything fans do. He's relatable.

Fingers crossed the hard work developing can be kept going as a unit.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

14 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Perhaps - though looking at the Championship table from December 2020, we were in 7th place, five points from the top of the table

Winning games despite getting absolutely battered to **** every week which is why, as I stated on another thread, the points haul will always reflect the performances in the end.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd like to think the club will do everything to keep our talented youngsters. If only...so disheartening when players shine then get sold on, and we have to start again.

It would be nice if the players see the potential and that as a group they could go far as a team together...instead of making a move for the money and just being anybody in a squad...instead of a someone.

This season, although disappointing results wise, is probably a blessing in disguise. Blood and develop the kids, get experience and learn from mistakes. Then kick on next season having learnt.

Some really exciting potential coming through. 

If ever there was a season to keep players this is it...we don't need another scenario of Webster, Reid, Bryan going. Tough though if a player wants to go or a number is triggered in contract.

As for NP...yes he may have limits and need good coaches around him, but imo, he fits our club and fan base. Fans warm to him as they relate and there is no bullshit. He sees and says everything fans do. He's relatable.

Fingers crossed the hard work developing can be kept going as a unit.

It would but I fear a points deduction maybe the price of that, some kind of embargo too but that's a debate for another thread.

However what we've seen in recent weeks, I'm leaning towards taking the chance. A team developing together could be excellent, 2-3 years down the line.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on @Davefevs even Pep wouldn’t get many results/performances from our under 23s. 

I think some of the players have taken a while to readjust from a number of years of training/culture under LJ and DH. It doesn’t happen overnight though does it.

I'm sure a prominent and very vocal local podcast ‘celeb’ would disagree!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

Agree, though we have 2 years max to get promoted (after this year). Though playing every week at their age is huge. We will need to pay them and accept if we do not progress they will. Massengo, Semenyo and Scott are making us into a seriously good side. All 3 will be scouted to death for the rest of this season. The disparity in Prem wages (witness Palmer ) is the issue for us. Such a shame our financial situation risks over riding any ideals we might have of building a promotion side. 

NP has limits as all bosses do. But he knows who to employ around him. Thats what great bosses do. 

Yes I agree...I just hope we have talented players that see the potential in this group, and that they could do well together.

People remember it...it happens infrequently. But just look at the legends the Man Utd kids became having developed together.

If only... Hopefully we have people telling them this daily. The potential is huge as a team. But not if the best leave.

Rose tinted glasses maybe, and it's always easy to see it as an older person rather than a kid seeing the stardom at 'bigger' clubs.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. However...if everything lined up perfectly in the next couple seasons, we have the talent that is developing quickly to do something.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Can you clarify what you mean by this? 

I’ll have a go.

The appointment of Holden as manager/head coach for the 20/21 season was not only bizarre but broke the back of the club, and has led to the 12 month rebuild we have been on.

The games we won during Holden’s tenure, especially at the start of his ‘reign’ were smash and grab affairs, and were unsustainable.

We were awful at home to Coventry first game of the season and scraped it. We got battered at Forest and won. Huddersfield at home was daylight robbery.

I think the poster means, eventually, performances over a period of time will be reflected by your points haul, but there will be spikes of anomalies like with Holden. With Pearson, the performances are coming consistently and will translate into consistent point accumulation. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I’ll have a go.

The appointment of Holden as manager/head coach for the 20/21 season was not only bizarre but broke the back of the club, and has led to the 12 month rebuild we have been on.

The games we won during Holden’s tenure, especially at the start of his ‘reign’ were smash and grab affairs, and were unsustainable.

We were awful at home to Coventry first game of the season and scraped it. We got battered at Forest and won. Huddersfield at home was daylight robbery.

I think the poster means, eventually, performances over a period of time will be reflected by your points haul, but there will be spikes of anomalies like with Holden. With Pearson, the performances are coming consistently and will translate into consistent point accumulation. 

We were awful of that there is no doubt. 

However somehow Holden inherited a physio department that were unable to deal with the massive injury crisis and in many peoples view culpable. 

Hilden was a bizarre appointment but the only luck he had was bad, coupled with a bloated disinterested squad. 

The blame for Holden does not lay with Holden but with the knob wit decisions that were made up to and throughout his tenure. 

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

We were awful of that there is no doubt. 

However somehow Holden inherited a physio department that were unable to deal with the massive injury crisis and in many peoples view culpable. 

Hilden was a bizarre appointment but the only luck he had was bad, coupled with a bloated disinterested squad. 

The blame for Holden does not lay with Holden but with the knob wit decisions that were made up to and throughout his tenure. 

Correct and I have a lot of time for Dean Holden the man. The number one at my football club not so much.

He should never have taken it.

12 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I’ll have a go.

Yep and it wasn't just Holden either, the last year or so under LJ was trending that way too, often winning despite the performance and not because of it. Eventually that catches up with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Correct and I have a lot of time for Dean Holden the man. The number one at my football club not so much.

He should never have taken it.

Yes. He might think that now. But let’s be honest your view was the appointment was bizarre and you are right. Most when offered a promotion on significantly more money are going to give it a go and I don’t blame Holden for that. 

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Yes. He might think that now. But let’s be honest your view was the appointment was bizarre and you are right. Most when offered a promotion on significantly more money are going to give it a go and I don’t blame Holden for that. 

I wouldn’t if not ready. Could damage your career longterm. Holden may never be a Number 1 again.

It is more likely that he was convinced he was ready and was the right man so someone else could selfishly buy time to enact their own exit strategy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Can you clarify what you mean by this? 

Yes, when you are winning games in spite of the performances in the end you stop winning games because the performances are shite and that exactly what happened to us last season. Therefore in the end, with the vast majority of teams, the total points you get will not be far off the level of performances you put in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I wouldn’t if not ready. Could damage your career longterm. Holden may never be a Number 1 again.

It is more likely that he was convinced he was ready and was the right man so someone else could selfishly buy time to enact their own exit strategy.

Maybe. You could speculate all day. My personal thought is your comments are not mutually exclusive. 

He almost certainly did think he was ready. Particularly if people were convincing him of the same. 

I don’t know you so it’s impossible for me to say one way or another what I think you would do. But what I would say is sometimes you just have to take a chance, whether you think your ready or not, as turning an opportunity down can mark you as much as failure and at least you have the experience on your CV. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Winning games despite getting absolutely battered to **** every week which is why, as I stated on another thread, the points haul will always reflect the performances in the end.

Oh god it was horrendous, every single week relying on sheer luck to win games. It was inevitable the eventual drop in results was to come. 

We have come a long way on the pitch performance wise since then, a much more attractive side to watch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1