IGNORED

The biggest of big calls

Silvio Dante

We’re going up next season.

I know this was a three year plan, and we’re 1/3 through it. But I think it’s accelerating.

Nobody could have believed Alex Scott would come in and be a top class Championship CM after this long. Massengo maybe, but his trajectory is off the chart.

Nobody at the start of this season thought Semenyo could be a beast up front.

Nobody at the start of this season thought Pring, excepting an error today, could be this good.

Nobody saw Benarous coming.

We’re currently at 18 months stage when we should be at 9. Check the trajectory. It’s insane. All we need is maturity, and that comes with games, which is happening. A couple of smart additions and we’re there. 

We’ve just dominated 3 games on the bounce. But more than that, it’s the thinking of where we were in November.

Its clicking.

it’s coming.

Put your tenners on.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 3

Love your ambition, but we need a sense of realism, I'd be content with a top half finish next season, but can sort of see where you're coming from. We need to go up in the next few seasons, or we won't in the next 30 years for me. It's a weak division, so can see some curveball promotions coming in the not so distant future, but please don't make this the expectation at the club.

• Like 1

Now hang on. We've improved yes, but I personally don't see anything to indicate a promotion push next season. If you're saying you honestly think we'll be better than two of Burnley, Newcastle, Norwich, Watford and whoever stays in our division then I'll say you're more than generously optimistic. 

Top ten, top 6 with a fair wind and some competent refereeing, is what I'm looking at next season.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

I think my logic here is twofold - momentum and talent.

We’ve “turned the ship around”. The momentum is forward, undoubtedly. You see this in less talented squads - momentum, and teamwork, is key. You only have to look at GJ in 2008 for that. Momentum takes you high. 

So, talent.

I genuinely don’t believe there is a better 3 in midfield at this level than Scott, Massengo and Williams. I think Semenyo has potential to be top level. Kalas is top six. Bentley is better than Max and is top 10. Weimanns goals put him top level this year, before you add the team value.

The fact is you don’t need the best 11 players to go up. You need 5/6 well managed and supported. We have that. 

(and no, I’m not drunk. I’ve seen this coming for a few weeks, but bizarrely a loss to Luton and draw vs Preston tipped me over the edge)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I know this was a three year plan, and we’re 1/3 through it. But I think it’s accelerating.

Nobody could have believed Alex Scott would come in and be a top class Championship CM after this long. Massengo maybe, but his trajectory is off the chart.

Nobody at the start of this season thought Pring, excepting an error today, could be this good.

We’re currently at 18 months stage when we should be at 9. Check the trajectory. It’s insane. All we need is maturity, and that comes with games, which is happening. A couple of smart additions and we’re there. 

We’ve just dominated 3 games on the bounce. But more than that, it’s the thinking of where we were in November.

Its clicking.

it’s coming.

Put your tenners on.

It’s called recognising that a rebuild is going on, and showing patience.  It’s about recognising there will be bumps in the road, disappointing results and performances, whilst not being dragged into seeing just negatives because of results and performances.

Imagine we’d sacked Nige in Oct / Nov like quite a few wanted, or thought should happen even if they didn’t want that to happen per se.

(I know you know that)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Don't forget we could well start next season on -9. :(

Huge improvements made under big Nige though.

No we can’t.  We haven’t broken FFP, nor will we for the cycle ending 2021/22 (this season).

We could be over in the cycle ending 2022/23, but we have 9, 12, 15 months to clear what is likely to be a small amount over £39m.  Certainly not minus 9….nowhere near that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

No we can’t.  We haven’t broken FFP, nor will we for the cycle ending 2021/22 (this season).

We could be over in the cycle ending 2022/23, but we have 9, 12, 15 months to clear what is likely to be a small amount over £39m.  Certainly not minus 9….nowhere near that.

Thanks Fevs, I bow to your vastly superior knowledge. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its clicking.

it’s coming.

Put your tenners on.

Love the enthusiasm. 

Also love the predictable responses. But for a tenner I mate have a punt!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Which again, is why I think we go for it. Not by overspending, but retaining and adding sensibly. @Steve Watts will tell you I called Scott’s value months ago. He’s £20m. Easily. It’s chicken feed for some prem clubs for an 18 year old in the international setup with (what he will have) of 40 games and combined double digits assists/goals at Champ. That’s Spurs catnip. And it will be in a year. 

But if we retain him for a year that value doesn’t drop. And FFP is still not a problem. So we go for it next year, as opposed to selling. It’s totally set up for that.

Think this summer will be massive. We have to accept a few will probably leave, and we just have to hope they're ones who most of us think won't be too detrimental to the long term goal - O'Dowda, Wells, Palmer, Moore, etc.

We'll of course get a few in, but I'm personally not expecting many who will be ready to go on day 1.

Maybe a couple of frees very similar to Klose - but they can be pretty hit and miss as we well know.

Then a couple of youngsters from lower leagues, your Atkinsons and Tanners... they probably won't be really ready for 6 months to a year.

The bit I'm excited for it is if Pearson can bring in a few from abroad as he did at Leicester, then I won't know what to expect.

If it all clicks, I can see us having a decent go next year. If not, it's the one after for me - provided we can find a way to hang out to our current stars.

Either way, exciting times, and I haven't said or felt that in years now.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Flames 1

I love the optimism and I do share it, sadly it depends on some VERY big ‘if’s’.

If we deal with the EFL and FFP and avoid a deduction, and if we keep hold of all/most our myriad of exceptional youngsters, and if some of the older heads lead the boys and stay consistent… then it could happen. But by god it will be difficult. 

41 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its clicking.

it’s coming.

Put your tenners on.

The 3 teams going up next season have already been decided, Burnley, Watford and Norwich!! 

40 minutes ago, marmite said:

More water with it Silvio! 

Seriously though I think our improvement is immense. We could wipe out our debt in the summer but I hope we retain and add what's needed. If we do, that tenner might not sound such a bad idea.

I started on jack daniels and now I’m on the port. We’ll be playing in Europe in five years. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It will help if us Bristolians buy up all them season tickets when they are for sell. Give our bank balance a big boost. Can you imagine with Covid practically gone, 90% or more season tickets sold and the ground pretty full with a really good side we appear to have. Exciting or what.

50 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its clicking.

it’s coming.

Put your tenners on.

I love it!! It does feel like something is starting to build and performances have improved significantly, I can't remember ever being this far down the league table yet so optimistic.

We now have a proper structure to the team and style of play with players that are committed to the cause and put the effort in.

Love it. These are the sort of conversations that we need to have as a 53 year second division club. Following City I’m overly cynical as a result of years of being slammed back down to earth, but it’s the hope that makes it all worth it as well as the thing that kills you. 

Yes it’s going to be a struggle keeping these young players together (I don’t think we will) but if there was ever a way for us to do it it was always going to be like this. A group of exceptionally talented young players who have had time to develop together. 

It’s all going to go to shit, it always does, but there’s nothing wrong with a bit of fantastical excitement every now and again. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its clicking.

it’s coming.

Put your tenners on.

I love this post. YOUUUU REDDDDSSSSS!!!!!

I am genuinely excited about our young 'uns and the possibilities of next year.  Maybe not quite as excited as you @Silvio Dante, but excited.
There may not be FFP problems ( thanks @Davefevs ) but there will be a lot of eyes on some of the talent in the team. Semenyo has had interest already, Massengo and Scott are bound to be on the Prem Radar and others will have noted Pring's improvement.

If we can keep those, add a decent striker and Centre back, I think the Playoff's are a real outside bet , as long as we keep on improving as we have.
The likes of Weimann, Kalas, James are important, but getting older. Massengo and Semenyo will be ambitious. Which means next year could be massive . If we can get HNM & AS to commit to new contracts and we get another full season out of all of them , maybe, just maybe. 

• Like 1