IGNORED

25 Years of OTIB

1960maaan

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

As a boy I used love Woolies - they sold Airfix models and had ones already built suspended from the ceiling. They were superbly made and were spellbinding to a young boy. I could never build them so well…………:sad26:

Sometimes you just had to sand / file down the little jagged bits that broke off the frame.  Ideally you had to paint the bits before committing to glue…but I never had the patience for that.

They we’re great.

Was it Matchbox that did a similar range too?

3 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

My first paid part time job was replenishing the pick n mix at the the fishponds branch… used to stock it all

up on a Friday night after closing, then replenish it all day on a Saturday. Anyone remember the mr blobby sweets?  used to eat more than I replenished.

One perk at Woolworths is the young lads who worked on a Saturday got to choose the music that played.

As a frequent user of the Fishponds Woolworths I always think that Branch was the archetypal Woolworths.

Plastic lemons first bought there which made excellent water pistols.  All the airfix models, many missing key parts and then having to face the hatchet faced assistant to ask for a replacement.  Stocking up at the stationery counter before a new school term - those tiny pencils with a metal cap; where are they now?  And, of course, caps for toy guns and sweets you could afford.  Happy memories.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sometimes you just had to sand / file down the little jagged bits that broke off the frame.  Ideally you had to paint the bits before committing to glue…but I never had the patience for that.

They we’re great.

Yep, it was matchbox but they were nowhere as good as airfix. I used to paint the various internal parts still on the frame. Pilots, machine guns, seats et el. With single seat aircraft I’d paint the inside of the cockpit……….I was a real enthusiast and taught my lad to make his own and he still builds models in his 30’s.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Members on clear vinyl, X Ray Spex The Day the World Turned Dayglo , on Dayglo vinyl, Skids , Into the Valley , picture sleeve…

Bought 'Into the Valley' Skids and 'Sound of the Suburbs' The Members, both picture sleeve, from Stroud Woolies on the same day. Not a bad day's haul. 

Boots used sell records in those days too. Got my first two LPs from them 'Parallel Lines' Blondie and Boomtown Rats 1st. £3.49 each. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

They we’re great.

I was waxing lyrical to my son about the joy of making models as a kid, and he bought me the Airfix Spitfire for Christmas! Haven't made it yet, but can't wait to get stuck in (and get my fingers stuck together)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dave L said:

I was waxing lyrical to my son about the joy of making models as a kid, and he bought me the Airfix Spitfire for Christmas! Haven't made it yet, but can't wait to get stuck in (and get my fingers stuck together)

If it’s the smallest airfix Spitfire they’re dead easy to make. Same with all WW11 single engine aircraft. Paint the pilot first tho!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Correct- and they also had the drummer ( Pete Howard) from Eat, a Bath band so there was a real West Country connection in Joe Strummer's Clash Mk II.

Of course JS’s last home was in Broomfield, few miles north of Taunton. Hence his last gig was at The Palace in Bridgwater, which I was at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I (think) 25 years ago when this place started, my time (working for CompuServe) was split between here and the mailing list #ciderdrinkingsquid #salad - and in all that time....

Never once had an exclusive or anything of any real value to contribute.

Are you Gregor McGregor..? 

7 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

meanwhile the AV residents are moaning because their bus service has been cut, as it’s not viable. Delicious

7 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:
Edited by luke_bristol
Completely broken formatting (still broken but won’t let me remove quotes)

“meanwhile the AV residents are moaning because their bus service has been cut, as it’s not viable. Delicious”

Brilliant stuff. “GIRFUY”, as the jocks would say. If only a major commercial development had occurred in the area, resulting in significant trade and investment in the area, including in transport links.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

As a frequent user of the Fishponds Woolworths I always think that Branch was the archetypal Woolworths.

Plastic lemons first bought there which made excellent water pistols.  All the airfix models, many missing key parts and then having to face the hatchet faced assistant to ask for a replacement.  Stocking up at the stationery counter before a new school term - those tiny pencils with a metal cap; where are they now?  And, of course, caps for toy guns and sweets you could afford.  Happy memories.

Lovely..

You've just described a slice of my childhood...

I myself was deadly with a plastic lemon! ?

4 hours ago, TomF said:

It really did get weird,  They were absolutely obsessed with a few people on here for a while.  I would walk up North Street and get eyeballed many a time, especially walking past a certain shop.  I was told it wasn't my area to stick my orr in because I lived in Portishead.  Despite the fact my parents lived in Ashton Vale for 25 years prior to moving just before I was born and being the 3rd generation of my family to work in this actual building (parents/grandparents both worked for Wills at times). Yet someone who moved from London and supported Chelsea was perfectly ok to lead a crusade against the club.   

As you say the irony is now most of the residents around AG are fed up of the general traffic chaos on match days (x2 with Rugby as well) and the AV residents aren't happy about potentially several 1000 houses making the roads around them busy.   Soak it up, you ******* won, you deal with the consequences. 

Was the Chelsea guy the one who stood up in the council hall and started doing impressions of reversing trucks?

”MEEP, MEEP , MEEP, MEEP”

He’ll have plenty of reference material with a new housing estate being built.

• Haha 2

On 30/01/2022 at 17:00, Barrs Court Red said:

The whole thing was weird.  That Rob F seemed to take the brunt of the North Street mafia.

So weird that they setup their own little message board where a couple of them discussed where I lived, my movements and said that me and other City fans would probably smash up their premises (still happily trading on North Street having survived us nasty football supporters). Also had print outs of OTIB postings pushed through my door by the same lot with anonymous messages too. @TomF was not alone! It's been quite a journey posting on OTIB let alone running it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Was the Chelsea guy the one who stood up in the council hall and started doing impressions of reversing trucks?

”MEEP, MEEP , MEEP, MEEP”

He’ll have plenty of reference material with a new housing estate being built.

Haha. I’d forgotten that! 

My favourite bit was when SL point blank refused to shake Red Trousers hand. I was sat directly behind SL and Maggie and RT was practically begging him by the end of the conversation, Steve was just sat there shaking his head and saying no. I think I leaned over and told Steve I loved him :D 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TomF said:

It really did get weird,  They were absolutely obsessed with a few people on here for a while.  I would walk up North Street and get eyeballed many a time, especially walking past a certain shop.  I was told it wasn't my area to stick my orr in because I lived in Portishead.  Despite the fact my parents lived in Ashton Vale for 25 years prior to moving just before I was born and being the 3rd generation of my family to work in this actual building (parents/grandparents both worked for Wills at times). Yet someone who moved from London and supported Chelsea was perfectly ok to lead a crusade against the club.   

As you say the irony is now most of the residents around AG are fed up of the general traffic chaos on match days (x2 with Rugby as well) and the AV residents aren't happy about potentially several 1000 houses making the roads around them busy.   Soak it up, you ******* won, you deal with the consequences. 

To quote someone more profound than I,

”Well, well, well, if it isn’t the consequences of my actions”

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 25 Years of OTIB