IGNORED

25 Years of OTIB

1960maaan

• The title was changed to 25years of OTIB
Just now, Port Said Red said:

Still miss the pick n mix... :(

it's the totally random goods next to each other in no particular order or logic that made it less about shopping and more about an adventure and if you ever found what you were looking for it sort of felt like you were the Indiana Jones of the shopping world. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

it's the totally random goods next to each other in no particular order or logic that made it less about shopping and more about an adventure and if you ever found what you were looking for it sort of felt like you were the Indiana Jones of the shopping world. 

We used to have a shop like that in Portishead, Morgan Westley's. Mark Steel did a "In Town With" radio show here and described it as "Like going into Narnia". :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As a boy I used love Woolies - they sold Airfix models and had ones already built suspended from the ceiling. They were superbly made and were spellbinding to a young boy. I could never build them so well…………:sad26:

I managed to assemple a spitfire once, but I think it was mainly glue, and there were a lot of small pieces left over. We'd likely all be speaking German now if they'd have based the real thing on my model.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I managed to assemple a spitfire once, but I think it was mainly glue, and there were a lot of small pieces left over. We'd likely all be speaking German now if they'd have based the real thing on my model.

Share that experience.

In my rush to get a plane-like object built I’d often found that important things like the pilot were still in the box attached by his neck to the grey plastic spine.

Don’t think I ever read the instructions, a habit that has stayed with me throughout my life.

Glue in those days was real glue that often melted the plastic. Most of my Subutteo men ended up like dwarfs, most lopsided. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

Now we get to do the joke of Woolworths have also closed down ?.

What not the one in Kingswood opposite that trendy nightclub Chasers and shopping "Mall"...which by the way was a bowling alley and Cinema before that....progress eh:violin::crying:

I remember joining as a teen, and was banned shortly after, so spent a few years on Rivals.net, which was another cracking forum. 

The police actually looked into my comments made on here about placing landmines and snipers nests around Ashton Vale when that village Green nonsense was going on. Amazing how easily outraged some folk are. 

Another thing that sticks in my mind was Sarah B and her ummm fondness of Steve Brooker. 

Ive met a few people off here over the years, and still keep in contact with a few. I think pretty much all of them have left here now. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I remember joining as a teen, and was banned shortly after, so spent a few years on Rivals.net, which was another cracking forum. 

The police actually looked into my comments made on here about placing landmines and snipers nests around Ashton Vale when that village Green nonsense was going on. Amazing how easily outraged some folk are. 

Another thing that sticks in my mind was Sarah B and her ummm fondness of Steve Brooker. 

Ive met a few people off here over the years, and still keep in contact with a few. I think pretty much all of them have left here now. 

Sarah b ? maybe still around under a different name ? No Way Reaction GIF by Laff

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

You can’t leave it like that! What happened?!

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Their record dept was always good value. I was in the Woolworth’s at Weston when I overheard the manager on the telephone being told to withdraw from sale the Sex Pistols ‘ credit card’ sleeve.

I bought six copies with all the money I had on me ! 

Their record ‘ bin’ was also good for Punk records that touched the top fifty . They stocked them but their clientele weren’t really geared up to that type of music so when the records started to drop out of the charts they’d practically give them away. Thank you Woolies.

As a kid I didn’t realise you had to buy the pick n mix ! 

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Did they sell Turkish delight?

There's a great scene in the new film 'Belfast' where the older girls get distract the local shopkeeper and tell the young lad to 'grab some chocolate' - he's grabs a Turkish Delight much to their annoyance 'No one eats Turkish Delight...'

such memories of my own shoplifting days in Woolworths (in Pontefract) - grabbing whatever you could and legging it down the high street pursued by the overweight security

3 hours ago, TomF said:

It was like when I made a throw away comment ‘lemme go and ask what George thinks’ - totally meant as joke. Next day I’ve got GF coming in the office saying he’s been told I’ve threatened him on here and also started an online boycott of the TF Bar even though I’d recommended it for years as a good pub for away fans. The whole AV saga was a sad state of affairs and there are still people in the TF building who look at me in disgust. Yet on here I got accused as being a GF apologist ? 

The whole thing was weird.  That Rob F seemed to take the brunt of the North Street mafia.  

Worked out alright in the end I guess, and relations must have thawed considering Bristol Beer factory have the supply monopoly at the Gate, meanwhile the AV residents are moaning because their bus service has been cut, as it’s not viable. Delicious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Their record dept was always good value. I was in the Woolworth’s at Weston when I overheard the manager on the telephone being told to withdraw from sale the Sex Pistols ‘ credit card’ sleeve.

I bought six copies with all the money I had on me ! 

Their record ‘ bin’ was also good for Punk records that touched the top fifty . They stocked them but their clientele weren’t really geared up to that type of music so when the records started to drop out of the charts they’d practically give them away. Thank you Woolies.

As a kid I didn’t realise you had to buy the pick n mix ! 

I am hoping you still have this important historic collection?

2 hours ago, Antman said:

There's a great scene in the new film 'Belfast' where the older girls get distract the local shopkeeper and tell the young lad to 'grab some chocolate' - he's grabs a Turkish Delight much to their annoyance 'No one eats Turkish Delight...'

such memories of my own shoplifting days in Woolworths (in Pontefract) - grabbing whatever you could and legging it down the high street pursued by the overweight security

Blimey you must be either really young or Pontefract was a truly dodgy area in those days.

If anyone nicked anything or @Major Isewaterhelped himself to the pic n' mix ( positioned between the paint pots and ladies tights), it was always the Manager chasing the kids down the street as his biros flew from his white shirt top pocket.

P.s- Fry's Turkish Delight- I can still remember the advert with the "Arabian style Turkish babe"- it made it look like something worth nicking . The sad reality is that previous pies at BS3 were Michelin star in comparison.

Edited by Marina's Rolls Royce
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I am hoping you still have this important historic collection?

Blimey you must be either really young or Pontefract was a truly dodgy area in those days.

If anyone nicked anything or @Major Isewaterhelped himself to the pic n' mix ( positioned between the paint pots and ladies tights), it was always the Manager chasing the kids down the street as his biros flew from his white shirt top pocket.

I had a fantastic record collection with many rarities. 
I enjoyed those records for many years before sharing them out  amongst other enthusiasts and friends before leaving the UK. 
I have no regrets ( great record by the Walker Brothers) as my treasures all went to good homes .

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I had a fantastic record collection with many rarities. 
I enjoyed those records for many years before sharing them out  amongst other enthusiasts and friends before leaving the UK. 
I have no regrets ( great record by the Walker Brothers) as my treasures all went to good homes .

I couldn't bear to part with mine- the 101ers, Gang of 4, Members, Skids, Eater, X-ray Spex as well as  all the better known usual suspects. My fave is still Bristol's own Cortinas whose 'Fascist Dictator ' was penned in readiness for Mark Ashton although I never heard it sung at the Gate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Still miss the pick n mix... :(

My first paid part time job was replenishing the pick n mix at the the fishponds branch… used to stock it all

up on a Friday night after closing, then replenish it all day on a Saturday. Anyone remember the mr blobby sweets?  used to eat more than I replenished.

One perk at Woolworths is the young lads who worked on a Saturday got to choose the music that played.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I couldn't bear to part with mine- the 101ers, Gang of 4, Members, Skids, Eater, X-ray Spex as well as  all the better known usual suspects. My fave is still Bristol's own Cortinas whose 'Fascist Dictator ' was penned in readiness for Mark Ashton although I never heard it sung at the Gate.

ha! The Cortinas!! - Nick Sheppard the guitarist joined the Clash for a short while i recall

25 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Members on clear vinyl, X Ray Spex The Day the World Turned Dayglo , on Dayglo vinyl, Skids , Into the Valley , picture sleeve…

• Like 1

25 year ago; 1996-97 when were  in League division 2 now known as EFL 1

Stockport              46  23  13  10  59  41  82                   CITY 1 Brentford 2

Luton                     46  21  15  10  71  45  78                   Crewe 2 Luton 1

Brentford              46  20  14  12  56  43  74                  

CITY                     46  21  10  15  69  51  73                   14 May 1997;

Crewe                     46  22    7  17  56  47  73(P)              Brentford 2 CITY 1

Blackpool             46  18  15  13  60  47  69                   Luton 2 Crewe 2

Wrexham              46  17  18  11  54  50  69                  

Burnley                  46  19  11  16  71  55  68                   26 May 1997;

Chesterfield          46  18  14  14  42  39  68                   Brentford 0 Crewe 1

Gillingham            46  19  10  17  60  59  67                  

Walsall                   46  19  10  17  54  53  67

Watford                 46  16  19  11  45  38  67                  

Millwall                  46  16  13  17  50  55  61

Preston                   46  18    7  21  49  55  61

Bournemouth       46  15  15  16  43  45  60

ROVERS              46  15  11  20  47  50  56

Wycombe             46  15  10  21  51  56  55

Plymouth              46  12  18  16  47  58  54

York                       46  13  13  20  47  68  52

Peterborough        46  11  14  21  55  73  47

Shrewsbury           46  11  13  22  49  74  46