IGNORED

Mason Greenwood

Fordy62

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Not been a good week for Man Utd. 

Started off with Rashford and Lingard spending time and being photo'd with drill rapper Wiley, who I can only describe as a Nazi sympathiser based on what he said about Jewish people. Both Rashford and Lingard asked their pr companies to put up half assed apologies on twitter and must use the same one due to the strange choice of the same word. (if you know, you know) 

And now news about Greenwood has come out. More to this story but I don't want to speculate because of legalities but if you piece things together, it becomes clearer. Like why Southgate didn't select him after Iceland. More to it than just the hotel quarentine breech. 

I was thinking this yesterday but was unsure of the time lines. Seemed an odd one that he 'asked' to be left out of the Autumn internationals.

24 minutes ago, The Batman said:

It's a perfectly legitimate point to make. Begs the question did they ask him for a photo and only apologised after the backlash, or did he ask them. I don't know whether they knew who he was or not. I'm too trusting a person and treat it in good faith when someone says something to me (it's a problem of mine) but he's a very popular artist who was banned from all social media because of what he said about Jewish people. He's well known enough in my opinion for them to know who he was. Rashford said he got pulled in for a photo opportunity in a tweet (or his pr company said at least) .... 

If 2 of our white academy players had a pic with Tommy Robinson and used the same excuse Rashford and Lingard's pr company came out with "it was a photo op, wasn't aware of any comments" , would it be as glossed over? I'd say not. I'd say they'd be out of here ASAP. But that's hypothetical and some don't like those on here. 

Glad my questions were taken in the way it was meant, just a general thought really.

I’d be surprised if Rashford didn’t know who Wiley was, but it’s plausible he didn’t know about the comments. 

I think you’re probably right about Tommy Robinson example though not specifically in that circumstance. It’s a little different if the questionable person is bigger than the people they’re having a photo with - I was trying to think of a better example but couldn’t but get the point you’re making 

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Glad my questions were taken in the way it was meant, just a general thought really.

I’d be surprised if Rashford didn’t know who Wiley was, but it’s plausible he didn’t know about the comments. 

I think you’re probably right about Tommy Robinson example though not specifically in that circumstance. It’s a little different if the questionable person is bigger than the people they’re having a photo with - I was trying to think of a better example but couldn’t but get the point you’re making 

Yeah I knew what you meant by it. 

I get my example wasnt quite apples with apples but I was multitasking and couldn't think of anyone else off the top of my head. 

How about David Starkey? As if any footballer would be in a photo with him anyway ?

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 18:04, mozo said:

The comparison of Rashford and Greenwood I find interesting. Both young millionaires with everything handed on a plate. One is potentially abusive (putting it mildly), and one is altruistic. 

So is this nature or nurture or if both where do the two meet?

I don't know anything about Mason Greenwood's background, but I did read (following the current scandal) that he won a competition as a model as a very young boy, receiving a cheque and a year's guidance with an agency.

I have also read several articles about Marcus Rashford's childhood and how, just like Leeds' Kalvin Phillips, they grew up in virtual poverty and were heavily influnced by their mother.

The latter two appear to have developed into thoroughly decent young men.

A coincidence, perhaps, but Mum usually knows best, and it would do these young stars a lot of good if they would remember their roots, rather than let their privileged position go to their heads.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Super said:

Sorry if its a dumb question but what does further arrested mean?

@Fordy62!

Reading the statement, I think it’s that they have established through the questioning of Greenwood they have enough to extend the potential charges, and as opposed to having to give a charge/no charge in the normal timeframe, the additional charges are both a way to increase (correctly assumedly) what he may be on the hook for and subsequently allow further time to hold him.

The statement still refers to one victim, so it must continue to relate to his (hopefully ex) partner.

23 hours ago, The Batman said:

Not been a good week for Man Utd. 

Started off with Rashford and Lingard spending time and being photo'd with drill rapper Wiley, who I can only describe as a Nazi sympathiser based on what he said about Jewish people. Both Rashford and Lingard asked their pr companies to put up half assed apologies on twitter and must use the same one due to the strange choice of the same word. (if you know, you know) 

And now news about Greenwood has come out. More to this story but I don't want to speculate because of legalities but if you piece things together, it becomes clearer. Like why Southgate didn't select him after Iceland. More to it than just the hotel quarentine breech. 

He’s a grime rapper, never made a drill song in his life. And despite his views outside of the music scene which I don’t agree with, he pretty much invented the genre so can understand why they wanted their photos taken with him. He also has several mental health problems so can see that he may have said some things on social media that he probably regrets a lot now.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cityal said:

I am sure @Fordy62 will be able to answer - but i presume in the course of these investigations further offences came to light so they have arrested him again for those.

Right… so it’s fair to say that after the social media allegations GMP had reasonable grounds to suspect he’d committed the offences of rape and assault. He was therefore arrested. 

I would assume that the further arrested means that post his arrest GMP discovered evidence of further offences they now had cause to suspect him of committing. My assumption would be that these would have come through obtaining a statement from the complainant which they probably didn’t have prior to his arrest. 

It doesn’t mean a great deal to be honest, other than that there are other offences that they’re now looking at. It doesn’t give them any more time, but as someone suggested, the range of offences has now increased. 

Being a betting man, I’d suggest a charge is round the corner and he’ll be held by police until court the day after he’s charged. My bet would then be that some highly paid barrister will manage to get him bail further on down the line. 

Edit: I’d definitely have a cheeky ton on him being charged tomorrow. Looks like GMP are really going to town on him - you rarely see Mags Court extensions for anything other than murder. I think he’d have been released by now if they weren’t going to charge him - but I suppose I am wrong on occasions!

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Meanwhile, Raith Rovers have signed rapist David Goodwillie - and their CEO, who presumably would have sanctioned this, is female.  Prosecuters did not pursue the case through the Courts, but Godwillie and another player were ordered to each pay the victim £50,000 through a civil court hearing.

Life long supporter, novelist Val McDermid will no longer sponsor their shirts, and has destroyed her season ticket.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Meanwhile, Raith Rovers have signed rapist David Goodwillie - and their CEO, who presumably would have sanctioned this, is female.  Prosecuters did not pursue the case through the Courts, but Godwillie and another player were ordered to each pay the victim £50,000 through a civil court hearing.

Life long supporter, novelist Val McDermid will no longer sponsor their shirts, and has destroyed her season ticket.

Proper order. 

39 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

That single sentence confirms the sad realisation that I am, signally, a man out of time.

Haha, drill is awful in my opinion, and I’m only 27. Grime is like fast rap that takes significant skill but drill is just talking about shooting people and stabbing people constantly with absolutely minimal ‘flow’ in terms of rapping skill. My opinion obviously but younger people seem to enjoy it I guess so guess I’m not a target audience ?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Lest not forget we were once interested in him......

25 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wow, I had almost forgotten all about them.

Tomorrow Night and Devil's Answer.

They should have left it at the Crazy World of Arthur Brown as without a front-man sporting  blazing antlers there's only one way to go (and it ain't upward...)

28 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

Haha, drill is awful in my opinion, and I’m only 27. Grime is like fast rap that takes significant skill but drill is just talking about shooting people and stabbing people constantly with absolutely minimal ‘flow’ in terms of rapping skill. My opinion obviously but younger people seem to enjoy it I guess so guess I’m not a target audience ?

Thanks for the explanation but I began to get confused when hip-hop morphed into rap and other than Eminem my old-gimmer response has always been:"What's that they said ..."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YCbrs said:

He’s a grime rapper, never made a drill song in his life. And despite his views outside of the music scene which I don’t agree with, he pretty much invented the genre so can understand why they wanted their photos taken with him.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

That single sentence confirms the sad realisation that I am, signally, a man out of time.

I was going to make the same point as YCbrs, but didn't really want to get pulled into the thread just to show I'm a 58-year-old music nerd.

Oh shit. I just have.  :facepalm:

• Haha 4