IGNORED

Chris Martin

GrahamC

Great finisher was very bright first half. And I agree he is fit but I felt he needed a change an hour in. I wouldn’t say tired but his legs looked even heavier than normal. That is for yesterday but agree with the sentiment of the post. He has well and truly exceeded most expectations this season. 

• Like 1

I've frequently been one of the ones saying his performance drops off after too many games in a short space of time but I think that has changed since the change in formation. I think a lot of the issue earlier in the season was that he was pretty much having to do all the work up-front single-handedly and - however fit he is - that's a big ask game-in and game-out. I think the change of formation has really suited him. 

I'd be pleased if he got another year. 

• Like 4

He is playing really well at the moment and making a mockery of some of the tripe that’s been written about him. His three recent goals have all been extremely well taken, but aside from the clinical finish yesterday, the thing that impressed me just as much was his movement. He deserves respect as a footballer and has been disproportionately criticised on here - but then, who hasn’t?

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Now we're not pumping balls from defence/goalie up to him for 90mins and are actually playing through him he's such a more valuable asset in the team. Klose's passes into him yesterday is what we should have been doing from the start.

I still stand by that we have to be careful not to 'burn' him out by playing him for 90 mins week in week out. He has a great work ethic and chases everything he can, but Weimann levels of stamina he does not have, so games like yesterday, I would have liked to have seen Wells/Conway come on for the last 15 as you could tell Martin was flagging.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grifty said:

Now we're not pumping balls from defence/goalie up to him for 90mins and are actually playing through him he's such a more valuable asset in the team. Klose's passes into him yesterday is what we should have been doing from the start.

I still stand by that we have to be careful not to 'burn' him out by playing him for 90 mins week in week out. He has a great work ethic and chases everything he can, but Weimann levels of stamina he does not have, so games like yesterday, I would have liked to have seen Wells/Conway come on for the last 15 as you could tell Martin was flagging.

Absolutely correct. Lump balls up to him at head height and expect him to fight for first and second balls is a waste of his talent. Now we are playing football we are all seeing what a very good footballer and goal scorer he is.

• Like 1

Hopefully Klose may help on a couple of fronts: 1. More sympathetic passes forward, saw some of that yesterday, more to chest than for unlikely flick ons; and 2. Reduce the importance of CM defensively for set pieces - think there’s been a few times this season where he might have come off with 20 mins or so to go, but NP worried that we’ll be left short defensively. 

Overall agree with the OP, CM is very decent striker both in terms of finishing and all round game. Another benefiting from the improvements the team are making as a whole as coaching seems to be kicking in, plus the return of Antoine. 

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Prior to pretty much every game we play these days there is a post on here suggesting he should be rested because he “isn’t up to 3 games in 7 days” so I just wanted to highlight a few things.

As someone who attempted to play up front when I was younger that was a bloody good finish for his goal yesterday, on his left foot, tight angle, across the keeper & in with very little margin of error at the far post.

Secondly, he’s bloody fit, he was 33 in November & has featured in 28/29 league games so far this season, only twice as a sub. This of course is after missing all of the games last season post January, too.

Next, his general game is very decent, holds the ball up, occupies defenders, wins a lot in the air & if you watch the highlights the pass with the outside of his foot to create O’Dowda’s chance is quality. Does smart work for us defensively, as well.

His goal scoring record this season is not bad, 8 in 26 starts now & a nice little run of 3 in his last 3.

I read a post last week saying that players we sign over 30 “don’t work out”, well he has & if he does get another year then he’s certainly earned it.

Will you please refrain from coming on here with sensible posts. This is OTIB ffs.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Semenyo is the big reason for Martin playing better. Not just that he creates space for others but he also takes a lot of the physical side away from Martin. This isn’t a dig at Martin, by the way; just pleased we’ve found this formation.

100% spot on.... Semenyo has allowed us to play further up the pitch which has resulted in Martin being able to show his ability in and around the box, as opposed to having to run the channels or fight for aimless long balls.

CM has always been a clever technical player and he's looking much better now with the balance we have.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grifty said:

I thought both Martin and Semenyo tired with about 15 minutes to go, they didn’t quite close down the side-CBs as well as the game got stretched.

9 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Hopefully Klose may help on a couple of fronts: 1. More sympathetic passes forward, saw some of that yesterday, more to chest than for unlikely flick ons; and 2. Reduce the importance of CM defensively for set pieces - think there’s been a few times this season where he might have come off with 20 mins or so to go, but NP worried that we’ll be left short defensively. 

Overall agree with the OP, CM is very decent striker both in terms of finishing and all round game. Another benefiting from the improvements the team are making as a whole as coaching seems to be kicking in, plus the return of Antoine. 

Klose = passes into the strikers, not hopeful or driven punts into an area.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought both Martin and Semenyo tired with about 15 minutes to go, they didn’t quite close down the side-CBs as well as the game got stretched.

I agree, both were knackered well before the end of the game.

As I've said previously, Martin shouldn't have been expected to do 3 x 90 minutes in a week. He was competing for lumped balls forward from the keeper and centre backs and getting a battering from defenders. In recent games, we have been much more fluid and actually passing the ball to him, playing to his strengths, but I'm still a little bit skeptical of him doing 3 x 90s a week.

Anyway, a bit of a rest for the players as no mid-week game this week, I'm sure some of them need it with the effort put in in the last few games.

• Like 2