IGNORED

Electric cars

Wolf Island

• Admin
On 05/02/2022 at 10:06, Port Said Red said:

But we are quickly running out of dead dinosaurs to fuel them, and in the meantime the industry seems determined to squeeze out as much profit from what there is. My worry would be how long combustion engines will remain viable.

I know it won't last forever but I am taking advantage of every free charge I can find on my journey, Some supermarkets, outlet centres like Clarks Village and the last hotel I stayed in for example.

My hybrid cost me an average of £48pm in fuel on the last year I had it, so far in the first 4 months of having the ev it has cost me £14pm.

I’m assuming pm = per month, not per mile ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

Which menu is that in? Is it in the info app?

Check the image in the below link:

https://www.carbuyersguide.net/uploaded/used_cars_images/fullhd/Toyota_Corolla_1.8_2019_Cork-ad11832643pic15.jpg

Use the left and right buttons on the steering wheel and up/down if needed to get the display.

You can see the line in the middle of eco which means top end motor effort.

5 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Check the image in the below link:

https://www.carbuyersguide.net/uploaded/used_cars_images/fullhd/Toyota_Corolla_1.8_2019_Cork-ad11832643pic15.jpg

Use the left and right buttons on the steering wheel and up/down if needed to get the display.

You can see the line in the middle of eco which means top end motor effort.

Got it. I'd seen that before but had no idea what it was ?

• Robin 1

On 07/02/2022 at 12:19, Pickle Rick said:

Kia EV6 and Polestar 2 worth a mention of you want higher mileage capacity.

Have you driven the Polestar?

I'll be needing a family car this year. Parents have had a Tesla Model S for about 7 years now and it's lush. I probably won't be able to wait for/afford the Model Y though so am looking around at some of the options (now that there actually are some).

48 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Have you driven the Polestar?

I'll be needing a family car this year. Parents have had a Tesla Model S for about 7 years now and it's lush. I probably won't be able to wait for/afford the Model Y though so am looking around at some of the options (now that there actually are some).

No I've not, although I'd be keen to try it.

I would say give it a test drive if possible and check a couple reputable reviews.

VW ID 3 or 4 may be worth a shout too ??

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

I would say give it a test drive if possible and check a couple reputable reviews.

The ID3 was my preferred option when I bought the Corsa, but as it was so new the 2nd hand options were still out of my price range. I drove one though and it was very nice and more my size of car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Yeh I'll be looking to test drive in the spring once we're settled back in the UK.

If the Model Y was available to us then I'd buy one no questions asked. Mum and Dad's experience of the Model S is just fantastic. They've loved it from the start, regularly drive it from Somerset up to Scotland and back, have done trips on the continent with it. It's just incredible.

But it's looking like a long wait and with a 1 year old we will need a car fairly sharpish, so am looking at some alternative options. Tbh the Polestar looks a little underpowered unless you go for the top spec model. Ioniq 5 looks decent though and has better advertised charging stats than the ID4, although ID4 has the better range I really don't see the need for more than 300miles per charge...realistically how often does the average family drive more than 300 miles without stopping for 30 minutes? 200 - 250 is more than enough really.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh I'll be looking to test drive in the spring once we're settled back in the UK.

If the Model Y was available to us then I'd buy one no questions asked. Mum and Dad's experience of the Model S is just fantastic. They've loved it from the start, regularly drive it from Somerset up to Scotland and back, have done trips on the continent with it. It's just incredible.

But it's looking like a long wait and with a 1 year old we will need a car fairly sharpish, so am looking at some alternative options. Tbh the Polestar looks a little underpowered unless you go for the top spec model. Ioniq 5 looks decent though and has better advertised charging stats than the ID4, although ID4 has the better range I really don't see the need for more than 300miles per charge...realistically how often does the average family drive more than 300 miles without stopping for 30 minutes? 200 - 250 is more than enough really.

This is the thing. How far do you generally drive. As long as the mileage is reasonable for your journeys, then fine.

I have the 'self-charging' Toyota as it's a better option due to my job. I can drive anywhere from 5-200 miles to my place of work. I don't want to be leaving at 6am and going to the depths of Devon/Cornwall/Ceredigion/Pembrokeshire with a vehicle that may struggle one way.

But my colleague barely would do 100 miles one way so has opted for the ID3 ??

With the petrol/diesel preference being shed on short/long or B-road/faster A-road journeys; I believe we will likely see the option instead being EV for lower mileage drivers and HFC (Hydrogen Fuel Cell) for the longer mileage drivers. 

The Toyota HFC Mirai can do over 600 miles using (preferably green) Hydrogen before refueling.

Edited by Pickle Rick

4 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

This is the thing. How far do you generally drive. As long as the mileage is reasonable for your journeys, then fine.

I have the 'self-charging' Toyota as it's a better option due to my job. I can drive anywhere from 5-200 miles to my place of work. I don't want to be leaving at 6am and going to the depths of Devon/Cornwall/Ceredigion/Pembrokeshire with a vehicle that may struggle one way.

But my colleague barely would do 100 miles one way so has opted for the ID3 ??

With the petrol/diesel preference being shed on short/long or B-road/faster A-road journeys; I believe we will likely see the option instead being EV for lower mileage drivers and HFC (Hydrogen Fuel Cell) for the longer mileage drivers. 

The Toyota HFC Mirai can do over 600 miles using (preferably green) Hydrogen before refueling.

Exactly, I'll be working from home when I move back, or possibly commuting into London by train.

The car will be used for short local shopping trips, and then long motorway trips around the middle of the country (Birmingham, Bristol, MK and Cambridge kind of area). That part of the road network is positively littered with service stations and chargers, and with a young kid I'm going to be stopping for multiple toilet and food breaks aren't I! We will do the occasional trip to more remote areas, but that's going to be once or twice a year max.

So for me max range is lower on my list of concerns, but a sub-20 minute 80% charge time would be great, plus I want some good cruising comfort, and a naughty 0-60 time.

HFC is interesting. Honestly I've been out of the country for 3 years so really a bit behind on where the market is and what is available.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Exactly, I'll be working from home when I move back, or possibly commuting into London by train.

The car will be used for short local shopping trips, and then long motorway trips around the middle of the country (Birmingham, Bristol, MK and Cambridge kind of area). That part of the road network is positively littered with service stations and chargers, and with a young kid I'm going to be stopping for multiple toilet and food breaks aren't I! We will do the occasional trip to more remote areas, but that's going to be once or twice a year max.

So for me max range is lower on my list of concerns, but a sub-20 minute 80% charge time would be great, plus I want some good cruising comfort, and a naughty 0-60 time.

HFC is interesting. Honestly I've been out of the country for 3 years so really a bit behind on where the market is and what is available.

Long way for infrastructure on HFC, but funding is 'appearing' as such. Not much in terms of vehicle options either.

If you've not seen it before, download the Zap Map app. It uses Google Maps and shows the charge points and types located. 

Slightly contradicting myself, but you'll find many charge points are located in areas of which you'd perhaps least expect.

52 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Long way for infrastructure on HFC, but funding is 'appearing' as such. Not much in terms of vehicle options either.

If you've not seen it before, download the Zap Map app. It uses Google Maps and shows the charge points and types located. 

Slightly contradicting myself, but you'll find many charge points are located in areas of which you'd perhaps least expect.

Haha. When dad first got the Tesla he revelled in getting a map out and plotting put his route via the chargers. Obviously the car could tell him, but at the time there were only a couple of dozen superchargers, and the old man likes his maps.

Then they did the Hilton partnership and installed them at all the hotels.

Good to hear the electric infrastructure is coming properly online.

14 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I have been using Zap Map for the feedback from other users more than anything else. Their Newsletter email is good though, it keeps you up to date with the latest enterprises such as this

https://www.zap-map.com/osprey-partners-ediston-rapid-ev-charging/

• Thanks 1

I’ve jumped off the electric car bandwagon.  Looking at the costs 3 years on it makes more sense to hand mine back and go ICE for a few years. 

Moving house was the first red flag. £1k to put a charger in is pretty eye watering when my first one cost £150.  And without a charger, public charging points are insanely priced; £20 a day in this weather because of course, batteries don’t do so well in the cold. 

The 2nd was the price of the car itself.  They’re so far over other platforms considering the lifetime of the battery it’s just not worth the difference - that price has to come down as more are built and economies of scale kick in, but presently there value just isn’t there. 

It is an incredibly good ride though, and as range gets better and costs come down they’ll become a no brainer. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I’ve jumped off the electric car bandwagon.  Looking at the costs 3 years on it makes more sense to hand mine back and go ICE for a few years. 

Moving house was the first red flag. £1k to put a charger in is pretty eye watering when my first one cost £150.  And without a charger, public charging points are insanely priced; £20 a day in this weather because of course, batteries don’t do so well in the cold. 

The 2nd was the price of the car itself.  They’re so far over other platforms considering the lifetime of the battery it’s just not worth the difference - that price has to come down as more are built and economies of scale kick in, but presently there value just isn’t there. 

It is an incredibly good ride though, and as range gets better and costs come down they’ll become a no brainer. 

I have the Octopus Agile tariff and at it's most expensive it costs around 18p per KWh between around 11pm and 7am. On occasions (when the wind was blowing) coming up to Xmas they were actually paying me to use electric across that period! I have never added a charger to my house as, despite already having electric in my garage, I was quoted an extra £1000 to run a dedicated line to the garage on top of the cost of install. I charge from a standard 13amp socket at around 3KWh an hour so and overnight charge adds plenty for me most of the time. I rarely charge when I am out and about these days, going up to London for the West Ham game cost me around £22 to charge at the hotel to get home again, which is OK, but would have cost me about £5 at home. The cars 2nd hand are not too bad, I am looking at the Hyundai Kona which 2nd hand I can get at around £20k, with a 300 mile range I am even less likely to have to charge away from home too.