IGNORED

That Massengo Stepover

Port Said Red

I know he has a thread already, but I wanted to talk about just one aspect of Saturdays performance. I have seen players using "stepovers" so often in recent years, and thought how little effect they seem to have, other than to often bamboozle themselves rather than the opponent.

I have watched that 2nd goal a few times now and I don't think I have ever seen it used so effectively. Han breezed past their player so easily it was almost embarrassing, it was as effective as Cruyff's great turn or the "Walshy shuffle". 

It's rare to see a player beaten and being left facing the wrong direction and that moment deserves to be a meme for years to come.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I know he has a thread already, but I wanted to talk about just one aspect of Saturdays performance. I have seen players using "stepovers" so often in recent years, and thought how little effect they seem to have, other than to often bamboozle themselves rather than the opponent.

I have watched that 2nd goal a few times now and I don't think I have ever seen it used so effectively. Han breezed past their player so easily it was almost embarrassing, it was as effective as Cruyff's great turn or the "Walshy shuffle". 

It's rare to see a player beaten and being left facing the wrong direction and that moment deserves to be a meme for years to come.

Glen Roeder of Newcastle was a great exponent of this type of step over. I copied him and got away with it a few times. Trick is to play a couple of passes with the outside of the foot past an opponent just out of reach and he is then sucked into the final dummy one expecting another pass.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes, it was a great stepover by Massengo. Didn’t he also do one in the build up to Martin’s goal earlier this season at QPR? 

That move will always be associated with Walshy for me, he was the master of it. It seemed to work every time. 

Believe that was 'the shuffle' (which he should have ™️'d).

It was just one move; but seemingly other worldly. Number of times competent defenders were bamboozled by it.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 20:00, ralphindevon said:

I can’t be the only one who when Han gets his first goal, at home late in the game, a winner curled in the top corner from outside the box - is going to run on the pitch and ruffle his hair?

I wonder what we`d do if we were three up at home with five minutes left and got a penalty. Would he take it? Would you want him to?

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I wonder what we`d do if we were three up at home with five minutes left and got a penalty. Would he take it? Would you want him to?

I dunno, I think I’d prefer a proper goal. He’s going to knock one in from the edge of the box soon I think…..hope

• Like 2

• Admin
44 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Remind me. Why are we supposed to hate Cunningham?

I think he was properly playing up to the crowd when they beat us in his first game back at AG? 

(I personally don't mind that, it's pantomime as long as we give some back....but preferable if we win obviously lol)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Remind me. Why are we supposed to hate Cunningham?

Because of a misconstrued idea (from our fans) that he was angry with City and their fans.

My perception was that it was rather he was angry with the manager who shipped him out - hence his antics (towards said manager) when he first returned to Ashton Gate.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

I think he was properly playing up to the crowd when they beat us in his first game back at AG? 

(I personally don't mind that, it's pantomime as long as we give some back....but preferable if we win obviously :laugh:)

See above.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

(I personally don't mind that, it's pantomime as long as we give some back....but preferable if we win obviously :laugh:)

And he got Flint sent off up at Deepdale too.  A bit sly.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 14:20, Port Said Red said:

These things make the season ticket worth buying

• Thanks 1