IGNORED

Three windows

Eddie Notgetinya

I’m so with you Eddie.

Its imperative we keep them.  Pring too.

Im hoping that turning down £8m for Massengo in the summer is a sign that we’ve done 90% of the heavy lifting re our losses / costs, and we are in a position where we can decide when to sell and for what amount we will do business.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the sentiment but football doesn't ever really work like that in reality. We are in the shit with our finances and I'm mostly worried with keeping our value with Massengo. His contract is up at the end of next season with no option. He's potentially outgrown us currently and I'm sure he has his own ambition further up the pyramid. I hope we don't keep him in the short team for another Diedhiou situation.

Do agree with a lot of the things you've said but personally think a play off charge next season is still a bit far fetched. This season was all about surviving and keeping us in the league. Next season I'd say would be the true beginning of the rebuild. A mid table finish with good football and hopefully a more solid defence. Id say the season after would be when we "go for it".

Just can't see us brining in the players during the summer for us to get in the top 6. Maybe the winter World Cup might help us out a bit with a rest, or it could stall our season and take any momentum we might have. Right now I'd be happy with a top half finish next year where we win games convincingly and cut out this pathetic run of conceding in the final minutes. It's been the first time in about 3/4 years I'm enjoying the football again. I can take a defeat or draw if I've just watched the lads give their all for 90 minutes and actually entertain us, which is what we've been getting. It's quite comforting knowing we're in safe hands with Nige, I genuinely trust him with our club going forward. 

I get the sentiment but it is just fantasy stuff to say “I’d happily lose Palmer & Wells & I don’t care where they go”.

They are on a rumoured £47k a week between them, that’s why we can’t get rid.

We need to stay inside FFP, Pearson is having to build a squad under much tougher restrictions than any manager of ours in years & sadly we will have to sell (at least) one of these to fund it.

The problems were caused by Ashton & LJ, but Pearson & Gould are being asked to solve them.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I get the sentiment but it is just fantasy stuff to say “I’d happily lose Palmer & Wells & I don’t care where they go”.

They are on a rumoured £47k a week between them, that’s why we can’t get rid.

We need to stay inside FFP, Pearson is having to build a squad under much tougher restrictions than any manager of ours in years & sadly we will have to sell (at least) one of these to fund it.

The problems were caused by Ashton & LJ, but Pearson & Gould are being asked to solve them.

Completely agree, if it was that easy to get those two off our books we would of done that by now.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m so with you Eddie.

Its imperative we keep them.  Pring too.

Im hoping that turning down £8m for Massengo in the summer is a sign that we’ve done 90% of the heavy lifting re our losses / costs, and we are in a position where we can decide when to sell and for what amount we will do business.

Unless the player is determined to jump at the first offer of a Premier club, we should do our absolute best to hold on to the crop of young one's.

Pearson is probably advising or wanting to stay here in the first team in the toughest second tier league in the world. They will improve quicker in our side rather than playing under 23 at a Premier club or being loaned out to another Championship club.

If they stay, improve significantly in a year or 18 months, we will get much higher offers and they will be nearly ready to go straight into a Premier club first team squad with a fatter weekly pay cheque.  And we could be taking them to the promised land anyway!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Three transfer windows. That’s the default for assessing a new managers squad. Today, for the first time I’m not worried about incomings. The next three windows could be the most important we’ve had in a recent memory but for different reasons.

With alleged multiple bids coming in for Semenyo today I found myself getting worked up. For the first time in a long time I’ve started to enjoy this football club again. It feels like we are starting to repair the damage following the devastation left behind from hurricane Ashton. The football has improved, Ashton gate has its buzz back and I’m proud to see so many academy players in the squad. For years we have heard how the club is premier league ready, well, now there’s a manager I actually believe in and maybe we might be in a position to challenge sooner rather than later. There is a rather large elephant in the room though….FFP.

Losses of 38.4 million does not make for pretty reading. We have saleable assets. I’d be happy to lose Palmer and Wells and I don’t really care where they go. As far as replacements go we had the answers at the club all along. Inevitably we now face a battle to keep hold of those answers. Surely every club in the championship (excluding those with parachute payments) are in the same boat so this is our chance settle the squad and get ready for next years playoff charge. The EFL won’t punish every team with points deductions, they simply can’t - Allowances must be made for the league to survive. City have operated admirably and led the way with regard to finances, it’s the pandemic that brought the debt and that is something that could not be foreseen. Whilst all those around us start to recover, we MUST take our chance.  I’m not suggesting spending money we don’t have but let’s keep what we’ve got. Put simply Semenyo, Scott and Massengo need to be at City this time next year. They will outgrow us and they will retain value but we can’t keep selling talent after one season - particularly when it all comes along at once and that’s what has given us a chance when it seemed like we were so far away.

Next season could be the most exciting yet……

I said elsewhere, I'm excited about the possibilities , but.

This is a big but, can we hold on to young ambitious players. Add in the losses, and the fact that most Prem sides still got their £100m during COVID and things are against us. HNM came here as he just wanted to play, there were top European sides interested, but he was promised football, and for once we didn't let him down . Apparently happy in Bristol, I think I'm right that his family live here too, so few things on our side. But he will leave for a big Club at some time. Semenyo must have ambitions to play in the Prem, we knocked back Chelsea before I believe, I wonder if he has any affection for them ? Scott being slightly younger, and Pring gradually working his way up I have more confidence we have more time with.

I honestly don't see Massengo here after next year, probably the same with Semenyo . This is where luck and timing come in. If we can tie them down to new contracts with the promise of letting them go if they give us a year. Then we have the makings of a good side. If we were out of contention next Jan, they'll most likely go, but if stars align and we can find 2/3 quality signings then who knows. 

21 hours ago, RedRoss said:

I agree with the sentiment but football doesn't ever really work like that in reality. We are in the shit with our finances and I'm mostly worried with keeping our value with Massengo. His contract is up at the end of next season with no option. He's potentially outgrown us currently and I'm sure he has his own ambition further up the pyramid. I hope we don't keep him in the short team for another Diedhiou situation.

Putting Covid, the Ashton affect and parachute payments aside, if BCFC cannot break even who can? We use our stadium each week (due to Rugby) rather every other week. We have great food and drink options at the ground so less revenue is lost to local pubs, we have a good summer concert program and uses for non football use of the buildings seems to be growing. Our attendance numbers are pretty good for this league and our season ticket prices are towards the highest in the Championship.

I have the feeling that since Covid, clubs have become more realistic on wages and if the stupid parachute payment system could be changed the league should become viable for a well run club.

My hope is that in summer we will cut our loses and move Palmer and Wells on and that SL will look ahead seeing a better picture.

In this way perhaps we could challenge for the prem not by spending big but by keeping our price assets.

21 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Would you rather…

be paid 15k a week playing first team football 

or

be paid 80k a week warming the bench at Bournemouth.

that’s the equation.

£80k easy. Not sure how this is even a debate? 

But equally none of players will demand that money right now.

Would you rather earn £15k or £30k is more the question.

This is definitely an exciting time to be a City fan IMO but if Scott, Massengo, Semenyo or Pring say they want to leave, they'll be sold. That's the bottom line. For context, all of them seem to be delighted to be playing for Pearson and Fleming and I don't think it's beyond the realms to see them with us until the end of this "journey". 

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Putting Covid, the Ashton affect and parachute payments aside, if BCFC cannot break even who can? We use our stadium each week (due to Rugby) rather every other week. We have great food and drink options at the ground so less revenue is lost to local pubs, we have a good summer concert program and uses for non football use of the buildings seems to be growing. Our attendance numbers are pretty good for this league and our season ticket prices are towards the highest in the Championship.

I have the feeling that since Covid, clubs have become more realistic on wages and if the stupid parachute payment system could be changed the league should become viable for a well run club.

My hope is that in summer we will cut our loses and move Palmer and Wells on and that SL will look ahead seeing a better picture.

In this way perhaps we could challenge for the prem not by spending big but by keeping our price assets.

I'm not sure all those revenue streams can be applied to FFP, also I don't think all teams outside of parachute payment clubs splurged like we did in recent years i.e 8 million on Kalas, 4 on Wells, 3 on Kasey ect.

1 hour ago, tin said:

This is definitely an exciting time to be a City fan IMO but if Scott, Massengo, Semenyo or Pring say they want to leave, they'll be sold. That's the bottom line. For context, all of them seem to be delighted to be playing for Pearson and Fleming and I don't think it's beyond the realms to see them with us until the end of this "journey". 

They will all go at some point,

But you make an excellent point about them enjoying playing for Pearson,

Since a few of the bad apples have gone, there does seem to be a distinct change in atmosphere around the club, that will have a baring on things,

Ultimately they will want to play in the top flight and we won't stand in their way of that, if said top flight clubs come knocking

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

They will all go at some point,

But you make an excellent point about them enjoying playing for Pearson,

Since a few of the bad apples have gone, there does seem to be a distinct change in atmosphere around the club, that will have a baring on things,

Ultimately they will want to play in the top flight and we won't stand in their way of that, if said top flight clubs come knocking

Of course they'll all go at some point, nothing lasts for ever. But I think any talk of them leaving any time soon might be premature when you consider they're all enjoying playing for Pearson. We've tied up Benarous' future today as well. That all changes if one of them wants to go, though. 

Nige said it's a three-year project. If they all stay until the end of that project, Semenyo will be 24, Massengo 22, Pring 26, Benarous and Scott both 20. They will have had two more years of development in the Championship and still have the prime of their careers ahead of them. I wouldn't bet against them playing for us in the PL. 

We don't need to sell one of them to stay within FFP as I understand, although it would obviously help. 

27 minutes ago, tin said:

Of course they'll all go at some point, nothing lasts for ever. But I think any talk of them leaving any time soon might be premature when you consider they're all enjoying playing for Pearson. We've tied up Benarous' future today as well. That all changes if one of them wants to go, though. 

Nige said it's a three-year project. If they all stay until the end of that project, Semenyo will be 24, Massengo 22, Pring 26, Benarous and Scott both 20. They will have had two more years of development in the Championship and still have the prime of their careers ahead of them. I wouldn't bet against them playing for us in the PL. 

We don't need to sell one of them to stay within FFP as I understand, although it would obviously help. 

They should look at model-pro Josh Brownhill.  Keep your head down, keep improving on the pitch, keep the club honest off the pitch by having a good agent.  Get your contract renegotiated regularly and when the time comes, go to a club that are gonna play you.