IGNORED

A Good Window

Port Said Red

4 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Same, Palmer and wells should have gone.

Not down NP but this but it would have ment better options in the summer. 

The only teams that wanted them are below us on the league (not including qpr as I don't think they were really interested)

Np did the right thing as did the Clun, why strengthen a rival at our detriment,

While relegation is unlikely its still a threat and strengthen Cardiff and Birmingham is stupid, the cost of wages for another 5 months is worth not losing the revenue relegation would bring

No I don't think we will be relegated just putting it in the club's prospective 

• Like 6

I think its also an encouraging sign that the club aren't in a financial situation where we had to sell our best players last night.  A good sign that we are able to reject bids and hopefully sends a message to other clubs about how we'll respond/negotiate in the summer.

I'd love it now if Han signed a new contract. :fingerscrossed:

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

I wonder if we may let some go by mutual consent now the window is closed. 

Can’t play for anyone else this season if we do, so doubt it.
James Morton was rumoured but that changes very little.

Pretty obvious to say but we have some big decisions in the summer, trying to get rid of Wells & (particularly) Palmer won’t prove much easier & we have far fewer out of contract this summer, meaning the ability to re-shape the squad will probably depend on a sale & how those negotiations go.

Palmer is the interesting one, DaSilva has shown you can still put your thumb out and hitch a lift on the bus, so maybe Palmer will now realise that he is not as in demand as he thought and if he wants a football career of any note then he needs to find the right change for the bus driver to let him back on.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

I hope they all stay beyond the summer.

Yeah, the summer window will be an interesting time especially if SL remains committed to his sustainability strategy. City have already lost Kelly, Bryan, Reid to help fill the coffers and if that strategy continues to apply then the likes of Semenyo, Massengo and Pring are likely to be off and that has to be a concern for everyone. Replacing any of them like for like would be almost impossible.

Repeatedly selling the best players vastly inhibits any manager trying to build a promotion squad but Nige would have been aware of that when he signed his three year deal so will know what’s coming this summer.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Can’t play for anyone else this season if we do, so doubt it.
James Morton was rumoured but that changes very little.

Pretty obvious to say but we have some big decisions in the summer, trying to get rid of Wells & (particularly) Palmer won’t prove much easier & we have far fewer out of contract this summer, meaning the ability to re-shape the squad will probably depend on a sale & how those negotiations go.

I guess things might have happened in the background but official announcements not made, e.g. Morton, Britton???

23 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Palmer has surprised me this season. Thought he looked really good in preseason, was covering a lot of ground and was getting stuck in with pressing. Looked good against Fulham at home too, wonder if there's something else going on as to why he can't get a look in.

Same here. He played well when NP first took over and can weigh in with goals. There was also that time he played for the U23s in a bid to show his commitment. But something clearly isn’t right behind the scenes. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yeah, the summer window will be an interesting time especially if SL remains committed to his sustainability strategy. City have already lost Kelly, Bryan, Reid to help fill the coffers and if that strategy continues to apply then the likes of Semenyo, Massengo and Pring are likely to be off and that has to be a concern for everyone. Replacing any of them like for like would be almost impossible.

Repeatedly selling the best players vastly inhibits any manager trying to build a promotion squad but Nige would have been aware of that when he signed his three year deal so will know what’s coming this summer.

It's not just a case of saying 'no' to any bid that comes in though is it? The players want to be happy to stay here and not go chasing the bigger money offers that will inevitably some along if their form keeps up.

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Palmer is the interesting one, DaSilva has shown you can still put your thumb out and hitch a lift on the bus, so maybe Palmer will now realise that he is not as in demand as he thought and if he wants a football career of any note then he needs to find the right change for the bus driver to let him back on.

He wont start to play until he has 6 months to go on his contract and is trying to attract the next sucker. Tomlin all over again

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

As it stands he doesn't have enough of an all round game to be in demand., especially at £20k+ pw wages. He'll be on those wages for another season and a half, then he'll be lucky to be on £4K pw somewhere at the bottom of the Championship, or more probably League One.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

The only teams that wanted them are below us on the league (not including qpr as I don't think they were really interested)

Np did the right thing as did the Clun, why strengthen a rival at our detriment,

While relegation is unlikely its still a threat and strengthen Cardiff and Birmingham is stupid, the cost of wages for another 5 months is worth not losing the revenue relegation would bring

No I don't think we will be relegated just putting it in the club's prospective 

Where I struggle a bit is the idea of ‘ strengthening ‘a rival. 
We’re not talking about key members of the first team but marginal misfits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Where I struggle a bit is the idea of ‘ strengthening ‘a rival. 
We’re not talking about key members of the first team but marginal misfits.

But if those marginal misfits go onto become key members for Cardiff (pack) and they stay up by a point and we are relegated by a point, it looks poor business then

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

Palmer has surprised me this season. Thought he looked really good in preseason, was covering a lot of ground and was getting stuck in with pressing. Looked good against Fulham at home too, wonder if there's something else going on as to why he can't get a look in.

Other than better younger players playing in his place I can’t think of one single reason why he doesn’t start. 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

But if those marginal misfits go onto become key members for Cardiff (pack) and they stay up by a point and we are relegated by a point, it looks poor business then

Pack is a key member of a team that is below us in the table .

Of course there are no guarantees that Palmer or Wells won’t suddenly turn into world beaters but it is unlikely and whilst getting those wages off of our wage bill I would have confidence that the club could bring in more effective players for less , thus making us stronger.

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Pack is a key member of a team that is below us in the table .

Of course there are no guarantees that Palmer or Wells won’t suddenly turn into world beaters but it is unlikely and whilst getting those wages off of our wage bill I would have confidence that the club could bring in more effective players for less , thus making us stronger.

There wasn't enough time or enough money to bring in better players yesterday,

Im not talking about keeping them beyond this season, but to lend them to Cardiff until the end of the season while we aren't technically save is poor business 

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

It's not just a case of saying 'no' to any bid that comes in though is it? The players want to be happy to stay here and not go chasing the bigger money offers that will inevitably some along if their form keeps up.

That goes without saying………:dunno:

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

The challenge is they we are now selling to fill a hole, not necessarily reinvest.

When we sold big last time, there was nowhere as big a hole to fill. That has been created after.

Three abiding thoughts about this window.

Firstly that the decision makers are pretty confident we are playing in this league next year with minor tweaks and there is no need to take any financial risks.

Secondly, whilst finances are tight, they are not desperate to the extent we have to sell a jewel or two.

Thirdly, it’s tough as nails to shift players on higher than average wages unless Premiership money is involved somewhere in the chain, post covid.

Edited by cityexile

9 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Cheers Drive!